DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I was less than impressed. I also found the fight scene with Bobo Fett to be rather silly. All that shooting, the bounty hunter didn't hit anyone. I mean, even that old guy, Dr. Martin Stein, ran across his field of fire and wasn't hit. But he wasn't the only one missing. All the shooting from the other side, even Captain Cold and Heat Wave who are able to shoot THE FLASH, were missing.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I was less than impressed. I also found the fight scene with Bobo Fett to be rather silly. All that shooting, the bounty hunter didn't hit anyone. I mean, even that old guy, Dr. Martin Stein, ran across his field of fire and wasn't hit. But he wasn't the only one missing. All the shooting from the other side, even Captain Cold and Heat Wave who are able to shoot THE FLASH, were missing.
That was silly; it was like a scene from a children's show where they want a lot of visual excitement without anyone actually getting hurt or killed.

In the case of this pilot, they couldn't kill of Chronos, and couldn't kill off any of the main characters. But they could've staged the scene more convincingly.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Fixed points in time, no going back on your own timeline, the room with clothes for every time period, magic ID making technology. This actually IS Doctor Who.

Loved the Damien Darkh 1970's cameo, but I'm surprised that the Hawks didn't call Rip on his assumption that none of them had faced Savage before.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Despite being a Dr. Who Rip-off (get it?), the insanity of the action set pieces, the neo-camp, the relatively lame hero line-up, the craziness of it all...I am loving this show.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Imagine how the actor feels. :)

Here's an idea, seeing as how they can't kill Savage: next time they're in a fight, Atom shrinks down, comes up behind him, and chloroforms him. Then they put him in cryostorage in the ship until they figure out what to do with him. Problem solved.

And series over. Uhhhhh ... never mind.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Enjoying. But rather shocked that they went and offed Hawkman.

Errr. My family cheered. Youngest has been yelling for the uncomfortably oleaginous and presumptuous stalker-would-be-boyfriend to get offscreen every time he showed up. Seriously, he came off as a major creepster.

When Vandal Savage stabbed Hawkgirl as well there was a general cry of anguish that this meant that the deaths would be another one of those time paradoxes to be undone. The relief when she was spared was palpable.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, if they'd drop everyone except Rip, Cold, Heatwave and Canary, the show would be a lot more fun. The others could come in as needed for specific capers.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
They made him a major creeper in the JLU animated series.

But they were using Earth One Hawkwoman (Thanagarian cop instead of reborn priestess) and she was in a relationship with John Stewart, so Carter Hall was just a creepster there.

I didn't like Arrowverse Hawkman and I'm glad he died. His solution to everything was violence and as the Arrow eipisode showed, he was wrong about that. He has the same solutions now he had in every life and as Cisco pointed out he was 0 for 206.

The thing that annoyed me about his death was Kendra's reaction. I would have prefered she continue her ambivalence then sob her realization that she loved him.

I did like the episode. They're giving the whole ensemble time to play and mix and match. But they did drop a bit of a throwaway bomb for Arrow viewers with Damian Darhk's cameo looking exactly the same in 1975 as he does in 2016. How many immortals are we dealing with here?

I had one bit of writing annoyance. Vandal Savage's "you have 24 hours" is the wrong trope for the immortal villain. In the extras the writers have talked about Savage's patience as one of his most important advantages, and he wasn't showing that here.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Errr. My family cheered. Youngest has been yelling for the uncomfortably oleaginous and presumptuous stalker-would-be-boyfriend to get offscreen every time he showed up. Seriously, he came off as a major creepster.

When Vandal Savage stabbed Hawkgirl as well there was a general cry of anguish that this meant that the deaths would be another one of those time paradoxes to be undone. The relief when she was spared was palpable.

When you say family, does this include little ones? My kids are dying to watch it, but I can't seem to get a good read on whether it would be ok for 13 and 10. Last time I check IMDB I couldn't find any parental guide notes. Usually I check there first. I watched the second ep. (missed the first) and thought it seemed ok for the kids (other than one character saying "douchebag", if I remember, which I was not enthused about). I'm not concerned about violence as much as sex related things (particularly for my 10 year old).

We let them watch The Flash. But not Arrow. For some reason Arrow seems a little more...mature? And we always watch together just in case we feel the need to elaborate or explain something. ;)

Thoughts? Experiences with your kids?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you say family, does this include little ones? My kids are dying to watch it, but I can't seem to get a good read on whether it would be ok for 13 and 10. Last time I check IMDB I couldn't find any parental guide notes. Usually I check there first. I watched the second ep. (missed the first) and thought it seemed ok for the kids (other than one character saying "douchebag", if I remember, which I was not enthused about). I'm not concerned about violence as much as sex related things (particularly for my 10 year old).

We let them watch The Flash. But not Arrow. For some reason Arrow seems a little more...mature? And we always watch together just in case we feel the need to elaborate or explain something. ;)

Thoughts? Experiences with your kids?

I don't have kids, but...it's definitely on the lighter side than Arrow. Though there was a bit of drug use in part 2 of the pilot

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I didn't like Arrowverse Hawkman and I'm glad he died. His solution to everything was violence and as the Arrow episode showed, he was wrong about that. He has the same solutions now he had in every life and as Cisco pointed out he was 0 for 206.
And that's 206 times in only about 4000 years, meaning Vandal Savage killed him and Chay-Ara at an average age of only about 20. So, presumably, he often got them while they were children or infants. (Not sure if the writers have worked that out. Then again, they're the same folks who think 2016 is "the early second millennium A.D.", so I don't think math is their strong suit.)

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I agreed that I did not mind the character that departed. For one, now the gender ratio is only very heavily unbalanced rather than extremely.

I did like how the episode started with a speech about crossing your own timestream. I kind of wish he called it something like "The Cardinal Rule of the Time Masters" to solidify it, but they're making it pretty clear they're borrowing as much from Doctor Who as they are from DC.

Also, Martin Stein has the hots for Laurel's little sister.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
So they killed the one guy who keeps getting reborn every time that happens? Big deal. They'll probably run into his 1975 incarnation before long. If he's the guy born right after the parental hawks died in the 40s, he should be just the right age. Maybe Savage just killed 'his' version of Kendra, or maybe the whole reincarnation cycle is off anyway because she looks way younger than he, so can't both be boran right after their combined deaths every time or something. Anyway, he's the character I'm least convinced will stay dead.

I hope they choose otherwise, though. Kendra seems kind of diminished by his dominant attitude, even though he's the one teaching her to be Hawkgirl. Also, it's the weakest actor in the bunch.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I notice they're using the "Back to the Future" model of how time changes happen, which I hate because it's something a ten-year-old would come up with (though somehow it worked in the movie Looper). Though, really, if they're going to keep borrowing from Doctor Who, we can expect the rules of time travel to be whatever is needed as a plot device.

I don't know why I find Snart's smarmy arrogance so enjoyable. I think because the actor looks like he's having fun.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I finally got the second half of the show online. I'm a little annoyed at the Hawkman death scene.

So Cold, Firestorm, and the others walk out of the mansion with the dagger and hand it to the hawks. They tell the hawks to go kill the badguy, and then NO ONE GOES BACK INSIDE WITH THEM.

This is one of those huge logic holes. If Firestorm can blast VS, and Cold can presumably freeze VS, then they should have done the blasting and the freezing and let the hawks take turns going stabby-stabby with the knife to cover their bases.

Yes, the show would be over, but logic is a thing, people!

awshaw2

Registered
Reaction score
Enjoying. But rather shocked that they went and offed Hawkman.

But when you can time travel and re-incarnate, is this really an issue.

I wasn't so shocked because I figured they'd just pick up another one along the way.

As for the story and all that, it is a little silly and illogical at times, but when the whole team is running around kicking ass, I'm not too worried about why they're doing it. Sometimes you watch a show because it's fun.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
So...has anybody asked the question...how does one get reincarnated when you are decades away from your own time? What exactly will his death when there is already a version of him living somewhere impact the cycle?