RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Parts of it look good. I'm not sure how I feel about the nervous unsure Supergirl. The portrayal of her by Laura Vandervoot on Smallville as strong and self-assured was very good. This seems to be dipping back into the 60s version where she was always in Superman's shadow. I'm hoping that doesn't last.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It looks better than I expected, with a much better cast (other than Supergirl herself. I'm not familiar with the actress, so I'll reserve expectations.)

Not quite sure about Supes handing over his baby blanket for her to use as a cape, but we'll see.

I kind of wish Brandon Routh wasn't attached to Arrow as Atom; it would be nice to see him playing Supes on occasion - especially with Dean Cain also in the cast. I love cameo supermen!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It looks cute. I'll give it a try

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
For me, there was never any doubt that I was going to watch this. "Supergirl" was my first comic book, so a "Supergirl" TV series is a dream come true for me. Actually, a "Supergirl" movie would have been a dream come true. I never thought we'd get a "Supergirl" TV series (that one rumor centered on Laura Vandervoort, stated as fact by her grandfather in an interview, shortly after she joined "Smallville" notwithstading).

matthew86

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Look forward to see the first episode of it. And the Supergirl are played by Melissa Benoist.Yay, excited! Love her since "Glee".

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hate this so much even thinking about it.

Never was a fan of Supergirl in the comics. Never wanted to see Supergirl the movie. Have no interest in seeing Supergirl the TV show. Don't care about Superboy, Supergirl, Super Krypto, Super Streaky, Super Horse, Super Grandpa, Super Republican or Superduperman.

Constantine died for this crap? Pfffffft! :wag:

There's Superman and that's all. The rest of the family tree is full of sap. :gaah

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
For me, there was never any doubt that I was going to watch this. "Supergirl" was my first comic book, so a "Supergirl" TV series is a dream come true for me. Actually, a "Supergirl" movie would have been a dream come true. I never thought we'd get a "Supergirl" TV series (that one rumor centered on Laura Vandervoort, stated as fact by her grandfather in an interview, shortly after she joined "Smallville" notwithstading).

There was a Supergirl movie. If you value your enjoyment of the character, do not look for it. It was awful.

I have hopes for the series.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Parts of it look good. I'm not sure how I feel about the nervous unsure Supergirl. The portrayal of her by Laura Vandervoot on Smallville as strong and self-assured was very good. This seems to be dipping back into the 60s version where she was always in Superman's shadow. I'm hoping that doesn't last.

Richard, if Superman exists in this universe, then she will always be in his shadow. He is THE superhero. Period. The archetype. The Last Son of Kryton (except, you know, Zod, and his flunkies, the robot menance Brainiac, his older cousin, the entire city of Kandor, etc.) outshines everybody. Except, maybe, Batman, that gets settled next year.

I think Supergirl is a great hero. One of the finest. But, of her deal is living under her cousin's shadow (until her tragic death...didn't she die in Crisis of Infinite Earths along with the Flash?). Still it would be nice to see her shine, and as I understand it, the have a guy to do Supes, but we'll only see him from the back (you know like the old Charlie's Angels TV show) and then only rarely.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I think Supergirl is a great hero. One of the finest. But, of her deal is living under her cousin's shadow (until her tragic death...didn't she die in Crisis of Infinite Earths along with the Flash?). Still it would be nice to see her shine, and as I understand it, the have a guy to do Supes, but we'll only see him from the back (you know like the old Charlie's Angels TV show) and then only rarely.

She did. Oh, she did. That was such a brilliant series; it accomplished so much (including retconning Wonder Woman). Way before all the other crises in the DC universe.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
There was a Supergir movie. If you value your enjoyment of the character, do not look for it. It was awful.

Oh, I'm completely aware of it. I bought the 2-disc limited edition at Electronic Boutique years ago. It contains a second disc with a previously forgotten extended version of the film (mixed in mono), found in a London film vault in a canister marked "Do Not Use".

It's a campy film, but I enjoy it, and I love Helen Slater's performance.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't like the whole Devil Wears Prada feel of it. I swear, I thought I was watching the Black Widow SNL parody for a second.

i will say this, JAMES Olsen looks pretty cool.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I love Melissa Benoist. I had the opportunity to see her at a musical theatre showcase a few years back (Kerrigan-Lowdermilk's West Coast debut), and I think that she's just excellent.

I heard about this through Tumblr, so I got to hear their list of objections (no obvious WoC, etc.), but I'm pretty excited. I'm not a big superhero fan (excepting Agents of SHIELD, and The Avengers side of the MCU [don't really get the talking tree and raccoon; never got into X-Men]), but I'm excited for this.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't like the whole Devil Wears Prada feel of it. I swear, I thought I was watching the Black Widow SNL parody for a second.

i will say this, JAMES Olsen looks pretty cool.

The Black Widow sketch was all I thought of, too.

I mean, female characters aren't allowed to go down the middle--they have to be a badass or a flighty girly girl. I like the idea of a "girly" superhero. But at the same time, this trailer didn't totally sell it. Does she have to work at a fashion magazine instead of a newspaper or even a tech start up? Does the trailer have to harp so much on the dating and the daily struggles and the "can she have it all?" attitude ?

Hopefully it's just an unevenly cut trailer. But whoever chose that terrible rom-com background music needs to be banned from making any more decisions.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I assumed they chose a fashion mag to facilitate the "let's make a costume!" montage.

What's up with the "S" no longer standing for "Super?" In the movie, Supes said it was a symbol of peace for Kryptonians, and now Kara says it's her family crest.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I assumed they chose a fashion mag to facilitate the "let's make a costume!" montage.

What's up with the "S" no longer standing for "Super?" In the movie, Supes said it was a symbol of peace for Kryptonians, and now Kara says it's her family crest.

It's both!

Indubitably

I Followed the Hair Loss Ads
Registered
Reaction score
I am so excited for this! I really like that Supergirl is so ordinary. It makes you root for her more when she has to fight. Like Spiderman without the nerdiness, lol. She's so cheerful despite her awkwardness, it's charming. It looks like there'll be fun banter with her friend as well.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I think this looks adorable. She might be working in a fashion magazine, but she's the awkward assistant to the head honcho, not the girl sitting at the table doing her nails. I did take away a bit of confusion that it showed her origin, standing with her parents leaving Krypton, and she's what, ten? But Supes left, shipped away as a baby... they arrive on Earth and yet she's still younger than him? Maybe one of the stronger nerds can define that for me.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I think this looks adorable. She might be working in a fashion magazine, but she's the awkward assistant to the head honcho, not the girl sitting at the table doing her nails. I did take away a bit of confusion that it showed her origin, standing with her parents leaving Krypton, and she's what, ten? But Supes left, shipped away as a baby... they arrive on Earth and yet she's still younger than him? Maybe one of the stronger nerds can define that for me.

Canonically, a portion of Krypton (Argo City) survived as an isolated chunk of rock with a city on it. Explanations for this have varied but usually depended on Supergirl's father Zor-El (Jor-El's brother). Supergirl grew up there to teenage then the city started to fail so Zor-El and his wife Alura send their daughter Kara to Earth where she as a teenager meets her grown up cousin Superman.

She is given the name Linda Lee (note the LL) and is eventually adopted by the Danvers family so her full Secret ID is Linda Lee Danvers.

Smallville variant: Kara is actually several years older than Kal-El, but when her ship reached Earth it sank underwater and put her in suspended animation. So when she is released years later the two of them are roughly equal in age, but she grew up on Krypton.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm optimistic about it: looks like fun popcorn viewing, nothing too serious, but I'm digging the female friendships and James Olsen.

Glad to see some positive views of it here too, most of the stuff I've seen on Twitter has been negative due to the girliness/SNL trailer feel of it... but it suits Supergirl a lot more than it ever would Black Widow.