Hey, has anyone heard of publish15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanny86

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Atlanta and there usually aren't any writer's conventions around here but I recently heard of publish 15 on the radio. It is a publishing convention coming in June, between the 13th and 14th. I would like to know if anyone else has heard of it or gone to one of them and your opinion on this or other publishing conventions.
I am considering going but they are several admission levels ranging from $10-$100 depending on if you are pitching to an agent or just taking some 'how to' classes. If someone has been to one of their conventions could you chime in on which registration type has the best value. Thanks.:)

http://www.publish15.com/registration

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've not heard of this particular convention, but have been to many and have spoken at a good few now.

Some are great: some are awful. If you go, go along with the view that the best that will happen is you'll make a few new friends and return home feeling energised and more enthusiastic about your writing than you were before.

Do not expect to find yourself an agent while at the convention.

Pitch sessions rarely result in anything more than an invitation to query the agent. And you can query agents without pitching to them, so it's not a big deal. It won't get you any sort of special consideration.

I'm not very impressed with some of the speakers who are going to this event. The founder of Morgan James Publishing, an out-and-out vanity press. Another speaker was first published by Titan, another vanity press, who then founded his own publishing house which charges writers for publication. They do have some reputable agents attending: but they are outnumbered by speakers who offer paid-for services and seem to have little experience of actually working in publishing, or of publishing successful books.

I wouldn't bother.

emanny86

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks 'Old Hack'. I imagine nobody has heard of this convention because nobody else replied. Still your comments on conventions and assessment of the speakers was especially helpful. I might do the $10 general admission, just to get a feel of things but I don't have big hopes for it, just trying to get a feel of things. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.