Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*makes a few pitchers of speznas, lines up the barstools, opens the door, and begins pouring*

All we need is a few men in kilts to catch us before we hit the floor.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Nope. Reject. And nowhere left to go. So it's over.
Diana, it ain't over. Not even. I keep thinking of the 150+ queries I sent out, and finally got that agent. Round effing one. You have surpassed that, clearly.
(((hugs))), for tonight. :Hug2:This is a setback, so feel bad if you must but tomorrow is another day and hope springs eternal, dammit.

Last edited:

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, at 4 months I'd start thinking, 'Hmm, it's been a long while, now...' But I wouldn't start making a fuss until 6.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty much my experience ATM.

Oh hugs Diana. Was that a first round? Or is that it??

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Got my fourth pass today. It was a nice pass and subjective, but still a pass...

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HI KK! *pounces* *crushes yew*

I'm so sorry to hear that, Diana. :( I've been on that boat, I know the soul-sucking feeling of "No more subs to make." *huuuugs*

diana86

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianaurban.com
Thanks for the kind words and virtual hugs everyone. Yes, that was the final round. Such an incredible letdown.

BTW, Roly, it was normal for me to not hear from large rounds of editors for 3-4 months before rejections started coming in. These were multiple rounds of 8-12 editors, and complete radio silence. I suspected it had something to do with my agent not having good relationships with those editors and/or not creating a sense of urgency or making my MS seem like a hot project, but could be wrong. There's no way to know, really.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Really sorry for you. Don't forget that you can always revisit this manuscript later, though, after making your WIP your focus for a while!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
So many hugs, Diana! My favorite submission story to tell is Hilary M0nah@m's debut YA sold after 18 months on sub. That's over a year. Don't give up hope!

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs*, Diana. So sorry.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
Sooooo sorry, Diana! *hugs*

I've been lurking on here since I got an agent 3 or 4 months ago. I go on sub next week (eek! terrified!). I'm supposed to get the list when my agent sends it out, so hopefully it will have some good ones on there. Learning how slow things really move in this business...and hoping I won't be on sub for quite as long as 18 months.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
That's a bit of a fringe case! But yes - everything moves veeeeerrry veeeerrry slowly. Because everyone's doing a hundred things at once!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I don't think it's right to say 18 months is a fringe case when loads of people don't even end up selling the first book they put on submission. Things are stretching out longer and longer and longer. I'm not far from eighteen months myself, with the first book we put on sub. The best thing is to be working on the next book so your agent has something else to try to sell before eighteen months have passed.

foxfeet

Registered
Reaction score
A cave under a rock at the bottom of the ocean
Lena welcome to round 2 of the waiting game! I've been out for about 2 months now ... my agent nudged a couple of weeks ago, but so far we've still only got the one little rejection. While I hope to not hit that 18 month mark, I'm trying hard to accept how hard this industry is and the fact that even perfectly good books can run into bad luck and not find a home. I'm doing edits on the next *thing* and really hoping my agent likes it as much as I do.

Diana, I'm so sorry to hear the last round didn't work out. That just sucks. *Nudges over a plate of double-chocolate cookies*

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, Diana, so sorry. ((((Hugs)))), cookies and speznas coming your way.

Welcome Lena, and good luck on sub!!! And good luck foxfeet!!!

Agree that the waits seem to be getting longer--I can't speak for all cases, but I've heard stories of a year on sub or more...

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's right to say 18 months is a fringe case when loads of people don't even end up selling the first book they put on submission. Things are stretching out longer and longer and longer. I'm not far from eighteen months myself, with the first book we put on sub. The best thing is to be working on the next book so your agent has something else to try to sell before eighteen months have passed.

You're probably right. Admittedly I only have a small pool of people whose experiences I can draw on, and people have definitely sold books that have been out on submission for longer!

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
got my notes got my notes got my notes!! Making a long chapter by chapter synopsis for the re-write so that we can go through it together over the phone. It is 12 page/6k long. Is that ridiculous or acceptable? I guess there isn't a universal answer to this, but has anyone got any experience with this situation? It is a hefty re-write, so I wanted to include everything, but I don't want her to think I've suddenly become a word-vomiter overnight ;)

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear back from my agent (while obsessively checking my email every hour, of course) so I can't say I'm officially on sub yet! Ridiculously excited to take this step, though I know it's more waiting from here...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yay, Lonegungrrrly! I've never edited via synopsis, so I can't be too useful. But I've gotten 20-page edit letters(!) so 12 pages sounds like a sweet spot.

In Lilyville news, Nun Too Soon hit NetGalley today. Thus begins another cycle of e sticking my fingers in my ears and saying "Lalalalalala I can't HEAR you" because I do not read reviews.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Lonegungrrrly! I've never edited via synopsis, so I can't be too useful. But I've gotten 20-page edit letters(!) so 12 pages sounds like a sweet spot.

In Lilyville news, Nun Too Soon hit NetGalley today. Thus begins another cycle of e sticking my fingers in my ears and saying "Lalalalalala I can't HEAR you" because I do not read reviews.

20 pages! Wow. thank you that has put my eager little worrying writer brain at ease. And good luck with the first round of reviews it must be so exciting and also terrifying in equal amounts. I don't think I'd read reviews either.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay on receiving the notes, lonegungrrly! I have also never edited using synopsis, so I can't be of much help, but maybe you could ask your agent on how she wants you to do it? If not, just go with your instincts.

Congrats on NetGalley, Calla!!! I don't think I'd be disciplined enough to not read my book reviews, but that would definitely be something I'd aim for if it ever happens. :)