The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
MM - Good luck on the R&R! I've done tonnnnnns of them for agents (at least it feels like it at this point), and I know exactly what you mean about wanting to get it done and sent off. Taking your time and making sure it's right is key.

KSavoie - That whole thing sounds really promising to me. Good luck! I hope you get good news soon.

Funaek - Good luck on sub!!

Chilly rainy day here in Florida, so I think it'll be a good weekend to get work done on these revisions. At least I hope so.

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
MM - I'm exactly the same! I've now learned that I have to step away from my ms completely to let it sit before going through it again. Otherwise, as I'm tinkering with the remaining light edits I'll be tempted to send it off right after I finish. My best edits have always come after I take at least a week off to step back from the ms and then revisit it with fresh eyes. Good luck! It sounds like you've got a good handle on the edits and hope it works out well!

Jeneral - Good luck on the revisions! Chilly, rainy weather is the best for sitting at home and getting work done.

CMI & KSavoie - Rs always suck, but at least that type of R means that someone really loved what you wrote, but the concern was more marketing. I've gotten some of those Rs and I've gotten the other types of Rs that hit harder (e.g., couldn't connect to characters, loved characters but couldn't connect to story, criticized a typo in the first couple chapters). Hopefully you'll find the right home for your book!

Putputt - It's so funny you mentioned her, because I only just started reading her books this past year and have been blown away by her world-building and stories! My ms involves alternate dimensions and time travel. I never thought I'd write one involving time travel because they're so complicated and I'm very much a firm believer in fixed timeline. I guess we'll see how it goes, but I'm going to try to set expectations low and busy myself with other work to keep distracted.

I should be working or cleaning up my Christmas tree, but I'm sitting internets-ing while I wait for the snow here to stop so I can shovel. Happy weekend!

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Have some rejection rum on me, KS. :Hug2: Those are really difficult, aren't they? They feel SO CLOSE. I've had similar "it'd be hard to stand out on our list" rejections.

Have some more rum on me, cmi. I know that feeling. The marketing aspect of publishing is endlessly frustrating from a writer's perspective, since we really have no control over the market or what's popular at any given time. But keep plugging away!

Funaek, I have faith in you and your book! MG with complicated plots tend to be more long-lasting for readers in my opinion, as opposed to ones with simplistic plots that fit a current marketing trend.

Cutting a character sounds daunting, Martina, but I have faith you can do it. I have anxiety so I always want to finish it ASAP, make it perfect ASAP, etc. Letting go of that is difficult since the publishing world moves soooooo slooww.

VEHust

Registered
Reaction score
Hathor - Thanks! I'm glad the timeline works for you. I LOVE Aphrodite, she's my favorite Greek goddess!

PuttPutt- I'm sorry about the R's they have to hurt even more at this stage :Hug2:But yay that your edits are going well, I love edits, best part of the process. Baby proofing takes so much time! But it saves time in the long run! I hope everything went quickly for you.

Cristin - Oh My Goodness, your book sounds fab! Historical fiction is so much fun my first MS was historical :D

KSavoie - Thanks! I'm hoping they'll becoming to you soon, but only the next few months will tell. Oh my goodness the second editor e-mail sounds so promising! Sorry about the R but hopefully good news is on its way.

cmi - I'm sorry about the R.

Funaek - At least you're going into the process with your eyes open! I hope it sells.

MartinaMay- I hope your revision goes smoothly, I hate having to cut characters.

Jeneral- I think Florida is trying to kill us with this 40 degree rain, bleh, I can't wait for it so be back in the 70's. But I wrote a ton this weekend, I hope you did too.

I'm talking on the phone with my agent today and it's nerve wracking because, submission! But I'm just so happy to finally be here. I'm going to run away and work on the new shiny while the baby is still sleeping.

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
undergradtoauthor.blogspot.com
Ended up with a rejection from the editor that was passed my MS from the other editor at the same publishing house. She said she was intrigued but didn't like the setting or one of the main side characters.

I'm still out with plenty of editors but getting so close and then being rejected is turning out to be way harder than just a plain rejection.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
KS, :Hug2: I'm really glad they passed it to another editor though; your book is clearly awesome, just needs to find the right home.

This is the hardest stage of the game, in my opinion. You're doing great!

VEHust, yay for submission! I hope everything goes smoothly as you transition to this uh....fun time! Fingers crossed for a quick sale. Working on my second book was the only thing that got me through it.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I had to cut my love interest in this R&R. That was really hard. I swear I felt like Kate pushing Leo off that door at the end of Titanic. But the book's not remotely the same book anymore, just have to move onward and upward. And maybe find new homes for these poor bookless characters in future manuscripts :)

KSavoie, that sucks. But it means you're very, very close. So try not to feel too discouraged.

Good luck to everybody going on sub or already on sub!

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
VEHust - Aaaahhh, congrats on going out on subs! And fist bump for working while baby is sleeping. So glad to know someone else is writing with a youngun in the house. :)

KS - Ugh, sorry to hear that. :( That is truly gut-wrenching. *big big hugs* But like everyone said, having en editor pass your book along clearly means it rocks, so it's just a matter of time. Hang in there!

Niiicola - Wow, I can't imagine having to cut the LI. That must change a lot of the plot. Are you almost done with the R&R?

Editing is still going well, and slowly but surely the house is getting back into shape. I actually have a working study room now that is no longer filled with baby stuff. Aaaahhh! Bear with me while I share my joy. This is the first time in over...I dunno, 15 years? That I actually have a dedicated working space where I can close the door and just...write.

R8RtmS5.jpg

Still need to unpack all my books. I've saved the best for last!

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
KSavoie: I'm sorry. It's hard when you get that close. But, if one editor loved it, another will, too, enough to offer. Will your agent send more subs soon?

VE: good luck on sub! I hope you hear wonderful things quickly.

Putputt: Your works space is very cute. So sunny and cheerful. I want one like that! I have a desk for writing now, but it's in the laundry room. I get to listen to the clothing tumbling around while I write. But it beats my former location: in a chair in the living room with the TV going in the background.

Niiicola: I can't imagine trying to cut a LI. Wow. The character I'm cutting is a minor secondary character (MC's dgtr). While she's present in many scenes, she doesn't play a very active role in the MS. Which could be why the editor wants her removed... (note to self: make sure all characters play active roles or cut them before going on sub)

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
VE--you better be careful or I'll just go ahead and send Aphrodite to you. :tongue One more read through today, and this may be it. Unless something jumps out at me, as things like to do. Anyone else interested BTW? Flexible timeline (no rush at all) and I'll be glad to reciprocate. Anyone interested can just PM me.

Good luck on sub and that nice new shiny. I haven't decided on my next project yet. (Yes, I hear you, Moonchild. You want me to do Lilith. I understand. ;))

Sympathies for having to cut characters, etc. In the MS VE has, I had to cut out a lot of background and make some changes to the plot and character motivation/knowledge. I did manage to salvage some bits and tossed them into Aphrodite. Er, carefully inserted them at appropriate locations.

Good luck to us all.

We're supposed to do another burst of pitching beginning this month. I'm trying to be patient and not pester my agent ("Have you done it yet? Have you? Have you?" :Jump:).

Meanwhile, all the stuff re: my mother's estate keeps dragging on. Why don't people mail things the next day when they assure you they will? Or call? Or send checks within the time they said it would take? Or be consistent? Why can't AT&T just do what they say they will? (Four phone calls and counting...)

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Niiicola -- I can't imagine having to cut a LI!!! (Maybe cause I write contemp YA romances?)

PutPutt -- Ahhh I love your writing space! Super cute. Totally jealous!

Martina -- I'm on sub with a handful of editors still. So fingers crossed one of them comes through!

VE -- Must have missed your mention of going on sub with my self centered rejection feels >_<! Congrats!!! It's exciting and vomit-inducing all at once.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Just trying to keep my head up.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MM - Yep, I've had to work with the TV on in the background. Is there anything more teeth-grittingly frustrating than trying to write while someone else watches TV? Tumbling laundry is way better.

Hathor - Aaaahhh to the pitching!! I hope your agent updates you soon with great news! And sorry to hear about your mother's estate. Hope that gets sorted soon!

KS - Hang in there! We're in the same boat. I keep trying not to notice that it's already the 10th and offices are all open by now. Haven't had a good night's sleep since last week because I keep waking up and checking my phone to see if I have any missed calls. Sooo...I feel your pain. Hopefully our wait ends soon, with good news.

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
KSavoie - the ones that are so close and yet not quite there are the hardest!

Putputt - I love your writing space! And I am so envious of your window seat! I've always wanted a nice, cozy window seat. Living space goal!

Major revisions are hard! Niiicola, did you change the love interest or just completely cut it out of the story? The second ms I sent my agent she didn't love and had suggestions about taking the character out of the historical novel and putting her in a contemporary setting. I did a full revision to the point where there was nothing the same from my previous version other than the main character, and even she changed a lot. But, I was able to bring in one of the favorite elements from a ms that I trunked the previous year and it made me happy to see it being given a second life.

Good luck to everyone out on sub!

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda feels like everyone is in need of a pick me up.

Let's all keep our heads held high.

A little perspective always helps. We are all pursing our dreams and are on the road to living them. We are all working hard and challenging ourselves and challenging each other. More importantly, we are supporting and encouraging one another.

Some people go into the shower and come up with great ideas for stories or ideas for things they hope to accomplish. Then they get out of the shower and forget to act on them. Everyone here has put the effort in and we can all be proud of that.

I hope everyone in this thread realizes their dreams and gets that deal they are looking for. What an achievement that would be. But in the meantime, take some time today to remember that you are here, you already made it this far, you already took the leap and you're still in there fighting for your stories.

Appreciate the journey, my friends. Always appreciate the journey.

pinkbowvintage

&#9812;
Registered
Reaction score
I second that, spikeman.

Even though this business is tumultuous and unpredictable, with so many ups and downs and twists and turns, I'm really thankful I have a place like AW to talk to fellow authors going through the same things. I'm also really proud to be part of a group of writers who are brave enough to put their work out there on submission and do the work necessary to getting published. We are all taking enormous risks, and I really do believe everyone here will get a deal sooner or later. You're an extremely talented and hard-working group.

Cristin_B

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the optimistic perspective, Spikeman and Pinkbowvintage. I haven't heard from my agent in over a month. She sends me responses as soon as they come in, so it just means there's no news to report. Still, the waiting is heavy.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive vibes, Spikeman and Pinkbow! I love this place so much. It's a solace from submissions hell, that's for sure.

So good and bad news for me. I got another R (4th one this year, and the 2nd one for this particular MS), but my agent said "I'm not worried as it's still out with X number of editors." Well, that number is ridiculously large. My agent notifies me each time an editor requests my MSs, but he must have forgotten a few of them because holy crap, my MS is out with a lot more editors than I thought. So I'm super excited about that. Also, 4th R of the year means...offices are open and editors are back at it. The submission lull is ooooover!

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Major revisions are hard! Niiicola, did you change the love interest or just completely cut it out of the story? The second ms I sent my agent she didn't love and had suggestions about taking the character out of the historical novel and putting her in a contemporary setting. I did a full revision to the point where there was nothing the same from my previous version other than the main character, and even she changed a lot. But, I was able to bring in one of the favorite elements from a ms that I trunked the previous year and it made me happy to see it being given a second life.

Yep, this is a full rewrite, as well. I changed the setting of a major part of the book, which has completely changed the MC's background and emotional journey. And since I was asked to tone down this particular romantic subplot, it made more sense to combine him with another character. So he never really had a chance with this draft. That's encouraging that you were able to bring in stuff from a trunked MS. There may be hope for him yet!

spikeman, thanks for that. It's exactly what I needed to hear.

Putt, so sorry to hear about the rejection, but it sounds like you've still got tons of chances out there, and that's great that your agent is so optimistic.

And Cristin, good luck. Waiting is probably the worst part of all of this.

WhirlyGirly

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking on this thread for...oh, I don't know, four years or so. There have been a lot of ups and downs. My ms is now with a few editors, and I just heard it is going to acquisitions. I've been here before, but this time feels different, so fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone who is also waiting, waiting, waiting. God, four years of waiting.

Cristin_B

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, WhirlyGirly!!! I hope you get good news!

I've just received my first 2 R's of the new year. Which...is somehow better than silence. You're right, Putputt, it means editors are back at it. I hope we all have good news coming our way soon.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whirlygirly - Oh man, that is so exciting!! Fingers crossed for you!!

Cristin - *hugs* Yep, they are back at it for sure. Like you, I much prefer the Rs to silence, lol.

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Whirlygirly - Good luck!!

Cristin - Sorry for the Rs. Like you and putputt, I prefer any response to silence. Silence is the worst!

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Whirlygirl -- Good luck!!

Besides those two rejections recently, all I'm getting is tons of silence. Is it weird I'm itching for an answer even if it's a R? This is probably my anxiety talking haha.