Ireland voted for gay marriage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
A very good day indeed. You and I are around the same age, Miranda - hard to think that we were both alive at a time when homosexuality was actually illegal in the UK and Ireland. We have moved on a long way.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
From what I heard, Australia is looking to follow suit, with something like a 72% approval rating despite its illegality. Here's hoping!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
From what I heard, Australia is looking to follow suit, with something like a 72% approval rating despite its illegality. Here's hoping!

However, their PM Tony Abbott has ruled out a referendum: here, for example.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
It's just too bad that it took a referendum to clear up something that should have been a basic human right decades ago. With referendums, the people are choosing. Who's to say that in ten years another referendum won't be held and you have the opposite decision? (Doubtful, just saying, though)

It's good news for those who wish to marry among the LGB set. Personally, I think you should be able to marry anyone you want to, but then again, I'm not a lawmaker. Good for Ireland.

Isobel Lindley

writing as Eleanor Beresford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eberesford.com
The world has changed so much since I was a kid. It would have seemed like an impossible dream. Ireland! <3

Referendum or not, Australia will get there eventually. We just have to keep pushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.