The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
Oh jeez...where do I even start....
I don't know how much I can say, only that I'm rolling around bashing my head into things like R2. I got on the phone expecting it to be like a job interview, wondering if they would hate me, but they just jumped right in talking about their editorial visions and marketing strategies and release dates...
Nothing is a done deal yet because we're waiting on some other big 5 editors who still have it, but my agent is fairly sure we're going to auction this week (?!!!?!?!?!)

The support is really appreciated, guys. Thanks for venting with me through this
but I THINK I'M APPROACHING THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL
Holy God. Genre, how long you've been at this, first book ?????

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
Agent is going to call on Memorial day and discuss a batch of rejections, suggestions and revision responses. Okay, girding loins for this occasion.
New writing and pitching strategies vs "I really don't think we're going to get any further with this"? Glass more than half-full, I'd say. An arkady-style call would be better, but you're still in the game.

arkady 7

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IT'S OFFICIAL! We're going to auction! I have calls with more editors tomorrow morning and we should have a done deal from SOMEONE at the end of this week...

Tuesday- this is my first book, I started writing it in late 2015! Genre is epic fantasy.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Holy shit, arkady!!! That's amazing! You must be so ecstatic. They are fighting hard for your book.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
IT'S OFFICIAL! We're going to auction! I have calls with more editors tomorrow morning and we should have a done deal from SOMEONE at the end of this week...

Tuesday- this is my first book, I started writing it in late 2015! Genre is epic fantasy.

Whoa, did you hit the gold on that one! And a first book, no less. Huge congrats, hat tipping, thrown roses and bubbly.

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
:transport:saying hello. Nice to enter this part of the board with some good news floating around!

:chores back to edits...

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score

CRAZY FLAILING!! omg omg

On my end I'm heading back to my own epic Fantasy trilogy (last year's poor little subbed and unsuccessful book) which I've decided to - I hate to say "give up and self publish" but maybe more "reclaim and self publish". :flag:

I was writing new parts for a prequel this morning and realised how much I missed writing for myself! OMG, this is why I do it! After months of revisions and subbing or writing stupid books I don't care anything about, it's like I've come home.

This year's agent hasn't returned anything to me for three months, and I'm kind of over the whole process of trying to trade publish a book actually. The universe is trying to tell me something :transport:

I'll hang around to see how you guys go, though :)

Last edited:

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Nova Odyssey! Tell us a little of how you got here.

Arkady, holy smack, you've gone from "starting a novel" to auction in 6 months or less? This is the stuff of fantasies. What's the word count? I'm curious because you banged out something amazing in fairly short order.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arkady, you are living da dreaaaaam. Congratulations!!! Can't wait to hear who you end up with!

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score

Woo! Congratulations! Exciting stuff - looking forward to seeing how it pans out!

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nova! :welcome:

Tree, it's nice to see you writing for you and remembering why you loved it, but don't give up on traditional publishing--the more I read and watch everyone (and take my own journey) the more I see it can often take a few books to get there.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Arkady, holy smokes!! That's so incredibly awesome!!

Angeliz2k, yeah, your agent is with my agent, probably sitting on the beach and drinking mai tais while reading manuscripts. I have a friend that's at the conference and her pics are making me so jealous!

Tri, good luck with your agent call!

Hi, Nova! What do you write?

Tree, so glad you're back to writing. Don't let the business end get you down. It can indeed take a couple of books to get there. Or if you're me, the same book rewritten a few times. :)

Last edited:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Nova! :welcome:

Arkady, OMG!!!!! You must be over the moon!!! :Hail: Can't wait to hear how it turns out!!! :snoopy: :banana:

Tree, glad you've found your writing mojo! But I'm with everyone else--don't give up on traditional publishing, unless you're really sure self-pubbing is the way to go. It's definitely a decision that requires a hefty amount of thought and commitment. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
thanks guys! Gosh, an introduction? I write adult literary, with magical realism elements (comic book especially), and also historical. 2 books written in ten years, six years of sporadic (and sometimes intense) querying for an agent. I landed two offers from agents. One offer came from my first full request for book 2 and one of my first queries for that book from 2 YEARS ago (it took that long to make its way through slush....) and the offer I accepted came in 2 days after my (now agent!) heard I had an offer. So here I am. Revising before going on sub. And thus far, I'm very excited about the revisions. too excited. :evil so I'll mostly be checking in here and there to tell you how much I love, then hate my revisions, and cheering everyone else on. until it's my turn for the next phase... yikes.

and now, arkady 7 .... :popcorn:

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score

HOLY MOLY!!!!!! MAJOR Congrats Arkady!!!! Can't wait to see the deal announcement soon (I hope). I hope you are taking time to breathe :)

Welcome, Nova! Good luck revising!!

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats arkady 7!!!!!! That is fantastic news! Can't wait to hear who you sign with. 🎉

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Nova!!! So glad to see you here! :welcome:

Arkady - omg, you're living the dream! Good luck and enjoy every moment of this crazy ride and keep us posted!

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score

You started writing in late 2015, an epic fantasy at that, and already have a possible deal? You must write lightning fast. I mean thunder and lightning.

Congrats!