Romance Tropes for Stories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I read category romance but write literary short stories (like 20 pages/ 4-6,000 words). I have been working on twisting romance tropes into "literary" stories with semi-HEA endings.

If you have any fun suggestions for tropes, I'm looking for single plot turn inspiration or escalating/climactic (ahem..) events. Really anything that might re-fill my well of random ideas to create from.

All ideas welcome. Thanks in advance!

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Nice! I'm doing "accidental pregnancy" at the moment. I've actually been attacked and told I suck for doing this, but I don't care. There's a reason stories about pregnancy and babies are told over and over again. Same with the other tropes. People love them--myself included. :)
There are vocal people who hate the trope.

I have read some beautiful emotional stories using the trope that I enjoyed. There are ways you can make it happen without the heroine having been stupid.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow! I love many of those tropes! :) The problem is, I tend to be picky about the writers' execution of certain tropes...

Ooh, some more tropes-like stuff can obviously can be found in the time-sink that is TVtropes:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanceNovelTropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanceNovelPlots

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanceArc

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoveTropes

ETA: There are also those badly done romance novels/tropes, particularly older romance novels or just terrible romance novels:
http://www.themarysue.com/tropes-of-love/

These I dread the most, especially with certain genres, like paranormal, because of forced magic sex or uncontrollable wild werewolf/vampire sex, etc.... (I get to the point of avoiding most paranormal romances because of that kind of thing.) The power imbalance of the genders bothers me soo much, and it's the biggest reason why I'm super-ultra picky about m/f romances (and some m/m romances).

Last edited:

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tropes links! the "tropes of love" link is funny, and inspiring :)

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I dont know if its what your looking for but i had a buddy who rear ended a girls car at a stop light (slow speed) just so he could meet her. They did start dating but only lasted about 6 months. His brother however ended up getting married to her best friend. Had the 'accident' not happened they may have never met. That was 25 years ago,theyre still married and have 3 kids.

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
huh, thanks! that would be a funny inciting incident.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about the "everybody's running from something/somebody/themselves" trope? He's fleeing from bounty hunters, she's fleeing from the men who've killed "everybody she's ever loved", they accidentally both flee to her uncle's ranch. Wackiness ensues.

Carrie Lyn

Registered
Reaction score
Hate to go off subject but I was reading this post and now I have to ask what is a trope??? :Wha: Is it another word for a short story?

Sorry in advance if that is a stupid question lol

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Hate to go off subject but I was reading this post and now I have to ask what is a trope??? :Wha: Is it another word for a short story?

Sorry in advance if that is a stupid question lol

Um, I don't know how to explain it. It's kind of...like cliches, but not really. More like story patterns or common elements that form a pattern, I guess? Like, secret baby plots or love triangle elements, or good girl tames bad boy plot, etc.

Here's a tv tropes article about tropes (a very addicting site):
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Trope

"Above all, a trope is a convention. It can be a plot trick, a setup, a narrative structure, a character type, a linguistic idiom... you know it when you see it. Tropes are not inherently disruptive to a story; however, when the trope itself becomes intrusive, distracting the viewer rather than serving as shorthand, it has become a cliché."

Last edited:

Carrie Lyn

Registered
Reaction score
Um, I don't know how to explain it. It's kind of...like cliches, but not really. More like story patterns or common elements that form a pattern, I guess? Like, secret baby plots or love triangle elements, or good girl tames bad boy plot, etc.

Here's a tv tropes article about tropes (a very addicting site):
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Trope

Thanks, I get it now... I think ;) Just never knew there was a specific word for it other than cliche or overused plot. Would the boss and the secretary storyline fall into this? I know, thats an old one but the first one that popped into my head.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Thanks, I get it now... I think ;) Just never knew there was a specific word for it other than cliche or overused plot. Would the boss and the secretary storyline fall into this? I know, thats an old one but the first one that popped into my head.

Yup. Boss/Employee is a trope. :)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
ETA: There are also those badly done romance novels/tropes, particularly older romance novels or just terrible romance novels:
http://www.themarysue.com/tropes-of-love/

Thanks for that link! I enjoyed the article, and sadly, I've seen these tripes - er, tropes, in plenty of more recent novels too. I read one where the hero quietly and calmly crept up to the heroine while she was having a bath and forced her head under water until she lost consciousness. He never apologized for it, she never seemed bothered.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com

Anne Stuart, Ice Blue.

The whole premise of the series is that these stone-cold killers start out planning to murder innocent women, but end up falling in love. Except the bathtub scene was far too reminiscent of the Brides in the Bath murders for me. I still finished the book, but won't be reading anything else in that series.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that link! I enjoyed the article, and sadly, I've seen these tripes - er, tropes, in plenty of more recent novels too. I read one where the hero quietly and calmly crept up to the heroine while she was having a bath and forced her head under water until she lost consciousness. He never apologized for it, she never seemed bothered.
You're welcome. :)

I'm an extremely picky person when it comes to anything (ie. books, movies/tvshows, manga/anime, food, etc). But I always loved reading romantic (slash, usually) fanfiction and MG fiction pretty much all my life. I spent the last few years trying to read commercial romance (both m/f and m/m), but I guess my taste is unusual or something, because I have a hard time finding ones that I would end up liking. There were some really troublesome tropes out there, I can't really enjoy most romance heroes for some reason, and I'm not into erotic stuff, either, so I stopped reading commercial romances recently. I prefer MG/YA stories, and sweet LGBTQA romances instead. Nowadays, I also prefer the sweet, romantic (and usually slash) fanfiction instead for my romance readings.

Um, with that bath situation...What was going on in that situation that prompted the hero to do that? Was he reliving some trauma or something?

Anne Stuart, Ice Blue.

The whole premise of the series is that these stone-cold killers start out planning to murder innocent women, but end up falling in love. Except the bathtub scene was far too reminiscent of the Brides in the Bath murders for me. I still finished the book, but won't be reading anything else in that series.

Oh.

Well, that explains it.

Not my type of story in the first place, so thank goodness I haven't encountered it. I thought it was a Stephen King book for a moment there, lol... :tongue

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Um, with that bath situation...What was going on in that situation that prompted the hero to do that? Was he reliving some trauma or something?

Oh, they're traumatized all right. As your link mentioned, all abusive alphas have some sort of poor-me backstory. But at the moment they start to drown or strangle the heroines, they're very much in control of themselves and know exactly what they're doing.

They just manage to stop short of causing permanent brain damage due to oxygen deprivation (I think; with some of the heroines, it's difficult to tell) and then save the heroines from the really evil people who won't be so principled. :heart:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, they're traumatized all right. As your link mentioned, all abusive alphas have some sort of poor-me backstory. But at the moment they start to drown or strangle the heroines, they're very much in control of themselves and know exactly what they're doing.

They just manage to stop short of causing permanent brain damage due to oxygen deprivation (I think; with some of the heroines, it's difficult to tell) and then save the heroines from the really evil people who won't be so principled. :heart:

Yeah, I dislike abusive alphas.

If I had to choose some tropes I tend to like (that I can remember) like for characters, particularly romantic interests, some of them would be: Adorkable, Aloof Ally, The Quiet One, or one of my favorites, Sugar and Ice Personality. I like a variety of heroes, but I notice I don't like super-aggressive (to the point of being physical with the heroine), loud, puffing of the chest kinds of alpha males. I tend to go for the more aloof, quiet or stoic (but still has emotions) kind of heroes who start to warm up over time. I also tend to like smart/mature characters who give people their personal space. Or ones that have an awesome sense of humor. Or caring, gentle, cheerful ones.

(One thing I tend to dislike in most any form of entertainment is when the dude grabs the heroine's arm/hand to stop her, for whatever reason. I'm like GTFO, dude!)

ETA: I guess, in anime/manga terms, I tend to like the Kuudere types, and maybe an occasional Tsundere type.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I didn't realize just how prevalent the dominant alpha male was in romance until I got a review for my fourth book saying the reviewer liked how Jason (the hero) never felt threatened by Lera (the heroine) being so much better a fighter than he was.

It had never occurred to me that this was anything out of the ordinary. Why should her hard-earned skill make him feel like less of a man? I want heroes who are secure enough in themselves that they like and appreciate women who are equally competent and confident.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize just how prevalent the dominant alpha male was in romance until I got a review for my fourth book saying the reviewer liked how Jason (the hero) never felt threatened by Lera (the heroine) being so much better a fighter than he was.

It had never occurred to me that this was anything out of the ordinary. Why should her hard-earned skill make him feel like less of a man? I want heroes who are secure enough in themselves that they like and appreciate women who are equally competent and confident.

Yes! I love seeing heroes like that. :)

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
YES. So much yes.

And huh, yeah, I guess the almost-drowning makes sense within the context of the universe and plot, but definitely not my cup of tea. To each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.