Uploading image to AW Library

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to add my debut to the Library, but keep getting denied at the add cover image stage. I click the "Insert Image" button and all looks fine until I click upload, and then nothing doing. I've tried adding it via url from Photobucket (the error message states that the “remote file” is too large) and by uploading it from my computer (which is an option in the Library, though it isn't here in this thread). That message claims that the file is not a valid image file. I've tried both methods multiple times.

The image is a jpeg (.jpg), sized 400px x 256px, 72dpi, per the guidelines. It's 48.4KB.

Oddly, it will allow me to insert it here from Photobucket (see below). I went back to the Library upon discovering that, but still no dice.

Any insights or suggestions would be gratefully received!

GB

(Image as uploaded here)
b20f954f-4ce5-4bbc-9e30-eab78f3871bc.jpg

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This doesn't help solve your problem, but I right-clicked on your image above, highlighted/copied the photobucket .jpg's URL, started a new thread in one of the Library sub-forums, pasted the URL into the post, added img tags around this, just like you did, and previewed my post -- and the image displayed A-OK.

Which Library sub-forum were you trying to post in? Just in case that somehow makes a difference.

-Derek

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Derek! The subforum is Mainstream/Contemporary/Literary. But you know, I hadn't thought to add the image tags manually, I'd only tried adding the image via the "Insert Image" button in the tools above. I'll go try that now and report back whether I'm successful...

UPDATE: :Hail: dpatterso. It's all set now, tags added manually. Thank you, thank you.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
lol well okay, glad that worked, I didn't even think adding the tags manually was the solution, it's just something I do out of habit, I guess.

When I click on the Insert Image icon and paste the .jpg URL into the pop-up box, the URL is then inserted into my post with capped IMG tags around it, which displays just fine also.

I'd like to think what you encountered was just a one-off blip but I got no explanation for what that blip actually was. <TwilightZone.mp3>

-Derek

LSMay

Registered
Reaction score
I hate to resurrect a long-dead thread, but I had this same issue, with the 'is not a valid image file' message. I tried the image as a jpg, png and gif - 72dpi and smaller than 400px by 400px. I don't have the image hosted anywhere else, so the url fix isn't going to do it for me.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LSMay, try again and uncheck the box about remote file. That should do it.

I think this is okay to do--I'll have to check with the administrator myself.

LSMay

Registered
Reaction score
LSMay, try again and uncheck the box about remote file. That should do it.

I think this is okay to do--I'll have to check with the administrator myself.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am using the 'from computer' tab and that checkbox is in the 'from url' tab - nevertheless, I tried it, and it didn't help.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me know if you'd like me to go ahead and upload the image to your Library post.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. I am using the 'from computer' tab and that checkbox is in the 'from url' tab - nevertheless, I tried it, and it didn't help.

As GiantBaby noted in the opening post of this thread, the 'From Computer' option doesn't work. Since that's new-to-me code that appears (apparently) only in the Library, AW Admin will have to address that functionality. For now and until we hear from AW Admin, you'll have to link to the URL from an image hosting site such as Photobucket or your own website per the FAQ for linking to images.

Last edited:

LSMay

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to look into one of those image hosting websites later.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is your author website working?

I think it was this morning. Now I get a 404 error.

LSMay

Registered
Reaction score
Is your author website working?

I think it was this morning. Now I get a 404 error.

The link in my signature wasn't working - I just fixed it. I did some restructuring over the weekend which meant some URLs changed.