My Dumb Question About E-Books

theotter

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so just in advance, I'm still new to this forum so if my question is better fitted for a different section of the forum, please let me know and I will take care of it.

Anywho, I have a basic question about E-book publishing. I know that people can use E-book services for self-publishing. However, I would like to pose a theoretical situation. Let's just say, ​theoretically of course, that someone self-published with E-book services, and that E-book became extremely popular. I know this is rare as a pink cow with wings, but again, we are speaking theoretically. What would said theoretical someone do to get that book into print? Would they just use "Print-on-Demand"? I'm sorry if this question is dumber than Patrick Star with a concussion after a frat party but I am new to this junk. I appreciate your responses and, again, if this is better suited for a different section of the forum, please let me know so that I can correct the mistake.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
Actually there is nothing rare about self-published eBooks becoming popular and selling lots of books. Many formerly trade published authors are going self-published with their new works, and even more are getting their back-list rights and publishing these themselves.

Self-published authors can also be in print, using either POD services from CreateSpace or others. If you wish to make your book available so that wholesale purchases from book store chains are possible, then you can do that as well through IngramSpark or others.

All of my books are available in eBook and POD format today.

I self-publish by choice, not because I cannot get trade published.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this from Publishing Resources to General Publishing Discussions.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
If you self-publish a work in ebook format you can always self-publish it in POD form.

If you hope to have a trade publisher pick it up and print it the situation is more problematic. There are several reasons, some practical, some legal. Among them is that publishers nowadays usually want to have the right to publish a book in both print and electronic form. A prior ebook publication requires some effort to handle. The trade publisher would only spend that effort if the gain was worth it.

It's not impossible, for it has been done. But the odds are very much against it, especially for an author who does not yet have a good track record.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If in, as you say, a pink cow situation a large publisher makes an offer for a previously self-published ebook it is because they consider the book has serious unexploited earning potential and there is no reason why they would not do an offset print run if that is their usual model.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why are you thinking that eBooks are special in this regard? Or that any self-published work would only have a market as an eBook or in printed form?

In general, if your goal is to have a trade publisher pick up your book, do not self publish it in any form. If that is not your goal, self-publish in any format you wish. If you self-publish a book and a trade publisher shows interest in buying the rights, count yourself as supremely blessed.

Jeff