Mrs Robinson revisited

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
So I was working out the other day and the gym played a remix/remake of Mrs. Robinson. it was the first time in forever I'd actually listened to the words -- I'd sung along for ages. But because it was a different singer and a slightly different beat, I could hear the lyrics.

I always thought it was a song about the movie plot, but I realize I was wrong. I think it's about a woman who's had a nervous breakdown and is in the hospital/asylum. You've got the second verse -- "We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files/we'd like to help you learn to help yourself/look around you all you see are sympathetic eyes/stroll around the grounds until you feel at home" is what convinced me, and the rest I could see someone trying to come to grips with the world after the breakdown. Or it could regard Mrs Robinson herself after Elaine runs off (on the subject, did anyone else see Rumor Has It? Not bad for an Anniston work, but I think Ruffalo really blows it).

But I can't find any corroberation anywhere, so I thought I'd ask what anyone else thought.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting. I knew the lyrics but somehow never even thought about it. You're right, that sounds exactly like she's been committed to a mental hospital. Of course back then they just might assume an older married woman and mother who was interested in a cute young guy must be mentally ill. The same would certainly not have been said about an older married man and father who was interested in a cute young lady!

Last edited:

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
The relationship between the lyrics & movie is peculiar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Robinson

Basically, if I understand correctly, the movie and song developed independently and the name in the song (originally "Mrs Roosevelt") was changed to fit the movie. But the verses were written after the song-movie link was agreed on. (Are we dizzy yet?) All very postmodern, and who knows what was intended?

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Not feeling it. You can certainly turn the song that way but the S&G sing it bright and perhaps mischieviously like playful boys greeting an older woman, that I can't help think that they were not speaking of a woman in a breakdown or had one.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not feeling it. You can certainly turn the song that way but the S&G sing it bright and perhaps mischieviously like playful boys greeting an older woman, that I can't help think that they were not speaking of a woman in a breakdown or had one.

"We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files/we'd like to help you learn to help yourself/look around you all you see are sympathetic eyes/stroll around the grounds until you feel at home"

What do you think they meant by that, then?

@RobertDawson- Ah, that would make sense then, if they just substituted the name to be able to connect it to the movie.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The lyrics, for reference:
http://www.ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/lyrics/m/mrs_robinson.txt

What I mainly remember is the Joe DiMaggio line. I was in the seventh grade when this was a hit, I overheard a couple of other boys in the class talking about writing book reports on famous baseball players, but I wasn't a big fan and didn't have a favorite, even barely knew famous names. The song just reminded me this was a Famous Person that somehow I should have known something about. But whatever.

This site also has the lyrics, but is notable because of its descriptions of pop songs, and even more so in the comments. It seems to say the verse the OP quoted may have been written about Mrs. Roosevelt. Due to its nature, this site might be a little more speculative than Wikipedia:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?lyrics=1283

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
"We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files/we'd like to help you learn to help yourself/look around you all you see are sympathetic eyes/stroll around the grounds until you feel at home"

What do you think they meant by that, then?

Mrs. Robinson is an older woman strolling around the council houses? Council house construction boomed following World War II due to all the bombed out residences. An older woman in 1968 would or rather could very well find themselves feeling never at home in the council houses that she may find herself living in them. I know S&G were writing for Americans but to me, the lyrics are off the cuff for the most part.