AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 216 of 216 FirstFirst ... 116141166191206210211212213214215216
Results 5,376 to 5,385 of 5385

Thread: The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmuse View Post
    But Trudeau. We have.... not Trudeau down here. So there you have it. Also, I ate Hawaiian pizza for lunch today. One of my faves.
    I will admit, Trudeau is one of our better ideas in recent times. And no, this time, you can't have him, he's staying up here.

practical experience, FTW Quickbread's Avatar
    Somewhere between the beginning and the end
    EMaree and RaggedEdge, congrats on your agents!!

I just got back from a writing workshop with a big NYC editor. She liked my new novel opening and marked all over it. I have so much work to do. The weekend has me wondering whether I should continue revising the first manuscript or move on. She told me editors are very nervous right now to publish work about marginalized characters when the writer is not of that persuasion, even with a sensitivity reader onboard. She said I could get around it but I probably need to make some meaningful inroads with the people I'm writing about. I'll have to figure out if I can even do that. :-\

Oooh Quickbread, so cool (and nerve-wracking)!

I just finally bit the bullet and sent in my revisions for Book2 on sub to my agent, and I'm in desperate need of a rum & coke.
    YA debut BURRO HILLS coming from Diversion Books on March 20, 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - On submission + revising
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 54k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickbread View Post
    EMaree and RaggedEdge, congrats on your agents!!

I just got back from a writing workshop with a big NYC editor. She liked my new novel opening and marked all over it. I have so much work to do. The weekend has me wondering whether I should continue revising the first manuscript or move on. She told me editors are very nervous right now to publish work about marginalized characters when the writer is not of that persuasion, even with a sensitivity reader onboard. She said I could get around it but I probably need to make some meaningful inroads with the people I'm writing about. I'll have to figure out if I can even do that. :-\
    That, is very interesting.

Congrats on the 'situation so far'

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid Fuchsia Groan's Avatar
    Congratulations, EMaree and RaggedEdge! So happy to see you here!!!

I have an untouched bottle of Knob Creek I bought nearly a year ago (prefer wine and cider generally). Hot toddies are nice when it gets cold, plus I might just be doing my own personal NaNo to finish a draft asap. There's NO way I can write a whole book in a month (75-80k is my sweet spot, and I like to revise as I go), but I can do a chunk...

Sounds like an amazing workshop, Quick! And interesting advice. I've gotten the sense the tide is turning that way in YA, but don't know much about adult.
    YA thriller The K1ller in M3, out now from D1sn3y-Hyper1on

"Taut storytelling and believable characters make this a standout mystery" ó Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram

Anyone know anything about publishing with an Amazon imprint?

I pitched to an agent with an Amazon Imprint and she requested the first 100 pages of my ms.

Iíll be honest, I didnít know who she was when I pitched. Only that she was interested in my specific genre.

She was very eager, which seemed exciting at first, and then when she gave me her card, I saw was with Amazon Publishing. That wasnít so exciting...

However, I donít want to be judgemental... Iíd love to hear your thoughts, knowledge and experience.

I want to be traditionally published..... my impression is that Amazon imprints are kind of like a blend between self publishing and traditional. Is this the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Shalon View Post
    Anyone know anything about publishing with an Amazon imprint?

I pitched to an agent with an Amazon Imprint and she requested the first 100 pages of my ms.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t know who she was when I pitched. Only that she was interested in my specific genre.

She was very eager, which seemed exciting at first, and then when she gave me her card, I saw was with Amazon Publishing. That wasn’t so exciting...

However, I don’t want to be judgemental... I’d love to hear your thoughts, knowledge and experience.

I want to be traditionally published..... my impression is that Amazon imprints are kind of like a blend between self publishing and traditional. Is this the case?
    Hi RaggedEdge, and welcome to the mad house Exciting times!

Shalon - take this with a pinch of salt as I've never had anything to do with them personally, but from what I gather you get an advance, editing, professional covers, marketing etc just as you would with a traditional publisher, but you are tied to, and at the mercy of, Amazon, with everything good and bad that entails. I gather it's very skewed towards digital sales, so don't expect your books to be distributed in every high street bookshop for example, but on the other hand...Amazon marketing. It's certainly not self-publishing with their imprints.
    Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
    Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
    Website Twitter

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg Putputt's Avatar
    Quickbread - Ooh, tricky situation! But I have faith that you have what it takes to traverse the rough terrain...and having editor interest is very helpful! Best of luck with it!

Pinkbow - Great news! Hope your agent reads fast and subs it even faster!

Shalon - I don't know much about Amazon publishing...sorry! But I've never heard of agents working directly for Amazon imprints...is it an agent or an acquisitions editor? In any case, you might have better luck asking this question in the Ask An Agent forum.

I have surpassed 35K in my MS, and bluuhhhh it feels never-ending. It needs to be 75K and I feel like I'm never going to get there. I want to take a break, but if I pause, I think I might never start again. *continues slogging forward*
    Kallithrix: "you're like pot noodle - you know it's dirty, unwholesome, trashy drunk food, but.... you just want it in your mouf"

Wee hippo has a message for everyone: DIIIIIE.

practical experience, FTW Bryan Methods's Avatar
    Gah did I miss the whisky party? Nothing beats a good single malt...
    The Shanghai Incident was published by Lerner Books on October 1st!

Represented by Transatlantic Literary Agency. Please come see me at bryanmethods.com!

Twitter: Methodsism
    Facebook: Bryanmethods
    Youtube: Methods in his Madness

I have a friend who is being published with Amazon, but the book just got acquired so I don't really have any good info. My agent has subbed my book to them too but we haven't heard back yet. Amazon's romance imprint had a good presence at the RWA national conference and had its own signing time, etc., and one of their books was a RITA finalist. The "physical copies in the bookstore" might be an issue (the books at their signing were all the trade paperback size, as opposed to mass market), but general consensus seems to be that you'd be well positioned in Amazon's marketplace since the book is an Amazon product. But that's really the extent of my (puny) knowledge.

Fuschia - that's pretty much my NaNo plan, but in reverse. I'm hoping to get to (at least) the 30K mark by the end of this month, and then I'm hoping to NaNo draft the rest of this first draft in my WIP. I'm just gonna keep on going, and start counting words on 11/1.

Keep slogging, Putputt!! You got this!
    MS0: Terrible ghost story. Trunked, to be mined later for decent descriptive phrases.
    MS.5: Florida Suburban Fantasy. On Hold till after some kissing is written.
    MS1: Contemporary romance with a Russian accent. Paused.
    MS2: Fake engagement plus tattoos, cake, and kissing. On hold but still viable.
    MS3:
    Kissing at the Renaissance Faire. Drafting.
    MS4: Kissing at the Renaissance Faire Book 2, Electric Boogaloo. Thinking about.
    MS5: Kissing at the Renaissance Faire Book 3. Oh no Jen what is your brain doing.

Website / Twitter

Page 216 of 216 FirstFirst ... 116141166191206210211212213214215216