The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. What are we drinking? A pass-able pinot?

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc (sp???) in the fridge and one of some fancy Tequila in the cupboard. Preferences, anyone?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Tequila. I'll provide the guacamole. That's my favorite comfort food (after chocolate).

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:Moonchild, Funaek, and Hathor (passes more consolation cookies and extra Tequila).

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Alcohol and cookies to all who need them.

I finished my WIP and it's come in pretty much bang on target at 84,562 words. I have three weeks to edit and polish for betas.

It doesn't seem much of a victory though. I took my cat Ted to the vets this morning and they discovered he had a blocked bladder. During the operation the vet found a tumour, and his blood results show he's severely anaemic and his kidneys are failing. I have to go there in an hour, when he's recovered from the anaesthetic, and say goodbye. He's been my constant companion for 11 years. He purrs whenever I look at him, just like I smile whenever he looks at me. There's no cat quite like him, and I don't know what I'll do without him.

TedOnKnee_zpsc4oltua6.jpg

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Earthling - I'm so sorry about your cat Ted! It's always so hard to say goodbye to our furry loved ones. Sending you virtual hugs. :Hug2:

And yes, I'll take all the alcohol and cookies offered!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Earthling, I'm so sorry :(. ((((((Hugs)))))) to you and Ted...

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
((((((Earthling)))))) I'm so sorry about your cat. I just went through the same thing. We buried our kitty Mischief last weekend. She found me on the street when she was a kitten back in in 2001. So many years and memories. Sending you and your beautiful Ted peace. <3

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, Earthling! That's so heartbreaking. {{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}

He's beautiful! How wonderful that he chose you to share his life with.

Give yourself time to grieve. Eleven years is a long time. A lifetime.

pinkbowvintage

&#9812;
Registered
Reaction score
Aww Earthling, what a beautiful kitty! That is so hard. :( I've had quite a few pets and I know that special kind of pain quite well. Sending love to you both and a safe passage for Ted over the rainbow bridge <3

I wanted to ask you guys for advice. It's been a little over three weeks since my agent's co-agent has received my picture book proposal/manuscript. Should I nudge now, or wait another week?

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everybody. Your posts are really touching. :LilLove:

pinkbow - Did she give you a time frame for responding?

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Earthling, I am so sorry about Ted! What a gorgeous ginger tabby, and cats that purr when you make eye contact are THE BEST. I lost my white cat Max three years ago and still think of him often. (I even dedicated my book to him, and wrote him into it, sort of. :) Which I know sounds weird, but he was the world's best writing companion.)

Anyway, sending hugs and consolations your way. And consolations to everyone getting rejections — bon courage! This too shall pass.

Pinkbow, I would normally wait at least four to six weeks, but I'm not sure how things work with picture books, since they don't take nearly as long to read...

pinkbowvintage

&#9812;
Registered
Reaction score
More hugs to you, Earthling! <3

And she hasn't responded yet or given a timeframe since my agent passed it along to her as a possible co-agenting venture. Yeah, Fucshia, I agree, I waited 4-6 weeks on average to nudge agents about my YA, but with a picture book I feel like it takes less time to read and decide? I guess I'm just eager to know if I should be revising now, or querying elsewhere.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Oh, Earthing, I'm soo sorry. What a handsome guy!

I'm also sorry for all the passes. It's been a long weekend/week, so I've mostly been peeking in here and there, trying to keep up. Last night, I actually made some headway on my current WIP. Let's just say . . . "sex here, sex there." Lol. Okay, so it's pretty damn restrained, but I did it, and now I can move on!

No additional word from my agent. I'm looking for an update about an editor and some revision notes on The Prequel.

Herstory

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry about your beautiful cat, Earthling! I'm a huge cat lover and have been accused of loving my cats more than people (It's true. I can't help it). It's so hard to say goodbye to a furry family member, and my heart goes out to you.

Sorry about the passes, everyone. It's been silent over here, but after the big dump of passes last week, I'm fine with the silence. Or maybe not fine. Just resigned.

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Pinkbowvintage - I queried PBs in the past, but I can't recall if I did nudges and, if so, how long after the initial query. So I don't have much advice to give other than to offer vague support! Are there guidelines on querying PBs on your agency's website? Could you ask your agent for more info?

TrashDraft

Registered
Reaction score
Earthling, I'm so sorry. Losing pets is so hard, but I'm glad you have what sound like a lot of good memories with him.

Whiskey-laced chocolate chip cookies for everyone?

I vanished because I'm no longer on sub after emotionally shelving the series and then getting an offer the next day, so yay? That was a little under a month ago and I'm still screaming.