Sharing Your Message Beyond Books

LeahMBerry

Registered
Reaction score
Sharing our message and expertise through books is great, but considering the meager profits we usually make from non-fiction books, have any of you have thought about sharing your content via training courses, membership sites, coaching, speaking, or consulting to help enhance your income? If you've thought about it, what has held you back from doing so? Or is that something you're totally not interested in doing? What do you see as the pros and cons of sharing your expertise in other formats?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've given talks at conferences, run a few workshops, I offer some freelance services to businesses, I've trained staff, I've written articles and blog posts, I used to have a blog of my own, and I've sold syndication and serial rights to my works. It's all been interesting. It can be lucrative. But it takes a lot of time and preparation to do well, and so is not an easy option; these sorts of things are not available to all writers; and there's an increasingly large number of writers chasing the same pots of money, many of which are dwindling away as more and more festivals etc. switch to a model where the one thing which attracts paying customers--the talent--is not paid.

It can be fun if it's something you enjoy doing. But otherwise? It's hard work, long hours, and frequently infuriating.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I do most of these things but as work product. If you work in the area it is important to keep a bright line between work product and personal projects. They can both support and develop your expertise but you don't want who owns what to get confused.