Cats and kidney disease

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you know that approximately 16 of 1000 cats develop kidney disease? Neither did I. It can be genetic, the result of ingesting a toxin (anti-freeze, ibuprofin, plant materials among others), or old age (8 or so and older).

After fighting hard for 4 days, we lost our baby Lucy 10 days ago. She was only 5 1/2. So it had to be genetic. The vet was wonderful, but after 4 days of treatment her kidney function readings were worse than at the beginning. We made the difficult choice to have her euthanized.

If your cat that was healthy and energetic yesterday is lethargic and mopey today, not eating or drinking or eliminating, get them to the vet right away.

MM

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Always sad to lose a furry friend - even worse when they're so young, and go down so fast.

Another huge advantage to indoor-only cats: scooping litter boxes daily keeps you on top of their output, so spotting changes is easier. (Got a few of my boys into the vet sooner rather than later based on altered litter box habits...)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for the loss of Lucy.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. It has been more difficult than previous cats because it was so sudden and she was so young. We still have one cat, but we inherited her from my Dad, and hubby is already saying that when she goes, no more cats. We shall see. This one is only 8, so it should be a while before that kind of decision needs to be made.

Mm

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I have have looked after a number cats over the years and I understand how you might feel when one dies . I have also had cats with kidney problems , I believed it was more common than your number ? .
A vet told me it is largely caused by processed cat food and some cats are more prone to problems than others .
I only have the one now , and he eats better than I do.

Last edited:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
It has been more difficult than previous cats because it was so sudden and she was so young. We still have one cat

I am so sorry to hear this. One of my cats also succumbed to kidney disease, but at an old age. Your cat's sudden death makes me wonder . . . did she have access to a lily? You probably already know this, since you mentioned plant material, but lilies cause kidney failure in cats. Even if they get some of the pollen on their coats and wash it off, it can be fatal. I thought I'd mention this because of your other cat--just on the off chance you weren't aware of the danger of lilies.

I know this now because my cat ate fourteen leaves of a lily plant, but we caught it in time and the vets were able to induce vomiting and feed him activated charcoal (yum), which saved him.

Again, my condolences. :(

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Our oldest cat is fifteen and I'm constantly watching out for her, worrying over every little thing ("Is she lethargic or is it usual cat laziness?" "Is she drinking too much water?" "How would I know since we have two cats and it's tough figuring who peed when?" "She didn't eat her wet food that she's normally eaten before. Finicky or something else?")

Doesn't help that she A) is antisocial - I'm the only other living thing she tolerates -- including over my husband who adopted her in the first place before he even met me! B) hates our other cat - a 10 yr old male we took in a few years ago who is MUCH bigger than her, REALLY wants to play and is unable or unwilling to read her boundaries. So that adds extra stress and Feliway doesn't help her.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Both cats were strictly indoors. And no live plants in my house (I can kill anything in a pot, even plants most consider indestructible), nothing else that could be considered a toxin. We don't even use bug spray. And she got the same dry food all of our cats have eaten. One lived to 18, another to 19. Just nothing that we can point a finger at, unless she was just born with poor kidneys.

MM

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'm so sorry for your loss.

One of the problems with owning cats is how private they are. It can be hard to tell if a change in behavior is a health problem or just cattitude.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! I have lost a beloved Himalayan to kidney failure. Sucks. It really sucks.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am bumping this because I feel it is important for cat staff to know the signs.

MM