The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 185 123456711265176101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Shiny new cover! AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar

The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Welcome to volume two of the deeper fiery pit! This thread is more or less for those of us with or without agents, on sub, and wondering if only one spezna is really enough to get us through.

Here's the link to the original Next Circle thread, where the spezna is explained. There will be a test.

Not really. I'm just evil.

Pull up a chair. There are plenty of speznas to go around.

*pulls up a chair*

*takes a spezna*

*looks around*

This new thread is all shiny and clean, yet to be doused in the tears of frustrated sub-ers. How peculiar!

practical experience, FTW Lonegungrrly's Avatar
    Oooh this is all shiny and new! *guzzles spenza*
    Forever drowning in WIPs
    - Blog - Twitter - Nano - YouTube -

practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Just think, you guys - years from now, when this thread is 800 pages long, shiny new baby writers on sub are going to start looking at this thread from the very beginning and they're going to see us on this page, but we're going to have our book covers in our signatures - covers of books they've read and adored and they're going to go, oooh look, SHE was once in submission hell too! And so was he!! I love their books! Oh, I feel so much better!!!
    BLOOD WATER PAINT, spring 2018, Dutton Young Readers

practical experience, FTW MartinaMay's Avatar
    What a nice thought, Joy! I love it. Pass me some spenza, and I'll toast the end of week two. 5 fulls, 3 pitch passes, 1 no response (which hopefully doesn't mean no).
    Last edited by MartinaMay; 05-16-2015 at 05:49 AM.
    YA & adult author

14 weeks on sub. 1 pass. 12 weeks of silence. Lots of confusion.
    The Effigies Series (YA Superhero Fantasy/Simon Pulse)
    FATE OF FLAMES (Book #1) coming November 22, 2016
    Add on: Goodreads

Purchase Links and Synopsis

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
    *Now available.*
    Add on: Goodreads
    Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

My twitter is real.

As is my website!

practical experience, FTW Moon Daughter's Avatar
    I hope to one day be an avid contributor to these parts of the board by summer. Just need to finish my damn ms. Gah!
    YA Paranormal 70k (still plugging away)
    YA Thriller 86,000 (trunked)

*ducks in*

What is spenza? Can I have some?

*ducks out*
    From SOULLESS:
    He slides out of the booth and you’re thinking I’m sorry I don’t know what came over me and he pauses then, just for a moment he pauses and your heart freezes seizes in your chest because he’s smiling watching your boys licking his lips your precious children and in that moment, you see
    And you know—

But I didn’t.

/kk's blog/

kkbe, It's a drink, but the story behind it is too good to miss. I'm on my phone now but I'll copy the posts later today.

practical experience, FTW Bryan Methods's Avatar
    One spezna is NEVER enough!
    The Thief's Apprentice, published by Lerner Books on October 1st!

Represented by Transatlantic Literary Agency. Please come see me at bryanmethods.com!

Twitter: Methodsism
    Facebook: Bryanmethods
    Youtube: Methods in his Madness

The Spezna

Found the summary post!

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Blair View Post
    Spezna!

I think we decided it was a chocolate liqueur and peppered vodka, didn't we, Lily? It was named in honour of a hunky former Russian spetsnaz ( Russian Special Forces) who had moved to Canada and was working installing hardwood floors, and showed up to do mine. He was bald, handsome, and spoke very little English, but was easy to laugh and very, very charming. He was built like Mr. Universe and kept taking his shirt off whenever he got hot.

Needless to say, I had to run off to fan myself in the AW water cooler from time to time and shared stories of some of the very funny things he was saying and doing.

When I found out he had been a spetsnaz, (I had no idea how to spell it so we stuck with my phonetic spelling on AW) I asked him if he had ever killed anyone and he said: "Me kill? Why kill when you can punch? But anybody hurt you, lady, I kill them." Then he danced on the balls of his feet around my living room, punching and jabbing, half-naked of course: I later found out he'd been a semi-pro boxer.

So we celebrate Slava (who has since become a character in my fourth book, Umbrella Man: he is an intelligence agent sent to Cuba with news of an impending assassination attempt on Raul Castro) by offering speznas . Because, after all, who couldn't use a hot Russian, err, drink?

practical experience, FTW diana86's Avatar
    After finding out my book is being taken to acquisitions two weeks ago, the meeting keeps getting pushed back, and the other few editors who claim they're interested keep waiting for someone else to be the first to pull the trigger. This whole process is just so tiresome. I have an awful feeling I got my hopes up *again* for nothing.

practical experience, FTW Lonegungrrly's Avatar
    Well now I officially love Spenzas even more!

Diana - that's so frustrating hang in there. Things can change all at once in this industry after months of waiting, so you never know
    Forever drowning in WIPs
    - Blog - Twitter - Nano - YouTube -

Yeah, don't let it get you down! You only need to find one editor who loves it, and the acquisitions meeting WILL happen at some point!

Represented by Transatlantic Literary Agency. Please come see me at bryanmethods.com!

for Diana. That part of the whole thing has got to be brutal. So close!!! Fingers crossed for you!

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid Fuchsia Groan's Avatar
    Hang in there, Diana. If there's an offer, everything will start moving faster, trust me!
    YA thriller The K1ller in M3, out now from D1sn3y-Hyper1on

"Taut storytelling and believable characters make this a standout mystery" — Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Website | Twitter | Goodreads

practical experience, FTW Funaek's Avatar
    Aw Joy I love that thought!

And I feel your pain Diana! Hope it starts moving (in a good way) soon!

Spezna!

I think we decided it was a chocolate liqueur and peppered vodka, didn't we, Lily? It was named in honour of a hunky former Russian spetsnaz ( Russian Special Forces) who had moved to Canada and was working installing hardwood floors, and showed up to do mine. He was bald, handsome, and spoke very little English, but was easy to laugh and very, very charming. He was built like Mr. Universe and kept taking his shirt off whenever he got hot.

Needless to say, I had to run off to fan myself in the AW water cooler from time to time and shared stories of some of the very funny things he was saying and doing.

When I found out he had been a spetsnaz, (I had no idea how to spell it so we stuck with my phonetic spelling on AW) I asked him if he had ever killed anyone and he said: "Me kill? Why kill when you can punch? But anybody hurt you, lady, I kill them." Then he danced on the balls of his feet around my living room, punching and jabbing, half-naked of course: I later found out he'd been a semi-pro boxer.

So we celebrate Slava (who has since become a character in my fourth book, Umbrella Man: he is an intelligence agent sent to Cuba with news of an impending assassination attempt on Raul Castro) by offering speznas . Because, after all, who couldn't use a hot Russian, err, drink?

I smile every time I read this.
    Last edited by MartinaMay; 05-19-2015 at 03:44 AM.
    YA & adult author

practical experience, FTW diana86's Avatar
    Nope. Reject. And nowhere left to go. So it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by diana86 View Post
    Nope. Reject. And nowhere left to go. So it's over.
    sosososososososo sorry.

Really sad to hear that, but it's absolutely not over. You've come this far, right? Tweak and resubmit, or work on something new that gets your agent excited - or both!

(((((Hugs)))))

wallow for 24 hours and then start something new . Prove 'em wrong!

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid Fuchsia Groan's Avatar
    Urgh, Diana, I'm so sorry to hear that! It SUCKS.

But you came so, so close, and that means something. Like Lily said, prove 'em wrong. It's never over as long as you're writing new stuff.

Did you get consistent feedback on the book? Did it help at all? Do you think the book itself was the problem, or the market's lack of space for it?
    Last edited by Fuchsia Groan; 05-21-2015 at 01:43 AM.
    YA thriller The K1ller in M3, out now from D1sn3y-Hyper1on

"Taut storytelling and believable characters make this a standout mystery" — Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Website | Twitter | Goodreads

So sorry, Diana.
    YA & adult author

Quote Originally Posted by Calla Lily View Post
    kkbe, It's a drink, but the story behind it is too good to miss. I'm on my phone now but I'll copy the posts later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calla Lily View Post
    Found the summary post!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinaMay View Post
    Spezna!

I smile every time I read this.
    My question still stands: Can I have some? *blush*
    From SOULLESS:
    He slides out of the booth and you’re thinking I’m sorry I don’t know what came over me and he pauses then, just for a moment he pauses and your heart freezes seizes in your chest because he’s smiling watching your boys licking his lips your precious children and in that moment, you see
    And you know—

But I didn’t.

/kk's blog/

Page 1 of 185 123456711265176101 ... LastLast