The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about revising with a synopsis, either. My agent put comments directly in the doc.

Congrats on going up on NetGalley, Calla! I aspire to avoid reviews, but we'll see how that goes if I ever get that far.

I got my first R today - yay! Well, maybe not yay, but I'm not terribly sad about it. It was very nice & invited us to sub anything else in the future (do they all say that?). And I didn't expect to sell right out of the gate anyway, so I feel like this is progress. Am I weird?

Good luck when you go on sub, Lena!

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Calla, that is a lot of self discipline! Congrats on NetGalley though--lots of reviews coming your way should boost visibility!

Martina--should I say congrats? :)

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
A rejection with positive feedback definitely has positive aspects! There's actually quite a lot I'm keeping in mind from my Rs as I revise.

Good luck with the submissions Lena!

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
Diana, why is there nowhere left to go? Is your agent throwing in the towel? There is always somewhere else to go. It might not be big five, and it may not be for big (or even any up front) money, but ask your agent what exactly no where else to go means?

There are a lot of avenues out there -- specialty publishers, regional publishers. A lot of possibility.

If you're done in your head, that's a different story. But it doesn't seem to be that way to me, so I'd get with your agent and ask Aaron Sorkin's two favorite questions: Quo vadimus and What's next? She can't give you answers that make you feel any worse.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Mojo, please? On a whim I entered "The Next MacGuyver" competition and they're announcing the shortlist tomorrow.

It's a humongous longshot, but hey, you never know!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mojo, please? On a whim I entered "The Next MacGuyver" competition and they're announcing the shortlist tomorrow.

*sprinkles all the mojo on you*

Best of luck, Calla!

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score

{{{MOJO}}}

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
This thread seems very quiet. For the more experienced out there, is this a slow time of year as far as agents subbing? Or is it pretty steady all year round?

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Lena, summer is hard, I think. Lots of people go on vacation starting in May and the offices take Fridays short (so they end the day at 2pm). Or lots of people take off Fridays completely. I think silence is normal, unfortunately. Submission sounds like it is getting longer and longer.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Good luck, Calla!

Lena, yeah you'll see agents and editors insist that they're working just as hard in the summer, but you'll also see a major drop-off in the numbers of deals reported. I know last year my agent didn't put my manuscript that was ready in July on sub until September because of the summer slow-down. From my querying mentality, I thought we should just get in line, but she pointed out that you wouldn't want to end up with an auction but have half the editors on vacation.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I've been ready since February, but my agent had some conferences and things, and then it was tax month, and then she was out of the country, and it's now June...really hope I don't have to wait another 3 months!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn. I totally forgot about summer. =__= I've been ready since February too. Gawd. Two years ago, I signed with my old agents in August. By the time we were ready to sub, it was 2 weeks before Christmas. There just never seems to be a good time to go on sub!

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing to report, that's my excuse... I haven't heard anything from my sub since Feb! Maybe the Rapture happened and I missed it or something.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yeah, summer subbing is even more circuslike than subbing any other time of the year. I'm trying to put it out of my head.

In a bit of good news, I got my edit letter for the horror novel, and it's a lovely one.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
There's a long list of reasons for the slowness in this industry, and it keeps getting longer. Summer. Holidays. Fairs. Mercury in retrograde.

MS has been out 8 weeks and gotten 4 passes so far. I don't think I could handle your sitch, Tree. Props for your patience!
Sent requested rewrites back to agent on another book. And waiting...
PS Selling/buying a house was not the distraction I'd hoped it would be.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Being objective. *stares at horror novel again* I'm a copyeditor, too. *stares at the edits I've made in the first 8 chapters* Without fishing for compliments, I can state that my writing has improved since I last touched this book. 3 years ago, IIRC.

*hunkers down* Hard work builds character, right?

Send speznas.