AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 207 of 223 FirstFirst ... 107132157182197201202203204205206207208209210211212213217 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 5551

Thread: The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

I've found that, for me at least, the lower in age groups I go, the more difficult it is.

Which could explain why my attempt at a picture book was wordy and 800 words!
    YA debut BURRO HILLS coming from Diversion Books on March 20, 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - On submission + revising
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 54k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter

Hey, I'm here. The past week or so has been a blur as I prepared for and then rode out Hurricane Irma here in Florida. It was a terrifying time as we watched the forecast track inch its way west across the state, starting out not too bad for us, getting progressively worse, then slightly better, finally settling into "kind of crappy but we might just get a tree through our roof and not lose the house." After the power went out while the storm was on its way I was in the bathroom, drinking wine directly out of the bottle and watching the radar on our tablet. When it came inland it was headed directly for us, but thankfully lost a fair amount of steam so we didn't get it too badly.

We were without power for two days, which isn't that bad really. The whole Central Florida area is still kind of a post-apocalyptic wasteland. But the good news is that I wasn't worried much about my book on sub!

Still trying to get my brain back in a writing place, but it's not there yet. Hopefully soon.
    MS0: Terrible ghost story. Trunked, to be mined later for decent descriptive phrases.
    MS.5: Florida Suburban Fantasy. On Hold till after some kissing is written.
    MS1: Contemporary romance with a Russian accent. Paused.
    MS2: Fake engagement plus tattoos, cake, and kissing. On hold but still viable.
    MS3:
    Kissing at the Renaissance Faire. Drafting.
    MS4: Kissing at the Renaissance Faire Book 2, Electric Boogaloo. Thinking about.
    MS5: Kissing at the Renaissance Faire Book 3. Oh no Jen what is your brain doing.

Website / Twitter

practical experience, FTW polishmuse's Avatar
    Jeneral, I'm so glad to hear you rode out the storm okay with minimal damage!
    literally a person. also, a literal person. and a literary person. and a contrary person.

We did, thanks! I should probably add that we ended up sustaining no damage except for fallen tree branches. Living at the bottom of a hill in a subdivision has its advantages!
    MS0: Terrible ghost story. Trunked, to be mined later for decent descriptive phrases.
    MS3:
    MS4: Kissing at the Renaissance Faire Book 2, Electric Boogaloo. Thinking about.
    MS5: Kissing at the Renaissance Faire Book 3. Oh no Jen what is your brain doing.

Website / Twitter

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg Putputt's Avatar
    Jeneral, that sounds terrifying! I'm sorry you had to go through that!
    Kallithrix: "you're like pot noodle - you know it's dirty, unwholesome, trashy drunk food, but.... you just want it in your mouf"

Wee hippo has a message for everyone: DIIIIIE.

Wow, Jeneral, how frightening. Glad you weren't hit too hard.

My agent decided to send my mss. out to three additional publishers. Six of the original eight are still out for four months now. So, a total of nine pubs should, at some point in the next 72 years, be reading it.

Meanwhile, it's after Labor Day now and New York is supposed to pick up, right? Where's all the news? *grumbles*

Yikes, Jeneral!! So glad you're okay--nature can be terrifying!

I'm going to be out of this thread for a while (parted ways amicably with my agent last weekend) but I'll poke my head in here every so often to cheer all of you on!!!!!

I'm so glad you're safe, Jeneral. I'm sorry you had to deal with that

ChocolateChipCookie, yay for 3 more editors! That's 3 more potential homes for your shiny MS!

I too, will likely hear back from people within the next 72 years. We're out with a decent amount of editors right now, but two of them have changed houses since we subbed them, so who honestly knows what's going on there.

Website
    + Twitter

Sorry to hear that, hester. I hope you go on to bigger and better things!

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkbowvintage View Post
    I too, will likely hear back from people within the next 72 years.
    Wow, it takes 72 years now? Things have gotten a lot faster since the last time I was agented and went out on submission... Must be the Internet kicking things up to warp speed like that.

Hester, hope to see you back here soon. Sorry you went through that.

72 years sounds about right. We're at the 6 month mark for my MS. I've mostly written it off at this point, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. I haven't been able to write since Irma showed up on the radar a week & a half ago, but I scribbled some things down this morning so hopefully stuff is starting to shake loose. I'm reading an ARC of a fellow client of my agent and loving it. But of course, loving it makes me wish my book would sell too, and I KNOW comparison is the thief of joy or whatever, but ugh.

In conclusion, come ON, September.
    MS3:

Website / Twitter

Did I say 72 years? Oh, sorry. That was a typo. I meant 720.

LOL on 72 years! (And 720!)

Thanks so much for the support, guys--I'm currently querying a new project, so we'll see what happens!

Crossing fingers, hester! Congrats on the new editors, CC!

A big old nothing here, but honestly my personal life is too busy to think about it much lately (wha? real life?). I haven't even been writing, which makes me a little intolerable to be around. I'll have to get back to the page soon.
    literally a person. also, a literal person. and a literary person. and a contrary person.

practical experience, FTW MartinaMay's Avatar
    I'm glad to hear you made it through Irma safely, Jeneral. And that you're finding a way to write again. I imagine it'll take a long time to set things right again in Florida.

Congrats on the new editors, Cookie! Hopefully new blood will spark an offer.

Hester: *hugs* I'm sorry you're back in the trenches, but I'm glad to hear you have something ready to go out.

So, come on September! We need some good news here.
    YA & adult author

Yay, hester!

So I just saw a (near) final draft of my BOOK COVER. They took my suggestions and I really, really like how it turned out. It's so surreal seeing my name on there...like ME?!

Website
    + Twitter

When will you get to share your cover, Pink? I can't imagine how exciting it would be to see your name on a cover, to know it's your story inside.
    YA & adult author

Hopefully soon! I want to do a cover reveal.

Website
    + Twitter

Yikes, glad that nothing too bad happend during Irma, Jeneral. Not a fun experience, but maybe one you can add into a book at a later date? Personal experience would make that an intense read.

Good luck with the submissions Cookie! And good luck to you, hester, with querying your new project. I hope you both get some good news soon.

I'd love to see a cover reveal, pinkbowvintage! How does it feel seeing your name on that cover?
    Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
    Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
    Website Twitter

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg Putputt's Avatar
    Pinkbow - Aaah! So exciting! I can't wait to see your cover. Diversion Books has some particularly gorgeous covers.

I'm on Chapter 3 of my 3-chapters-submission MS and man, after the weekend break, the words are coming out reeeeeaaaaaaal slowwwwww. It's been like trying to squeeze water out of stone.
    Kallithrix: "you're like pot noodle - you know it's dirty, unwholesome, trashy drunk food, but.... you just want it in your mouf"

Wee hippo has a message for everyone: DIIIIIE.

practical experience, FTW
    Stumbled on this thread and reading through the updates felt so familiar!

I'm on sub since June, and so far, have only got very complimentary Rs. The agent is very supportive-- said that summer is slow, but September should pick up. Also that it's not my book, it's the industry. It's a good book, he said-- but just like everyone on this thread, finding it hard to keep calm--I keep thinking he's being nice to me, nothing else. I meditate each day, and am working on the next, so that helps

I wish there was a way to egg on the editors and get responses asap. I can feel myself grow older.

On the good side, the writing is going great, so that's something.
    Last edited by AcaciaNeem; 09-18-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Welcome, Acacia! Pull up a chair and we'll pass the pumpkin cookies and drink of your choice around.
    YA & adult author

Welcome Neem! Hopefully September will bring good news to all of us

Thanks, Martina. I'm thinking tequila shots. And I love pumpkin! (Not sure how the two will go together tho!

Quote Originally Posted by polishmuse View Post
    Welcome Neem! Hopefully September will bring good news to all of us
    Thanks, here's to good news for all of us!

Mine's been out since June, but apparently summer=*crickets* from editors. (I don't quite believe the last bit, sigh)

Page 207 of 223 FirstFirst ... 107132157182197201202203204205206207208209210211212213217 ... LastLast