The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Smiley! Thank you for poking the thread also. It's so hard to lurk when people aren't checking in lol you all give me hope and solace

TECarter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tecarter.com
Good luck, Smiley!

Sorry it's been radio silence here. I've been so busy with work, which is good because it doesn't give me time to worry about things I can't control!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Smiley, good luck with the querying!!! And the editor interest sounds promising...

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with querying and the editor interest, Smiley!

Yes, the forums seem quieter than usual this week.

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley, by all means, stick around, read, comment! We're all in hell, all of us.

I sent my chirpy little "Just checking in!" email on Sunday, haven't heard back (today is Friday).

I honestly don't think I'm ever going to hear from my agent again. I'd feel better if I was back to querying that manuscript. At least the horizon would open a crack.

Really, Smiley, it's just another circle.

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Sending good thoughts to you, Smiley! Best of luck.

My agent told me yesterday to keep my current WIP, an erotic romantic suspense, shorter rather than longer. He said from 50k to 70k and no longer. However, after I hung up and did independent research, it appears they should be about 75k. So, now I'm really confused. I asked him for the "sweet spot" in sales for that sort of book and he kept saying "shorter."

I'm not in this to write category romance, so I'm thinking to go on a bit longer. Anybody have any thoughts?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:Tuesday. I'm sure you'll hear back--it's been a busy couple of weeks with conferences.

CCC, I don't know anything about romantic suspense lengths, but maybe check on the Romance subforum?

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for reviving this thread, Smiley! And good luck!!

Last edited:

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Smiley! Best of luck to you and YES editor interest!! How exciting. Is it a small press? Querying hell and sub hell are more or less one in the same, in my opinion. Just two different stages of purgatory.

I'm on my fourth day of submission. I don't know what to do with my life besides write my next book. I keep wondering how long it'll be until my first pass...

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley: You're always welcome here! It's hell in one form or another.

Not too much going on with me. Made it to acquisitions w/my YA but they passed.
Lots of interest in my adult (2 acquisitions passes), but no offers yet.

Hanging out, refreshing my email. I really need to start something new.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
MartinaMay, I'm so sorry! Ack! But congrats to making it so far, clearly you have a great MS on your hands.

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
MartinaMay - aw, sorry for the pass! Those close calls are somewhat validating in knowing that you almost got there, but for the same reason are so extremely frustrating!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sorry about those close ones, MartinaMay. Two of them like that says something special about your MS. I had one first time out that went to board--missed it. I think marketing shot it down.

I'm over six-seven weeks now and I'm about to nudge agent again. I know for a fact that I have a rejection pile, only not sure how large it is and what percentage it's taken out of the initial first round. I know I''m not going to feel good about it, but at least we're trying to break in.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Agent got back right after my nudge today. We've only picked up two rejections so far. I thought I'd be bombarded with at least eight to 10 for a seven week period. But what do I know? Agent says she will nudge if things get strung out too long.One publisher wanted something more light-hearted. They had too much dark stuff on their list and wanted to balance out.The other publisher said that taking on a series was a bit too much for them since they'd contracted quite a few this year. All in all, we still have about 11 to 12 subs out there.

Good luck, Smiley. Hope that one works out for you!

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
I live in Conifer, Colorado, which is about 20 miles west southwest of Denver, at about 8700 feet. Another eight inches or so last night, and right now I'm starting to worry about how I'll get up to the barn where I've got my plow. And I'm low on diesel.

I write about the Bahamas a lot. Today I remember why. I've got snow up to the windows in some places -- I plowed twice yesterday and I've got another 18 inches on the driveway. I once had a writer friend tell me how much she liked living with challenging weather, but I haven't seen a Facebook post from her during this storm :)

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:Tuesday. I'm sure you'll hear back--it's been a busy couple of weeks with conferences.
hester, you're a sweetie. :Hug2:

And triceratops, that's hellishly wonderful! May your skepticism and fears continue unrewarded.

Ladidah

Registered
Reaction score
Guys... I sold in a pre-empt. In 13 days after sub - big six. I can hardly believe it.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Martina--sorry about those passes, but it does show great interest!! *finger-crossed!*

Whip, that's insane! I mean...that's insane! (Writerly brain can't come up with anything better to exclaim how insane that it is. It's like in Austin Powers...MOLE!...INSANE!)