The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading your comments, but haven't had the desire to post just because it's so frustrating, being on sub. Two rejections, with six still out. On sub for 9 weeks. It's still fairly early days, I know that, but ugh. This just takes FOREVER.
The R's didn't help with comments. They said things like, "didn't connect" with the story, is all, so not very helpful.

Meanwhile, I'm being a good little writer and have finished a mss., and then started yet another. Still grinding away. *sigh*

UltraViolette

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I introduced myself a while ago and haven't been very active since—sorry! I hope you all don't mind me popping in to ask a quick question, you guys seem like the people to ask. My agent and I have a verbal handshake agreement, but no official contract. Do I have to let him go first before I query another agent with a new ms that he hasn't subbed, edited and has yet to read, though I've sent it to him? Thanks so much for any replies!

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Hi UltraViolette!

I think I need a bit of clarification. Is this new MS not something that Agent #1 could represent? Is there a reason you are seeking additional representation? Are you having second thoughts about Agent #1, or are there red flags?

If, perhaps, you wrote picture books and had a picture book MS ready to submit/query, and your agent didn't represent picture books (this happened to me), you might query a second agent for picture book projects. But either way, I'd always let your first agent know.

A verbal handshake is done in a sign of good faith, so I would be upfront and honest about your intentions and plans. However, I think I need more info before I can give you good advice.

UltraViolette

Registered
Reaction score
Hi UltraViolette!

I think I need a bit of clarification. Is this new MS not something that Agent #1 could represent? Is there a reason you are seeking additional representation? Are you having second thoughts about Agent #1, or are there red flags?

If, perhaps, you wrote picture books and had a picture book MS ready to submit/query, and your agent didn't represent picture books (this happened to me), you might query a second agent for picture book projects. But either way, I'd always let your first agent know.

A verbal handshake is done in a sign of good faith, so I would be upfront and honest about your intentions and plans. However, I think I need more info before I can give you good advice.

Hi Pinkbow. It's not that he couldn't represent the ms. Basically, I'm concerned about my agent's lack of enthusiasm for the new project.

I know it's a no-no to look for a new agent while under contract with your current agent, but was unsure if the same applied for agents who don't offer contracts (he didn't sell my last book, fwiw, and I'm no longer on sub). I don't want to be a terrible person and back-stab my agent and the stuff I'm unhappy with isn't awful, but bothersome enough that I'm thinking about these things.

Last edited:

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pinkbow. It's not that he couldn't represent the ms. Basically, I'm concerned about my agent's lack of enthusiasm for the new project, and some derogatory comments he made about the subject matter, though in the same breath he claimed to be on-board, and has been otherwise supportive.

I know it's a no-no to look for a new agent while under contract with your current agent, but was unsure if the same applied for agents who don't offer contracts (he didn't sell my last book, fwiw, and I'm no longer on sub). I don't want to be a terrible person and back-stab my agent and the stuff I'm unhappy with isn't awful, but bothersome enough that I'm thinking about these things.

The part that confused me was "verbal offer" but no contract. If he's subbed your previous work, I'm quite surprised that he didn't have you sign an agency agreement/contract. That's pretty standard. I've honestly never heard of an agent who didn't sign a contract with a client.

If you aren't happy with him, there's no reason you have to keep working with him! Sure, the stuff you dislike might not be "awful," but it sounds like you may be happier with someone who has more enthusiasm for your work.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I introduced myself a while ago and haven't been very active since—sorry! I hope you all don't mind me popping in to ask a quick question, you guys seem like the people to ask. My agent and I have a verbal handshake agreement, but no official contract. Do I have to let him go first before I query another agent with a new ms that he hasn't subbed, edited and has yet to read, though I've sent it to him? Thanks so much for any replies!
If you've sent it to him, then yes, I would let him know before querying it widely. What if he started putting together a sub list and/or sending it out and in the meantime you found another agent who was interested? That could destroy your relationship with both agents. You have all my sympathy over the situation though.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Totally agree. I would never query widely!

Querying widely is not a bad thing (in fact, if your MS is in a popular age category like MG or YA, I would say query widely as the pool is so large). But do let your current agent know that you wish to part ways BEFORE querying.

UltraViolette

Registered
Reaction score
Right! I meant I wouldn't query widely in my particular situation :)

When you guys submit a new ms to your agent, does your agent let you know when they hope to read? I asked my agent if he knew when he'd be reading the new ms and he ignored my question. I don't expect a fast read, but open-ended waiting is proving to be difficult.

Last edited:

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I don't mean "widely" as in everyone in the business, just out to other agents.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
WOOT Pinkbow!!!!! The blurb looks so good--can't wait to read!!!! :hooray:

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys!! This is all very surreal and strange.

I actually just got a draft of the potential cover from my publisher (ahh). It's not finalized or anything, but I really like it so far and I'm going to give some feedback and input. And of course, my agent will weigh in too.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Pinkbow! This is so exciting!

Hey y'all, I'm alive. It's been a crazy couple of weeks. I had some weird allergic reaction that landed me in the hospital for a few days. All good now, and while I was still recovering from that I went to the RWA national conference. So I was not at my most energetic, and it was for the best that I wasn't pitching or anything! No real news on the sub front, my agent is starting some round two subs while we're still waiting for about half of the first round. I did come away from RWA with some real inspiration, so I'm working on getting my writing groove back. Just as soon as I catch up on a little more sleep.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pinkbow - That is super exciting! Congrats!!

Jeneral - Geez, that's rough. I'm glad you're feeling much better now.

Edits are going a lot slower than I'd like, but they're going, and I'm really excited about this book now...like properly, thinking-about-the-plot-at-night excited, so yaaay. I live for this feeling, really, the falling in love with an MS part of writing. :)

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh Putputt, that's the best part, the "thinking about it at night" part! I love when I hit that part of the writing. I'm excited for you!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Jeneral, that's so scary--glad you're feeling better now!!!

Putputt, I love that feeling!!!

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Pinkbow! How fun is that! Can't wait to see the cover.
Jeneral, glad you pulled through okay.
I'm a ten weeks on sub now with no further word. Slog. Slog. Slog.