kingdom come deliverance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone following this?

For those who don't know, it's skyrim without any dragons. There's no magic, no fantasy, it's just a huge open world medieval RPG. You can fight in massive scale battles, siege castles. The fighting is realistic in that you actually have to target body parts when you fight or your sword will deflect off the metal armour.
It looks absolutely amazing, especially if you consider it's an independent studio.

Here's the alpha gameplay followed by the Kickstarter trailer.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Absolutely. The funny thing is they couldn't get a studio to back them because apparently "No one wants to play a game set in a medieval world without dragons in it."

Sigh. I will never sell my - so far - three books of fantasy that has no magic, no dragons, no elves and dwarves, and no gods, will I? :greenie

BradCarsten

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I will never sell my - so far - three books of fantasy that has no magic, no dragons, no elves and dwarves, and no gods, will I? :greenie

Oh no, You're screwed :D Then again if you did have all those things they'd suddenly tell you they're looking for something less cliched :Headbang:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad they have at least an alpha of the gameplay up in the trailer because far too many of the big ideas for awesome games end up being out of scope. They look like a reasonably experienced and competent indie studio, though. This isn't four guys in a room.

Remains to be seen how the gameplay will be paced out, I guess, but it does look cool.

Wish them all the best.

BradCarsten

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad they have at least an alpha of the gameplay up in the trailer because far too many of the big ideas for awesome games end up being out of scope. They look like a reasonably experienced and competent indie studio, though. This isn't four guys in a room.

Remains to be seen how the gameplay will be paced out, I guess, but it does look cool.

Wish them all the best.

It does hey, I was hyped when I saw this. And yes, they seem to have a lot of experience in the industry, so at least they have a reasonable understanding of what they are getting into. There's apparently going to be over 100 quests, so it's a pretty large game, and I was surprised to hear they're planning for a mid 2016 release. Usually these smaller teams take forever.

For anyone who's interested, Here is a video I watched earlier explaining the combat: 2m35 is the hand combat and 8m07 is a little on large scale.

In a nutshell, It's in first person and you have 3 strike types and 6 zones that you can target, and it's all about waiting for the right opportunity to strike. You're not going to be able to take on more than one person easily, so you need to bring allies along to the fights. You can block and parry etc, and there are obviously a huge variety of weapon types. There is stamina and terrain will play an important part in a duel, so you can back your opponent into objects, or move to higher ground etc.

With the castle sieges, you are just a single pawn on a much larger board, so you will be joining the battle lines and charging as just another ordinary soldier trying to survive in these epic braveheart type battles, which sounds incredible. Can't wait to try this with a VR headset!
For the siege itself there are many different ways to take the castles including sneaking in and opening the gate, poisoning their water supply, or just attacking with siege weapons.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, a lot of this stuff always sounds awesome on paper. Then you put it in game and it's not half as fun. This is why so many massive titles go way over budget. (A lot of times, unrealistic expectations can factor into this, too.) In some ways, a smaller team has more chance to adapt if they discover a core problem like that early in development than a big team with 300+ people. They also might have fewer resources to finance those mistakes, especially if the problem is discovered after a lot of the art is done (which often necessitates re-doing the art, story, engine, etc.).

This is a really great piece showing how Valve dealt with this, and also some of the problems it caused: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-final-hours-of-half-life-2/1100-6112889/

Ideally, they have experience and have tested all the complex small- and large-scale combat in greybox so they know it's fun. It's often easier to release a small, even incomplete, core mechanic that's super tight and then add depth rather than put it all into a big release and miss the mark.

BradCarsten

Registered
Reaction score
This just gets better and better every time I see it.

Here's the E3 trailer - this is a must see!

Here's the new e3 2015 demo.

10 minutes in has a good demonstration of the fighting.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those games I want to be good, but reserved my brains.

Now, lets see these trailers and see what what what we got here!

EDIT: All right, I saw it! I'm impressed, I want to see more. But what I do kind of wish...is that they had gone the Darklands route.

Darklands is a fantastic and underrated old old OLD RPG from the DOS era that was set in the Holy Roman Empire, and it was very realistic in terms of the atmosphere and the tactics and the weapons. However, it was still a fantasy RPG. The basic premise of the game was that everything that the Germans of the time believed in...was real.

Alchemy? Worked! Demons? Were real! Dragons? Harbingers of the end of the world! Dwarves? Ask riddles and curse you if you get them wrong! And the primary form of "magic" that the party could use was calling on Saints to preserve them in the face of adversity.

It was a GREAT middle ground between "Tolkien" and "Mount and Blade" and I wish more people...tried it.

Last edited:

BradCarsten

Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those games I want to be good, but reserved my brains.

Now, lets see these trailers and see what what what we got here!

EDIT: All right, I saw it! I'm impressed, I want to see more. But what I do kind of wish...is that they had gone the Darklands route.

Darklands is a fantastic and underrated old old OLD RPG from the DOS era that was set in the Holy Roman Empire, and it was very realistic in terms of the atmosphere and the tactics and the weapons. However, it was still a fantasy RPG. The basic premise of the game was that everything that the Germans of the time believed in...was real.

Alchemy? Worked! Demons? Were real! Dragons? Harbingers of the end of the world! Dwarves? Ask riddles and curse you if you get them wrong! And the primary form of "magic" that the party could use was calling on Saints to preserve them in the face of adversity.

It was a GREAT middle ground between "Tolkien" and "Mount and Blade" and I wish more people...tried it.

I've never heard of that, but it sounds really interesting. What kind of combat did it have? I imagine if it was dos with such a level of detail it would have been turn based- is that correct?

Either way I'm so looking forward to this game. Going to have to sell a ton of books so that I can upgrade my PC in time for its release lol.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It was pausable turn based combat.

If I remember correctly, my tactic for fighting demons was to have my swordswoman go to parry mode, then frantically defend herself from the demon while my man with a dwarven warhammer smashed it repeatedly in the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.