And the blues are a little bluer today....

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
RIP BB King
It seemed like he'd go on forever ... and B.B. King was working right up until the end. It's what he loved to do: playing music ... and fishing. Even late in life, living with diabetes, he spent about half the year on the road. King died Thursday night at home in Las Vegas. He was 89 years old.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
In 2000, I saw B. B. King (and Buddy Guy!) in concert. He had just turned 75 and he was electrifying. I'm sad.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pretty good appreciation of Riley B. King in Rolling Stone. :Thumbs:

B.B. King, the larger-than-life guitarist and singer who helped popularize electric blues and brought it to audiences for more than six decades, died Thursday in Las Vegas. He was 89. King, who was diagnosed with diabetes nearly 30 years ago, was hospitalized last month due to dehydration. Last October, he was forced to cancel eight tour dates for dehydration and exhaustion. His attorney, Brent Bryson, confirmed his death to the Associated Press.

"He is without a doubt the most important artist the blues has ever produced," Eric Clapton wrote in his 2008 biography, "and the most humble and genuine man you would ever wish to meet. In terms of scale or stature, I believe that if Robert Johnson was reincarnated, he is probably B.B. King."
King didn't do anything small; his excesses included food, women, (he claimed to have fathered 15 children by 15 different partners) and gambling (he moved to Las Vegas in 1975). His sound was also big: Speaking about "When Love Comes to Town," U2's 1988 duet with King, Bono recalled, "I gave it my absolute everything I had in that howl at the start of the song. And then B.B. King opened up his mouth and I felt like a girl. We had learned and absorbed, but the more we tried to be like B.B., the less convincing we were."

He was born Riley B. King in Itta Bena, Mississippi, on September 16th, 1925. His young parents divorced when he was five and his mother died when he was nine, leaving him to be raised by his maternal grandmother. King dropped out of school in tenth grade (though he vigorously studied math and languages until late in his life) and earned a living picking cotton for a penny a pound and singing gospel songs on a local street corner. He married at 17. "I guess I was looking for love, because I never had anybody I believed truly loved me," he told Rolling Stone in 1998. It was the first of two failed marriages. "Since my early childhood, I had a problem trying to open up. Please open me up. Look inside! 'Cause I can't. I don't know how to."

Said King, "Blues purists never cared for me. I don't worry about it. I think if it this way: When I made 'Three O' Clock Blues', they were not there. The people out there made the tune. And blues purists just wrote about it. The people is who I'm trying to satisfy."

B.B. King is gone. Ben E. King split a few weeks ago and Percy Sledge before him. And there's nobody coming up behind them.

What was that Steely Dan said about hard times befallen soul survivors?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIP to a true legend

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
its truly a sad day for music. both, in the loss of a legend but also in the realization that we will be left to the whims of people like miley cirus, ariana grande,and meghan trenor to show following genorations what music really is and can be.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
its truly a sad day for music. both, in the loss of a legend but also in the realization that we will be left to the whims of people like miley cirus, ariana grande,and meghan trenor to show following genorations what music really is and can be.

Singers of light fluffy dance-pop either end up slowing down to focus more on the standard styles as they age or they disappear.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
disappear!disappear!disappear! my fingers are crossed, but can you tell im rooting for disappear?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Maybe they'll grow up and mature mentally and artistically? Pipe dream, I know...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sad. But he did live to be almost 90, and was an active and creative musical genius just about to the end. We mourn. but we should also celebrate a great talent who leaves a great legacy.

And, cynical old me, I'm convinced that there will be younger guitarists to pick up the thread that goes from Robert Johnson through B.B. King to this day. We lost one of the most promising of those, very young, in the accidental death a few years ago of Stevie Ray Vaughan. If there's a lesson to be learned it's that great jazz is still around, with a lot of younger musicians working at it, despite the loss of Coltrane, Parker, Armstrong, Evans, Ellington, Basie, Monk, etc. It might not be played on the pop music stations, but it's still there, and findable.

People didn't stop singing when Cole and Sinatra and Fitzgerald passed, and if you brush away the veneer of utter dreck, you can still find those fine and worthy vocalists.

caw

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I named my dog after him :) That BB is right here and says Hi.

King used to pop up randomly in Memphis when I lived outside of there. I was too young to be in those Beale St bars, but they'd always mention his surprise appearances on the radio the day after and play some of his music :) We did eat at many of the same ribs places, lol, just never at the same time.

RIP.