Does anybody else hate fans? (the air-blowing machines, not the people)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever had a moth flutter up against you? That unsettling faint brushing that makes your skin crawl? For me, standing in front of a fan is like that times a thousand. Ceiling fans, car AC fans, I detest them all. I just hate having air blow on me (except the wind. For some reason naturally-occurring air movement doesn't bother me). If I have to choose between using a fan or being uncomfortably hot, I'll take the heat every time.

I can't be the only one who hates them, but lately I've begun to feel like a freak. I need some solidarity here. Does anybody else hate fans?

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I def hate them. Their uneven chill makes my stomach and limbs ache. I think I'm the only person like that. Can't explain why, just sensitive I guess.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's not too nosy, can I inquire whether you have much hair on your arms? Mine are nearly hairless and fans are fine for me--but our daughters both have hairier arms (which makes them sound like apes, which they are not) and the slight movement of the hair bothers them in that same a-bug-is-on-me way. My guess is that it's a reaction that's nearly instinctive, since sometimes that feeling is caused by a little critter that can do you harm.

Some people liken that sort of reaction to the one so many have to snakes. Seeing one in the wild makes my stomach churn and what little arm hair I have stand up. Which is weird, because on a non-gut level, I'm not especially scared of snakes. But they do something to me which is entirely involuntary.

Maryn, thinking this kind of primitive reaction thing is interesting

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I am the opposite. I love electric fans and the louder the better. I turn one on every single night before going to bed. The sound drowns out all the other noise and I like the wind on my face. It puts me right to sleep.

Write_At_1st_Light

Writer of Nothingnesses
Registered
Reaction score
123 Pencilvania Ave, Writers Block, CA 90210
Website
www.DavidRedstone.com
Nah, fans are fine when I need 'em. Also I do a little portrait photography and use a fan on low speed to put some life into the women-with-long-straight-hair's hair.

Now the OTHER fans? Oh I hate 'em. "Dave would you pose with me in a bikini?" I don't look good in a two-piece.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I have never liked fans. They blow my hair in my eyes, dry out my eyes, nose and throat - and basically all they do is blow the hot air faster. I don't mind the wind as much, unless it's a constant wind instead of the little gusts.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate fans but my husband loves them. They irritate my skin and I hate masking noise. Who would not want to be able to hear it if someone was breaking into their house while they slept? I'd rather crank up the A/C. It's worth the cost. I'm not hairy but he is. How did that get to be a factor? LOL.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I love wind; I like fans (and I am fairly hairless below the eyebrows, like Maryn.)

I can totally understand someone getting that bug-on-me crawling sensation from a fan, however. What surprises me is the wind doesn't do that. How about little puffs of breeze, if you're in a semi-enclosed place?

I'm just wondering if it's a case of having a consistent whole-body experience rather than only getting some of the sensation, like how I'm fine with motion in a car if I can see out all the windows and there's no question that I'm moving, but I get carsick playing videogames. From what I've read, that's due to a mismatch in the signals your brain is getting, i.e. if the inner ear and your eyes agree you're moving, it's fine. If only your eyes say you're moving, then your brain assumes that mismatch is due to you having been poisoned and starts making plans to jettison the cargo.

Maybe full-body breeze is not confusing to your body, but partial-body breeze is?

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
When it gets hot in the summer, I can't sleep without one. I wake up bathed in sweat if the air isn't moving over me. However, one of my dogs loathes box fans. She's a clumsy butt and sometimes knock them over. She reacts to the unexpected crash by lunging and barking at the fan and pushing it down the hallway with her paws.

I can see why the sensation would bother some people. I have fine, flyaway, slightly curly hair, and I've always hated windy days. I just hate it when my hair is blown around so it gets in my eyes and looks like I've been electrocuted when I walk back inside.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've found the trick with a fan is not to have it blowing at you but slightly away from you so that the air circulates around you and you are in a cocoon of cooler air.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I find them noisy and uncomfortable, but then again, I live in a part of the world where I can happily live without them. In a hot country I guess I'd put up with them, though I find air con to be a better system for keeping cool.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When it gets hot in the summer, I can't sleep without one. I wake up bathed in sweat if the air isn't moving over me. However, one of my dogs loathes box fans. She's a clumsy butt and sometimes knock them over. She reacts to the unexpected crash by lunging and barking at the fan and pushing it down the hallway with her paws.
QUOTE]

It pains me to think you should sleep with my husband and I should sleep with your dog. :(

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've found the trick with a fan is not to have it blowing at you but slightly away from you so that the air circulates around you and you are in a cocoon of cooler air.

I like a gentle, indirect breeze as well. My husband and I usually point our fans at the wall to achieve that.

I'm not a fan of air conditioning except on the very hottest days; cold drafts tend to chill me to the bone. I always have to take a sweater to restaurants and theaters and such.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
If it's not too nosy, can I inquire whether you have much hair on your arms? Mine are nearly hairless and fans are fine for me--but our daughters both have hairier arms (which makes them sound like apes, which they are not) and the slight movement of the hair bothers them in that same a-bug-is-on-me way. My guess is that it's a reaction that's nearly instinctive, since sometimes that feeling is caused by a little critter that can do you harm.

Some people liken that sort of reaction to the one so many have to snakes. Seeing one in the wild makes my stomach churn and what little arm hair I have stand up. Which is weird, because on a non-gut level, I'm not especially scared of snakes. But they do something to me which is entirely involuntary.

Maryn, thinking this kind of primitive reaction thing is interesting

Hmm, no I don't have much in the way of arm hair. (You can see my thumb in my avatar photo, not that you can tell much from a thumb). It's not just my arms either. Every summer my chorus sets up some big fans behind us that, due to the fact that we're on risers and the fans aren't, only hit our legs. Once I ended up standing right in front of one and it was awful (I shave my legs, so it definitely wasn't a hair issue that day). I ended up trading places with the lady next to me (she was thrilled to stand there).

The odd thing is that I didn't always hate them. From childhood into my mid-twenties, I liked them as much as anybody else. The dislike sort of snuck up on me.

I'm also not the least bit delicate. During my years as a vet tech/dog groomer, I actually had a reputation for handling fighters and biters that had been banned from other places, a task that requires a certain acceptance that you'll get banged up on a regular basis. I'm surprised more than one dog by ignoring a bleeding bite wound and calmly continuing with my task.

Lol, I just remembered a funny story (it has nothing to do with fans, but what fun would a thread be without the occasional tangent?). My wedding dress didn't have sleeves, so I made it a special point in the week leading up to my wedding to avoid getting bitten or scratched so that I wouldn't be all torn up in the wedding photos. The very last patient we saw before I left was a cat. Now this particular cat was usually sweet-tempered, but she wasn't feeling well that day, which can make anybody grumpy. I decided not to chance it and asked my coworker if he'd cover the appointment. In the perfect example of "no good deed goes unpunished," the cat chose that day to kick up a fuss and my poor coworker got scratches all over both his arms. We always joked afterward that those scratches were my coworker's wedding present to me.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

I do this too! It works especially well in cars, where you can close/angle the vents however you like.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In summer, a fan at my workstation and another at my side of the bed is the only way I can survive life with my hot sweetie who hates fans, open windows, any kind of cool air.

When we shop Costco, I have to go into the produce and dairy coolers to fetch what she wants while she waits out in the warmer, more still air. It's why we can't live in Montana--too much chill and wind for her. :greenie

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It pains me to think you should sleep with my husband and I should sleep with your dog. :(

Just what kind of thread is this, laying out in the open like this? I mean, yeah, as writers, I guess we're a fairly open-minded bunch, but still... *backs away slowly*

As to the question, some summers I really do need some air circulating, as we don't have AC in our house. (Our furnace also desperately needs a tune-up, but that ain't my department, either.) My sister, however, requires near-constant air circulation, which can get very, very annoying sometimes. Particularly when she doesn't have a fan and is complaining about it.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would not have made it through the last 20 years (menopause, don't you know) without fans. There is a ceiling fan over my chair in the living room, there is a table fan blowing straight on my head in bed, all the vents in the car are pointed at me, I carry one of those foofy hand fans in my purse, and I have been known to jokingly (not really) ask a random employee at Costco if they could drag a chair into the produce room for me.

MM

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I love wind; I like fans (and I am fairly hairless below the eyebrows, like Maryn.)

I can totally understand someone getting that bug-on-me crawling sensation from a fan, however. What surprises me is the wind doesn't do that. How about little puffs of breeze, if you're in a semi-enclosed place?

I'm just wondering if it's a case of having a consistent whole-body experience rather than only getting some of the sensation, like how I'm fine with motion in a car if I can see out all the windows and there's no question that I'm moving, but I get carsick playing videogames. From what I've read, that's due to a mismatch in the signals your brain is getting, i.e. if the inner ear and your eyes agree you're moving, it's fine. If only your eyes say you're moving, then your brain assumes that mismatch is due to you having been poisoned and starts making plans to jettison the cargo.

Maybe full-body breeze is not confusing to your body, but partial-body breeze is?

That actually makes a lot of sense! Little puffs of breeze are no problem either. Heck, I'm the first one to throw open the doors and let the house air out in the springtime. But you're right that fans, being smaller, only blow on part of the body at a time.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

This. And it probably explains why I'm not fond of oscillating fans, since every pass they do aim the air in a way that blows my hair around.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a 'boo, fans, yay, ac!' thread, and was all excited.

Then I saw ac 'fans' included.

I don't like fans because they just blow lots of warm or hot air on you and it's annoying and does nothing but be annoying. I'll stand with my crumbs waving right in the vents of an air conditioner all day though.

This sounds eminently logical to me.

If they produced cooler air...

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I hate fans too. I always adjust the vents in my car to point at my husband. Can't stand fans at home either, even the overhead ones. I don't like the sensation of it on my skin, so I keep my skin covered up with sweats and a blanket if my husband insists on the fan being on. (Yes, it is 90 + degrees outside and I'm bundled up like it's winter.)

That said...I love the sound of a fan. Fastest way to put me to sleep.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Feels cooler to me.

Weird thing I've noticed about oscillating fans: in the UK they're just BATTERING RAMS OF FREEZING AIR and in warmer countries they're just POINTLESS HOT AIR PUSHERS. I've experienced Cornflake's issue in Spain and Cyprus but not really locally.

Also, you guys are totally right about air con making you freezing. I get that problem a lot at work, need to keep a cardigan handy at all times. They really seem to overcompensate. Still preferable to fans for me, though.