The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
pink - sounds like we're in the same boat: all my passes to date have been super complimentary of the writing, but had issues with X, Y or Z. No consensus on the feedback, so Agent doesn't want me to revise yet. It's hard not to get discouraged and start worrying, though.

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for those R's, Pinkbow. Please have some cookies. Cookies make us feel better.

My agent finally let me know he's reading my latest mss. and says it's "quite good." Yay for agent compliments. He asked me to write a "pitch" ugh, hate doing those, but I did it. That went off this afternoon.

Now, the waiting begins again again again.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Fuchsia! I have it on order!

Hugs, Pink! Close!!!

Bryan - what happens when you miss a deadline? (say, if your editor wasn't busy)

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got another reply! It was a rejection but I don't even care. As I said to my agent, it's not the rejection that hurts; it's the waiting.

It was a very nice rejection with lots of compliments. The editor really liked the first 2/3rds but had an issue with the last part. Totally fair criticism, but pretty subjective. She also said she expects another publisher will snap the MS up, which they probably say to everyone but I'm going to take to heart anyway. ;)

This is such a screwed up industry when I'm so happy about a pass!

diana86

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianaurban.com
Finally got another reply! It was a rejection but I don't even care. As I said to my agent, it's not the rejection that hurts; it's the waiting.

I'm sorry about the pass! But this is also exactly how I feel. The waiting is much more torturous than the passes. Last time I was on sub for a year and a half, and I wished I got all the passes within one month so it could have been over with instead of dragging it out over 18 MONTHS. All that waiting and torture for absolutely nothing. BLERGH.

Hopefully I'm not in for more of the same this time, I'm already 6 months in...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Now this is funny or ironic. I called agent just to check in and hear about all the rejections, which is actually fun for us. Still agent says "many nudges to go". And then off the cuff I mentioned that I was three chapters into a sprawling contemp romance and that my female collaborator was as smart as paint and REALLY thrusting this project forward. I was so proud and glad she was on my team.

My agent said, "Awww...Chris, you finally got a girlfriend!"

Sara's been with me for six years. Nothing we say surprises the other.

But I'm sure she could hear me blush through the receiver.

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks so much, Martina! I was super-excited, too! (And btw, I can recommend a few other books on that list, especially Le@rning to Swear in America — it's about a killer asteroid and a quirky love story, and it is freaking hilarious and not like any other YA I've read, plus it has ACTUAL NERDY SCIENCE.)

I'm so sorry about the passes, Pinkbow, Earthling, others. But it is often subjective, as Pinkbow's agent says. And so unpredictable.

Re: deadlines: From what I understand, if you can't make an editorial deadline (and I have heard of writers getting some very tight deadlines), you say so and negotiate a new one. Sometimes there's a risk your book could get pushed back in the publication schedule. But it's not like my newspaper job, where if you miss a deadline by three days, we will curse your name and never work with you again. :) Publishing has longer lead times.

So happy your agent likes the new one, CC!

Tri, your agent sounds like A TRIP. And a great person to work with.

Liz, yay for the prequel going out! And for your agent providing more info. Fingers crossed for the new subs.

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Yeah, it took me a while to pry the details of the submission for Channing out of my agent . . . and my reaction was GLEE when I saw the rejections. I seriously did not care, mostly because I knew there must have been rejections and I just wanted to see them. Even if/when more come in, I'm happy to see them. I get slightly stung for a moment, then I'm over it. What really hurts is walking around in a cloud of uncertainty and anxiousness (I was getting very, very anxious). Knowing what's going on, even if it isn't awesome, is much, much better for my mental health!

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
It's so funny....for the longest time I would've killed for an agent. I thought, that's the dream, that's when you're SET. But now, about a year after signing with an agent, I'm in the midst of submission like...wow. This business, man.

On a happy note, I checked out some really awesome new YA at my local bookstore recently. I'll have a lot to read! I'm loving that I'm seeing so many beautiful hardcovers from small presses and indie pubs as well as Big 5 too.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
It's so funny....for the longest time I would've killed for an agent. I thought, that's the dream, that's when you're SET. But now, about a year after signing with an agent, I'm in the midst of submission like...wow. This business, man.

Tell me about it. I'm going on two years with my agent and I still haven't even gone out on submission.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

No kidding! I never thought of the possibility of your agent losing interest in you after Book 1 doesn't sell, or your agent just being a bad fit for you, or your agent leaving the industry, or or or... *twitches* But no, I can't think about all of that right now. I have a gold star of an agent and am on the brink of going into subs, so my fingers are still firmly crossed!

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
No kidding! I never thought of the possibility of your agent losing interest in you after Book 1 doesn't sell, or your agent just being a bad fit for you, or your agent leaving the industry, or or or... *twitches* But no, I can't think about all of that right now. I have a gold star of an agent and am on the brink of going into subs, so my fingers are still firmly crossed!

Awesome news! Here's to a short wait for you :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Tell me about it. I'm going on two years with my agent and I still haven't even gone out on submission.

Yep. I've been with my last agent for 5.5 years and got one small and one medium deal. In 13 years of full-time writing, I have never hit NYC or any large independent, except for my first two non-fiction books in 1988. I've had three top-gun agents during this time, and have had 15 books put out on sub.

It's a total heart-crusher. My current agent, for the past three years, has told me that it is astounding that I haven't been discovered yet. Like Mel Fisher, she always says, "This year is your year." God bless this woman--she goes ovaries out for me and I love her.

I have actually aged at AW more than I like to admit. I'm one of the dinosaurs now, and it saddens me.

But we fight on. I can't do anything else with my life.