Does it make sense to clean up spelling and punctuation right away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
But other than that, I don't go back and edit until I type "The End." Why bother changing minor grammatical issues when I may eliminate or change the entire sentence, paragraph or scene on my second pass?

Well, for me, not fixing minor things now means I'll definitely have to change everything later. I can't tell how good or how bad a sentence is unless the grammar and punctuation are correct. This really means I don't just change minor punctuation, I change everything now, so I won't have to do so later.

Changing things later almost always means there's a whole blasted novel that needs changing, maybe even rewritten and revised. That's more work than I want to do, and slower than I want to write.

So I change the tiny things on the page I'm writing. Then I change everything these tiny changes make me change, and then I change the big things, and then, when I'm finished, I go through and change the tiny things again.

But I see your point. I just know that, for me, there is no such thing a s a tiny change. Anything I leave undone in a sentence is a major thing because it doesn't let me see the sentence as it really is.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
What method allows you to actually finish? What method gets you into a loop? The first you should do; the second, avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.