Supergirl (CBS)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Which is funny and makes sense, since I thought I read that the Green Arrow character was originally/historically made (way back in the day) to become another Batman-like character after Batman was such a success. He had an Arrowcave, an Arrowcar, a Robin-ish sidekick (Speedy) and stuff like that.

Interesting...

And it makes sense. In the CW universe, I would find the addition of Batman redundant given all they've done with Oliver, especially after the Ra's al Ghul storyline.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I think the New 52 Supergirl was discontinued, only months before the show launched. Which makes me wonder: They must have known at the time that a show was in production, right? Cancelling a title just before a show guarantees to spark some interest... then again, I didn't follow the New 52 all the way through. Maybe they had already turned that Supergirl into the dark and gritty DC house style tale the our Supergirl just isn't. Maybe they didn't want to disappoint.

Yeah, the last issue was sometime around March or April of last year, I think? I didn't keep up with it because a lot of New 52 story lines were kind of dumb. I'm glad they rebooted (again) with Rebirth. It seems to be getting DC publishing back on track.

bunny-gypsy said:
Which is funny and makes sense, since I thought I read that the Green Arrow character was originally/historically made (way back in the day) to become another Batman-like character after Batman was such a success. He had an Arrowcave, an Arrowcar, a Robin-ish sidekick (Speedy) and stuff like that.

GA was intentionally a rip-off of Batman when the character was created. Just like Quicksilver was a blatant rip off of The Flash and Deadpool was an even more blatant rip-off of Deathstroke.

It seems like the TV Arrowverse has made GA even more Batmany than the comics have in recent years but I never was a GA fan, so I don't know enough about the current comics to be able to judge. His portrayal in the TV show does feel like he's "Oliver Wayne," though. But, I like that show so I'm fine with it.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
The season 2 premiere was better than nearly every episode of season 1 (except for "World's Finest"). I always felt the writing while it was on CBS was weak and a bit too hokey and predictable. I was hoping that on the CW that the writing would be stronger, given that they'd be writing for a slightly different audience.

I hope the rest of the season is, overall, as strong as tonight's premiere.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The season 2 premiere was better than nearly every episode of season 1 (except for "World's Finest"). I always felt the writing while it was on CBS was weak and a bit too hokey and predictable. I was hoping that on the CW that the writing would be stronger, given that they'd be writing for a slightly different audience.

I hope the rest of the season is, overall, as strong as tonight's premiere.

It sets up some interesting potential. The guy playing Superman does a good job of giving us a classic Superman / Clark Kent. They seem to be sidelining Jimmy Olsen, which is a bit of a bummer since this is the best version I've ever seen.

According to some reviewers, the guy in the capsule is Mon-El which I'm cool with especially since they hinted at the Legion last season.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the episode. I thought Tyler Hoechlin did a great job as Superman.

I was very surprised about Kara and James breaking it off. I wasn't expecting that. I figured, having moved to the CW, there would be an increase in relationship drama, but I'm not sure what this change means. Typically, they drag out the breakups.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
The James thing didn't surprise me too much because if you put them together right away, either one of them has to screw up or one has to die or you lose the drama of relationships. TV relationships tend to become boring after the happily ever after part.

I thought Tyler Hoechlin did a great job, although I didn't realize who he was until after I saw him on screen.

I can't stand the way his cape looks though.

Is he going to be a new regular on the show? I liked him on it a lot, but I don't want this to become a Superman and Supergirl show.

Grayson Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Parts of it look good. I'm not sure how I feel about the nervous unsure Supergirl. The portrayal of her by Laura Vandervoot on Smallville as strong and self-assured was very good. This seems to be dipping back into the 60s version where she was always in Superman's shadow. I'm hoping that doesn't last.

I totally agree. It seems like the new Supergirl has sort of a Peter Parker complex, except without the fun and witty superhero side. Which basically leaves us an awkward person with glasses. I honestly like the confident Supergirl better. I do enjoy the show, though.

The Emissary

Registered
Reaction score
Thought this was a solid episode. Having Superman there, imo, was a breath of fresh air, given Snyder's questionable, divisive portrayal of him in the movies. I watched a little bit of the first season, could NEVER get into, but I did enjoy the way Supergirl was written too. It feels slightly different already from last season, which is a good thing.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
It wasn't until the next day that I realized what they've actually done there: For maybe the first time ever, Superman was based on Supergirl instead of vice versa. (Not entirely, of course - there's a lot of Christopher Reeve in it, too.) They've created a Superman (and a Clark) that fits this world and just is as cheerfully sincere as she is. I think that works just great.

And he firmly stays in her shadow - that's good, too. It's still her show. I hope it remains that way now that he's decided to stick around. Personally, I could have done with the occasional cameo rather than a regular role. But I'm game. I hope the next couple of episodes will bring the team back in focus. It's okay to be starstruck by Superman for an episode, and I loved all the nods to the Reeves era, but let's not forget there's a whole ensemble to focus on.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Took me a while to get into this show, mostly because much of the dialogue is terrible. (Cat Grant in particular is badly written.) But I like their version of J'onn J'onzz, and the show's got heart.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It sets up some interesting potential. The guy playing Superman does a good job of giving us a classic Superman / Clark Kent. They seem to be sidelining Jimmy Olsen, which is a bit of a bummer since this is the best version I've ever seen.

According to some reviewers, the guy in the capsule is Mon-El which I'm cool with especially since they hinted at the Legion last season.

If you check out the IMDB credits, that is Mon-El.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I love, love, love this Superman / Clark Kent.

TV relationships tend to become boring after the happily ever after part.

So far as I can tell, that is a failure of imagination on the part of the writers.

It was especially frustrating in the old "Lois and Clark" TV show. Ma and Pa Kent were written as an amazing couple, funny and smart and interesting and incredibly in love, working brilliantly together as a team. But then Lois and Clark got married and it was all ... Gee, we cannot possibly think of any way to write a happy couple after they are married, oh well.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I love, love, love this Superman / Clark Kent.

So far as I can tell, that is a failure of imagination on the part of the writers.

It was especially frustrating in the old "Lois and Clark" TV show. Ma and Pa Kent were written as an amazing couple, funny and smart and interesting and incredibly in love, working brilliantly together as a team. But then Lois and Clark got married and it was all ... Gee, we cannot possibly think of any way to write a happy couple after they are married, oh well.

I do really love this Superman.

I get what you're saying, but it's usually the conflict and tension that creates the drama. See Moonlighting. The moment the main characters got together, the sexual tension was gone.

See also almost every soap opera.

By keeping Kara single, it allows her to try other relationships, get her heart broken, etc.

A couple of things about the last episode.

I kinda get why her new boss didn't want to use her as a reporter. She didn't take journalism in college or work the beat. She didn't write on her own some amazing article. It's just, use me as a reporter, Kat said so.

Of course, they made him look like a dick.

Also, did anyone notice that Kat started to use Kara's correct name?

Which sucks. My foster kids have an older sister. Her name is Kara. Everyone pronounced it more like Karen. With care at the beginning, but she asked if we could use the other way. I teased her that I'd just call her Kyra. (She loves Supergirl, so she got it and laughed.) Now I'll just sound silly.(er)

Also, Alex. It was cool to see her fighting along side her sister, and I can buy that the super arm gives her enough punch to hurt the bad guy, but if that dude can punch hard enough to knock both Superman and Supergirl on their superasses, then a punch to the head should have crushed Alex's skull.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
The first two episodes of season two were stronger than the entirety of season 1, imo.

I was hoping that the writing would significantly improve with the switch to the CW, given that they're writing for a slightly different audience. Seems so far like it has. I hope the trend continues throughout the season.

Only thing that sucks is that there will be much less Cat Grant this season. She was my favorite character.

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished watching tonight's episode. Is it just me, or does anyone else think they might be setting up a romance between Alex and Maggie?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Just finished watching tonight's episode. Is it just me, or does anyone else think they might be setting up a romance between Alex and Maggie?

I'd put money on it.

Excellent ep. I don't think switching to the CW has hurt the show at all!

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
There's a lot of Fan Squee in this episode.

Lynda Carter as the president.

You should see my other jet.
Maggie Sawyer is here. Can Batwoman be far behind?
Ms. Martian showing up at the end.

If Mon-El's name is really Mon-El, why does he have same surname as the Kryptonian House of El

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
One concren I have, a very small one, is about continuity. Did the writers stay with the show, or are they still with CBS? Like I said, not a biggie.

I'm actually glad that Cat and Jimmy both are being stepped back. One intriguing thought I had from the Myriad story arc last season was how Supergirl establishes herself apart from Superman. Cat Grant and Jimmy (Sorry, JAMES!) Olsen both helped her become accepting of what (and who) she is.

Now Supergirl has to LIVE what they gave her.

Another side note: A small part of me wishes the writers had stuck with Supergirl's pod being stuck in a tight orbit around the Sun, such that she's actually MORE powerful than Superman. Only she doesn't know it yet. I suppose there's still a Phantom Zone macguffin that could enable that.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
This is a long shot, but ...

We've just met Miss Martian, and we might be getting a Kid Flash later on. Could the CW be setting up a live-action Young Justice show?

If they put it on Fridays after Vampire Diaries goes off, that would give them a DC superhero show every day of the week.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I've been really enjoying this new season! Lots of fun choices and interesting character changes, and it's keeping that upbeat, joyful tone I love about Supergirl.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
We've just met Miss Martian, and we might be getting a Kid Flash later on. Could the CW be setting up a live-action Young Justice show?

If they put it on Fridays after Vampire Diaries goes off, that would give them a DC superhero show every day of the week.

There was talk of a Live action Teen Titan show, called Titans. Haven't heard anything in a while