The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say HIIIII :D :snoopy: (Still revising, still querying, no sub news of course, but just waved to wave to everyone *waves*)

Arkady, my fingers are crossed for good news soon!

((Hugs Diana for the crickets on an R&R))

Earthling, hoping you hear soon. I would say nudge at the 2 month mark if you haven't. I feel like usually we hear things then? *shrug* who knows...

Pinkbow, good luck on the job! *fingers crossed*

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
90 days on my series pitch with nothing but R's. All the pubs that have it say on their websites they answer within six weeks or sixty days, so it's probably dead.

You know that advice we're always given not to wait around and write the next book? Well, I'm sure glad I did that because otherwise it would be beyond depressing.

Not to be a downer or anything. :tongue

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
CCC - A cocktail of your choice? I'll be barlady.

Smiley - Hi! I think my agent said she would nudge at three months, but I hope we hear back from at least a few editors before then. Even if it's a rejection, I want to know how close I am.

In the summer, publishing slows waaaay down and at the major pubs, anyway, most people work half days on Fridays. At least in NYC - maybe London is different?

Ohhh I didn't know that, thank you. I'm on sub to the NYC publishers so this'll apply to me too.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Three and a half months all in all for me, with two small batches. The first one went out early Feb., to 5 pubs, 4 of whom have now passed. :cry: The second one went out about a month later (at which time, my agent also nudged the others, as we hadn't heard from any of them yet), pitched to another 5, 4 fulls requested, one pass to date).

Feedback has been complimentary of the writing and mostly of the maddening "I didn't fall in love" variety. No consensus on the things that haven't worked for people. So frustrating!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
pinkbowvintage, happy birthday!

For me, it's, what, seven and a half or eight months now that I've been "on sub" with Channing, but realistically the clock ran out for it a while back. We lost momentum. I'm working on a revision on The Prequel, which looks like it'll be our focus now. I'm going to have a phone call with my agent tomorrow.

arkady 7

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update- I've got phone calls with editors at two of the big five tomorrow. I'm rolling around on the ground shrieking, flailing, and trying to type out coherent responses to my agent. I have this weird fear that I'm going to just utter gibberish on the phone and lose whatever chance I had at a book deal.

But HAPPY BIRTHDAY, pinkbowvintage! Doing anything exciting?

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
It's my birthday today! :hooray:

HIPY PAPY BTHUTHDTH THUTHDA BTHUTHDY!

Feedback has been complimentary of the writing and mostly of the maddening "I didn't fall in love" variety. No consensus on the things that haven't worked for people. So frustrating!

Yup, I know that feeling very well. It's maddening but you only need one person to fall in love, after all!

arkady 7

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!!! I shall. I shall spill every single gory detail without compromising my identity.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
OMG Arkady!!!!!!!! How exciting! Report back (well I guess as vague as can be lol). :snoopy: :snoopy:

Ahhh, summer Fridays. Those jerks lol. ;) I'm kidding but it does make waiting even slower. (and tons of people go on vacation in the summer so it's half-day Fridays+vacation for a week...)

Hugs, moonchild and CCC.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for hugs!

arkady - that sounds so promising! Remember: they like your writing. You'll do fine on the calls! Do spill when you're able.

pinkbow - happy birthday! :partyguy:

Bryan - thanks for the empathy. :Hug2: I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that the MS hits the right editor inbox at the right time... just like it evenutally hit the right agent inbox at the right time. Sigh.

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, pinkbow!

Arkady, I can't wait to hear the details. It sounds like you get a chance to shop them for a change.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arkady - WUUUT. Congratulations!!! Can't wait to hear how the phone calls go. How will you be able to sleep tonight??

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Bryan - thanks for the empathy. :Hug2: I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that the MS hits the right editor inbox at the right time... just like it evenutally hit the right agent inbox at the right time. Sigh.

That's the spirit! Getting an agent is such a huge step, and they know which editors to target. I really hope it all comes together for you.

Update- I've got phone calls with editors at two of the big five tomorrow. I'm rolling around on the ground shrieking, flailing, and trying to type out coherent responses to my agent. I have this weird fear that I'm going to just utter gibberish on the phone and lose whatever chance I had at a book deal.

But HAPPY BIRTHDAY, pinkbowvintage! Doing anything exciting?

Wowee! Sorry I missed this one in my last post. Congratulations and I hope it's a great experience.

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Pinkbowvintage - happy belated birthday!

Arkady - Augh good luck! Keep us posted (as much as you can tell us)!

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, missed Pinkbow's birthday. I guess you have to celebrate today, too, right?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Happy (belated) birthday pinkbow!:partyguy:

And Arkady, woohoo!!! Have a :banana: or two! Keep us updated!!!

arkady 7

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh jeez...where do I even start....
I don't know how much I can say, only that I'm rolling around bashing my head into things like R2. I got on the phone expecting it to be like a job interview, wondering if they would hate me, but they just jumped right in talking about their editorial visions and marketing strategies and release dates...
Nothing is a done deal yet because we're waiting on some other big 5 editors who still have it, but my agent is fairly sure we're going to auction this week (?!!!?!?!?!)

The support is really appreciated, guys. Thanks for venting with me through this
but I THINK I'M APPROACHING THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL