Too Boring?

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently plotting out my first script, a gay romcom. Looking at other romcoms, I am worried that there isn't enough driving force in it and wanted your opinions. The basic plot is as follows:

Jesse, a bisexual playboy, and Isaac, a shy closeted guy, don't know each other, but when their mutual friend finds out Isaac has not ride home from school, she gets Jesse to take him. This sets them off on a cross country trip where Isaac eventually comes to terms with his sexuality and Jesse learns that his family's lack of romantic success doesn't mean he is destined for the same fate.

There is no crazy drug dealers chasing them or murders to solve or amnesia to keep them apart, just their own hubris. It's just a simple story of self-discovery and falling in love. Is that too boring for a movie?

Medea

advesperascit
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds fine to me. Not all engaging conflicts rise out of murder plots and the like.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
Yes and no. The way you've presented it, it sounds like a nice coming-of-age romance, but it doesn't sound like a comedy. Two people on a road trip is not going to bring the funny unless there are lot of wacky characters and situations along the way, and it helps if there's some overarching plot driving that (think "Dumb and Dumber"--not the same concept at all, but you get the idea).

No, there doesn't have to be murder or drugs anything, and it doesn't have to be over the top, especially if this is supposed to be more of an understated comedy. (There's this movie called "Away We Go," which I haven't seen, but I recall it had a similar feel).

But think about what's motivating them. What do they want most? It could be as simple as really wanting to get home in time for a specific event, like a wedding or funeral. This will be the force that will move the plot forward. And how are those wants going to get them into, and out of, funny situations along the way?

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently plotting out my first script, a gay romcom. Looking at other romcoms, I am worried that there isn't enough driving force in it and wanted your opinions. The basic plot is as follows:

Jesse, a bisexual playboy, and Isaac, a shy closeted guy, don't know each other, but when their mutual friend finds out Isaac has not ride home from school, she gets Jesse to take him. This sets them off on a cross country trip where Isaac eventually comes to terms with his sexuality and Jesse learns that his family's lack of romantic success doesn't mean he is destined for the same fate.

There is no crazy drug dealers chasing them or murders to solve or amnesia to keep them apart, just their own hubris. It's just a simple story of self-discovery and falling in love. Is that too boring for a movie?

The point about any romantic comedy comes down the big issue -- what do the main characters want and what do they need? They need to be together -- but they want something else -- they want the wrong thing and because they want the wrong thing (not to be hurt, security, social acceptance, the wrong person -- whatever) -- that wrong thing is going to keep them apart until whoever-it-is finally realizes that they've been wanting the wrong thing and they've got a big choice to make -- they really, really "want" this thing -- whatever it is. But it's not what they need. They need this other thing -- which is embodied in this other person.

And so they've got to let go of this thing that they want in order to have what they really need. They've got to let go security. Let go of the past. Let go of the approval of other people. Let go of the person that they thought they always wanted. They've got to let of of that really, really, really important thing that they've always wanted in order to take hold of that thing that they really need.

And the external action of the story has to dramatic (even in a romantic comedy) what the "want" is and what the "need" is so that we get to understand what that dramatic choice is.

NMS

matthew86

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Yep, boooring. Doesn't it look like a Brokeback Mountain romantic comedy version to you?

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's totally in the execution. It sounds low stakes (unlike, say, if they had to save the world), but that can still be very compelling. The way to do that is make the reader/viewer understand exactly how important those stakes are to the characters.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
How about 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles'? All that guy wanted was to get home for Thanksgiving? Not even a romance, but it was a hit in it's day.
The main obstacle he faced was the obnoxious guy travelling with him, and the vagaries of putting together an itinerary that would see him home in time.

My favourite rom-com 'My Best Friend's Wedding': the stated goal is for her to be a bridesmaid at the wedding of her best friend to another woman. Her goal is to break up the happy couple so she can win the affections of her best friend. Neither is an earthshattering ambition, but they make for a great comedy.

So, make your characters opposites in some way - a relevant way. Little, personal stuff, that, pitted against each other, make for comedy. Have them run into wacky people - the kind of characters you wouldn't want to spend a whole movie with, but who make for a funny scene or two, or strange obstacles - the detour that makes things worse (or reveals something about a character), the local event that brings them closer together, etc.

But, as others have said better, it's about their wants and needs. Find them, then manipulate them to hold them apart, drive them crazy, then push them together.

MagnusRex

Registered
Reaction score
Some good advice here already.

I'd like to add that regardless of story, it all comes down to execution. I.e., every story has already been told ad nauseum, so the only way forward is to tell your story in the most unique and engaging way as possible.

Since this is a relationship story, the best way to be unique & engaging might be to focus on dialogue. Make it unique, funny, engaging, truthful, original.

Of course, we should do this with all scripts (and relationship based stories can be primarily visual instead of simply depending on dialogue) it just seems yours might hinge on the success of dialogue more than other genres. Just a suggestion.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
Thank you, frimble! It doesn't have to be all Michael Bay explosion-fest to be interesting. Most of the movies in my DVD collection have very simple premises. I find those are the best and most honest. Don't try too hard to make it all bang-boom exciting. Give your characters goals, put a buttload of annoying crap in between them and their goals and you'll be fine! ;)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> I'm currently plotting out my first script, a gay romcom.

What you have described is not a romcom, but a roadtrip (aka 'road movie') where the Hero go through a physical trip to that parallels his/her mental ordeal, only to end up where s/he have started with a better comprehension of him/herself.

Checkout Sideways ( clicky ) as the sort of scenario that most resemble what you are trying to achieve.

Hope this helps.

-cb

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that has replied. I have already come to terms with how I am viewing my story and don't really need any more replies. You were all very helpful.