Status
Not open for further replies.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
In recent weeks I have been working on a novella. As I wrote it out, it became clear that this character is attempting to redeem himself. While I was working this out, I read a post by Chuck Wendig about the use of themes in fiction. It seemed like a perfect moment for me.

I have been reading up on redemption. I know what it is and I know what it means, but I wanted to make sure I understood the patterns and steps one must take to achieve it.

It's my understanding that redemption's path has three basic stations.

First, the character does bad things. Sometimes it's because of a bad past, or they think they themselves are bad people, or in some cases they believe they are justified to behave badly (sin).

Second, the character must have a crisis where they realize how horrible of a person they have been. They must feel genuinely guilty about this behavior. I'm also wondering if shame plays a big role in this.

Thirdly, the character must do the right thing to correct their wrongs despite any degree of difficulty. It's not a sacrifice, because redemption doesn't mean they die at the end, but it does mean they face any potential consequence as they attempt to make amends for their actions.

I'm wondering if I have this right. I'm also wondering if there is something missing from this framework. Is there something that needs to be added?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.