The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Owlie

Registered
Reaction score
I asked my agent about it, because if anything, I did not think the MS was too quiet. She agreed, but said this publisher (H@Xper) publishes a lot of books a year and it's easy to get lost on the list. To me, it seemed more like on comment on the subject matter/topic rather than a pacing issue or "not enough action" issue, if that makes sense. I suppose it's in line with how everyone is looking for high-concept now to stand out.

Herstory

Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense and is probably true for my MS as well. Thanks!

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
I was told similar things about the danger of getting lost on that publisher's list. I don't know the truth of it.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I saw someone in the accomplishment section got a deal, so something is still happening during summer! Good to know. I'm still waiting on the sub list from my agent, but I know my ms is out there already. Trying not to harass her for updates since she wants to talk every 8 weeks. That seems like so long!

DoNoKharms

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe I've ever posted in this thread, but I've been actively lurking it every day day for almost two years now, riding these ups and downs of sub madness hell with you guys. And I swear sometimes the one thing that kept me sane was reading other's stories and knowing they'd gone through the same thing. I went out on sub January 2014 with book 1 (YA scifi mystery) full of swagger and sure this would be a piece of cake; I'd gotten multiple offers of rep, my agent kicked ass, I was sure this would be over and done in a few weeks. How wrong I was. After months rolled by with heart-breakingly close rejections (or even worse) silence, I sank into Sub Madness, flopping wildly from anxiety to despair. I was supposed to be working on the sequel, but how the hell could I do that when I was rapidly losing confidence in the first book?

Then, after about 7 months on sub, I suddenly was hit with a stroke of inspiration for Book 2 (YA fantasy). I rapid-fire cranked out a first 50 and sent it to my agent; she loved it, and had huge confidence in it. I shut myself into a writing crave and blitzed away until I had a draft. I sent it to my agent; she LOVED it. We went out on a sub a month ago. We heard back almost right away. And now...

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...67152-rights-report-week-of-june-15-2015.html --- I'm the second one down.

Holy shit, guys. After 1 or 17 months on sub, depending on how you slice it, it finally happened. It honestly feels unreal. It's barely sunk in yet. But it can happen. It really can.

Last edited:

Owlie

Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATS! (And I too am an agent-mate of yours!) Good to hear persistence pays off. Enjoy!

Herstory

Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS, DoNoKharms! So nice to hear good news!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
WOW!!!! I love this story of persistence. Thank you for sharing and your book sounds so freakin' good!!!!! :D

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow Kharms!! Way to go! So happy for you!

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Kharms!

After getting rep yesterday, I need to understand that patience and perseverance will still be necessary. As will hanging out with you guys :hi:I don't expect to read the original thread from the beginning as I did with The Daily Rejection. But then when I started out there, that thread was considerably shorter.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I've picked my writing god for the purpose of submission, Ganesha. He also brings luck and removes obstacles. Plus he has extra arms and an elephant head.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and big congrats, Hathor! Your god sounds perfect!

I think reading this short new thread is probably enough. We're all friendly here. *passes a spezna*

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Hathor!! Huge congrats on your agent! :welcome:

Thanks!

Welcome and big congrats, Hathor! Your god sounds perfect!

I think reading this short new thread is probably enough. We're all friendly here. *passes a spezna*

Who knows -- maybe he should be the subject of my next book. My book that got me rep was based on Greek myth and the one I should finally finish polishing this week is from Egyptian. I'll have to jump into my big book o' mythology and find a new shiny idea to work on so the sub process won't drive me nuts.

Maybe I should hold off on the speznas until I finish withdrawing all my outstanding queries. Maybe this is unnecessary. But it's sure nice to show folks that maybe they should stay more current with their inboxes, they had their chance, etc. If I imbibe, I fear I'll actually use phrasing like that. I'm being polite and mostly getting polite feedback. Someone who's had a partial for four months was rather terse with me. But I thought it would be worse to nudge due to the offer & maybe have her read a full within a week when I already decided the agent I'm going with is a better fit for my work.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing on the partial, even if you ruffled that agent's feathers. Better to save her from wasting her time.

That's what I thought. I wonder if she is one of those agents who don't read their subs until someone else makes an offer. I was not the only one on QT not getting a response.

Well, back to withdrawing queries. I had a whole slew in March, including to some folks way behind in responding. Those who've responded to these emails have been gracious and congratulatory.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! MAJOR CONGRATS to Kharms and Hathor!

I signed with my agent almost exactly a year ago and now we've been on sub for a month. She checked in yesterday -- it's going well :D and I have so many other things going on in my life I'm able to barely even think about it. I'm so grateful patience is a virtue I possess.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
Becca--I've also been on sub for a month. Or it will be on Friday. I never got my sub list from my agent, so I'm not sure who has gotten it!

Hathor--I actually cancelled my phone call with an agent who had offered rep bc after talking to the first agent, I'd already decided. I felt kind of bad, esp when she sent an email saying how much she'd wanted to talk. But I figured in this business, why waste anyone's time? Agents are crazy busy without talking to people who aren't going to sign with them.