• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Heacock Hill Literary Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, your replies here as well as what James has had to say has been a real eye-opener - and not in a good way for you. Honestly, there is no 'in context' way of excusing profanity-laced emails, unless it's from one buddy to another. It is not professional, whether it's one guy to another or one girl to another. Agents are not a writer's friend. They are a business partner. Should they be able to get along on friendly terms? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean I want to see an email from my agent laced with profanity. I'd question his/her professionalism, and whether that's affecting me. There's being blunt and straightforward, and there's unprofessionalism. Profanity never falls into that first one.

James posted what he says is his experience. You would not be dragging it out like this if there was nothing to worry about. At the most your agency would have made comments to your side and let people decide for themselves. Any agency worth their salt has never worried overly about someone's bad experience, because the multitude of other happy clients and sales outweigh those. Your repeat appearances here would make me wonder if Heacock Literary doesn't share that same confidence. While you may be busy, clearly you're not so busy that you're unable to make three very long posts.

mosstam67

Registered
Reaction score
What's in a name change?

For what it's worth, Tom Dark used to go by the name of Peter Danison.
Google turns up at least two references to him.
Why he's now using a new alias, I have no idea.

mosstam67

Registered
Reaction score
Literary agents should spell writers's names correctly!

"Hemingway" used to spell his name with only one M.
Trust me on this. . . !

nokiauser1

Banned
Reaction score
No surprise.

YEP. AT it again. As usual, he "wins friends and influences people."

Wherever he goes, there he is.

HOO HOO HEE HEE HAA HAA... GAPHAW GAPHAW GAPHAW!!!

Chinny chin !

elvikingo

Registered
Reaction score
Will the real Tom Dark please stand up

Quote:

"Young and dumb. Hmmm... I suspect that was first used to coddle a writer in a personal letter to help alleviate the sting of rejection."

Tom didn't write it in that context. And I didn't need to be coddled. I sought out an agent to help sell my book and wanted the discussions to be primarily about that. Like I said, I did not get updates about what was happening with my book and who it was being sent to. I got rantings of whom Tom wanted to get even with and why. I didn't want to hear that. I wanted to know what was happening to my book.

Quote: "As far as James, fighting. He loves a good fight. Yes, I saw that he did call Tom on the table regarding this discussion here. He copied a lot of it and sent it to my email by mistake. Tom isn't reading this but I've been pestering him with a blow by blow account. I guess I shouldn't obsess about what goes on here. We're busy at the agency. Tom didn't show up. Is that a point for James? I bet he thinks so. Big smile to James. As I said before, we've gotten to know him and to like him at the agency. It's all in the eye of the beholder, James."

Tom is reading this because he is writing this. I have read Tom's emails enough over the last nine months to pick him out of a line up.

Quote:

"Oh, and anyone who knows me could easily tell Tom's posts apart from mine. I do have a voice, at least I think I do."

"Cheers"

Tom signs off by writing "Cheers" to his letters. Tom wrote me letters from Catt's Heacock email account. I didn't write her by accident. I would respond to letters that he wrote from her account.

Sometimes I thought Tom's references to Catt were a lot like Columbo talking about a wife that you never saw on those episodes. You would need to see Tom and Catt in the same room at the same time to know for sure who is at the computer.

NoelleB

Registered
Reaction score
well, i was going to say... alot of the 'pro' heacock posts sound as if they are written by the same person (syntax, grammar). furthermore, while i can appreciate tom/catt's efforts to be blunt and 'fresh', their job is to be likable. if that means they need to act like stepford wives to get books published, then that's what they should do, not go out of their way to alienate and insult editors and publishers.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, this debate should be deleted. Although the debate contains useful information for writers searching for an agent, the negatives, in the form of too much information, outweigh that positives. It made me feel . . . kinda icky.
I disagree. I can read all kinds of useful and telling things in the posts you think are TMI. The larger my sample, the more I can see.

Odd fact about conventional publishing: it speaks a distinctive language that's pretty much impossible to get right if you haven't worked in the industry, and has subdialects that are equally hard to fake. To my ear, Priceless rings like silver. In her posts I hear the voice of an editor and small publisher. But in Tom Dark, I hear a frustrated and unsuccessful writer saying the kind of dumb things which frustrated and unsuccessful writers often say -- and which real agents almost never say.

So let the thread run on. It just gets more interesting.
Oh good gracious. Now I know Tom is the author of this mess.
Yup.

The word choice, habitual punctuation, overall length, and spacing of paragraph breaks are also telling. Ditto, framing this discussion as "a debate," which it isn't. Ditto, the line about anything "not selling unless it's by a celebrity," which I would never expect to hear from a real agent. As I said to Repunzel, that's a clear indication that we're looking at a frustrated writer.

But for me, the big telltale is the extraordinary indiscretion "Tom Dark" and "C LeBaigue" have displayed here. Real agents are a closemouthed bunch. Tom Dark is out of control. I have real trouble believing that a functional agency has two employees who not only shoot off their mouths in an unagentish way, but shoot them off in the same way.

Your story in comment 18 is scary. Why would a real agent do that? Rejections are rejections. You're not so specialized that you're the only imaginable publisher for the book.

In comment 21, Old Hack (who isn't earless) said:
I Googled the name of the agency, and of the agent, and found this page (scroll down to find a reference to the agency), which led me to this.
Those two pieces are remarkably similar and I'd say they were probably written by the same person. And that's not a person I'd want representing me. But then, I prefer not to be scared by my agent.​
I too find them remarkably similar, though it's not a big enough sample for me to say whether they're the same person. Still, a real agent ought not write things that are even similar to that first piece. (And what would they be doing on that site anyway? As was once said in Neil Gaiman's weblog, "The more you know, the more errors you see in the "Everyone Who's Anyone" website.")

I doubt Old Hack and I were scared by the same passages. This is the paragraph of Tom Dark's that terrified me:
My biggest failure to date is called "the 'zine," which I conceived and coined in 1985. I commandeered a somewhat immature engineer in Wisconsin to print it up on his copy machine, using whatever he liked out of my letters. He'd print up 250 copies a month. I'd stick them in a news stall at Sather Gate, UC Berkeley. Kids snapped them up and started imitating them right away, eventually, into the millions. I haven't checked a dictionary to see if "'zine" is now listed as a word. Anyway I expected it'd be imitated, and there we have it.
Is he stupid, an astounding narcissist, or just batsh*t crazy? Zine is short for fanzine. The word was invented by Louis Russell Chauvenet in October 1940. (Citations: Wikipedia. The OED. Fancyclopedia I (1944). Fancyclopedia II (1959).) Science fiction fandom had been using zine as an informal short form for decades before the wave of punk zines picked up the term in the 1970s. By the early 1980s, Mike Gunderloy was broadcasting the concept and term to the world. As for Tom Dark's claim that he conceived of and published the first fanzine, any ful kno that was Ray Palmer's The Comet, in 1930.

If he cares about the issue so much, why hasn't he looked any of that up?

The episode may explain why TD is a failed writer, but if so, it's not for the reasons he thinks.

The story about Tom Dark claiming to have gotten an editor fired at Bantam is only fractionally less damning. A minor employee of a minor agency got an editor fired for rejecting a book about the application of Plato's philosophy to physical fitness? WTF? NFW.

Editors decline to read books all the time. It's a basic editorial skill. Furthermore, every editor who's been around for a while can tell you stories about properties they rejected which someone else successfully published. It happens. You have to make the best judgements you can and live with the results. No competent publisher would fire an editor for guessing wrong on a minor book. And as for the specific book in question, if it was so hot that Bantam fired an editor for passing on it, why isn't Bantam's top management now trying to buy it?

I can dimly imagine an editor getting fired over the book if it were the occasion of the latest instance of a pattern of objectionable behavior -- say, telling detectable lies to established agents. In that case, the editor would have been fired on the grounds that after multiple warnings, he or she was still misbehaving in the same way. That wouldn't be a demonstration of Tom Dark's clout. Neither would it be something an agent brags about to a client. If they mentioned it at all, it would be with regret: "Sorry; my mistake. I didn't know she was like that when I submitted your manuscript to her. It's cost us a lot of delay." Knowing stuff like that about editors is one of the things agents are for.

But let's be maximally generous and suppose that the firing happened just as Tom Dark said. In that case, it would still be nothing to brag about. He'd have screwed over all the other authors that editor was handling, and gotten nothing of benefit for that client. If the editor who had that submission left Bantam, it's probably because Bantam is a shrinking imprint within Random House, and they've been laying people off.

Finally, if my agent were going around bragging about getting editors fired, I'd get a new agent. Being able to work constructively with editors is part of their job

One more thing. As you said concerning editors:
If there is a problem, such as this, we tend to do our due diligence and see where problem lies. We ask around and talk to other agents and such. We don't take anyone's word at face value. Authors should never be afraid to speak out, and I resent the implication that they should keep quiet in order to save their reputation. Silence is how abusive situations prosper.
I couldn't agree more. Tom Dark and his sockpuppets may wish they could get this thread deleted, but they can kiss that wish goodbye. It's information of legitimate interest to us all.

Last edited:

T. Nielsen Hayden

Knows her stuff
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
This is the paragraph of Tom Dark's that terrified me ...
I just showed that post to my husband. I didn't warn him what was coming. When he got to the part about Tom Dark inventing zines in 1985, he laughed so hard he turned red. "Fail!" he said. "Maximum fail! Complete and comprehensive fail on all counts! Rings the great fail of love and death!"

Then he added, "I, personally, invented the Polaroid camera, the SUV, crunchy granola, obsequiousness, doing it doggy style, and the Free Soil Party."

nokiauser1

Banned
Reaction score
I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!

I just showed that post to my husband. I didn't warn him what was coming. When he got to the part about Tom Dark inventing zines in 1985, he laughed so hard he turned red. "Fail!" he said. "Maximum fail! Complete and comprehensive fail on all counts! Rings the great fail of love and death!"

Then he added, "I, personally, invented the Polaroid camera, the SUV, crunchy granola, obsequiousness, doing it doggy style, and the Free Soil Party."

Yep.

"Is he stupid, an astounding narcissist, or just batsh*t crazy?"
-Hapisofi

Yep.

socact

Registered
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time working with people suffering from severe mental illness, and yeah...this thread brings up a lot of those issues (from the agency, not you guys!).

nokiauser1

Banned
Reaction score
AND....

They'll be coming to take him away, ho ho.
Coming to take him away, ho hee hee haa haa
To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time.
And he'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats,
And they're coming to take him away! Ha haaaaaaaaaa!

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I looked up my reject letters from Catt LeBaigue. The form letter sounded sane. This paragraph was particularly non-Tom in nature:

We recognize that our perspective on the marketplace is subjective. You may find that another literary agent will react with enthusiasm for your work. We suggest that you contact the Association of Authors' Representatives at http://www.aar-online.org/ for a list of members. Each member of that organization subscribes to a strict canon of ethics.

I do wish somebody with clout (Victoria?) would ask Catt if she sent the replies and, if so, why.

I did have Catt in my list of agents to query on future projects, but this whole Tom Dark thing leaves me reeling with uncertainty.

elvikingo

Registered
Reaction score
Now I know Priceless 1 was being stalked because I am being stalked.

This is how it went. A few weeks ago, this craziness started when I asked Tom to stay on task and not worry about the young editors, his vendettas, and be my agent which means try to pitch my book.

I got back a series of insulting and condescending emails. It took me a while to find an agent. So even though Tom's behavior was less than ideal, I tried to redirect him and I asked him, "Can we get back to work now?"

He writes me this email using F bombs and G--damits and so forth. I then write him informing him that I am writing the required certified letter stating the reasons for Heacock Literary Agency's breach of contract and his failure as an agent.

After this, he tells me in another letter that he is deleting my emails and that he doesn't want me to write him anymore. I respected his wishes there. I did not write him and was not even going to come back to this website anymore either until he CC's me this letter today that he sent to someone else.

He was my literary agent and he is telling this third party about me, his former client. Since Tom is sending out copies of this letter to others, I figured it is now public domain:

Presently he's in a state of "hubris," without realizing what hubris is. These days we call it various things. In the course of a few days his mails went from "I'm more comfortable with you than with my own family" to his present deed of dishonoring himself by attempting to smear me and the agency on a certain website. He's "attacking" using client-confidential information in ethical violation, plus twisting it around so that it's basically a set of lies, and so on. Not worth the trouble untangling anyone's sticky web about it. I'll answer any personal queries about it.
I don't much mind this, either, just watching. I'd warned him about "hubris," and next thing I know he's pulled the word out of his diapers to throw at a 95 year old philosopher -- one of the few to have earned the title the way it is earned, "every time he opens his mouth except to ask what's for dinner". I'm afraid I have less faith in the validity of James' actual academic credentials than you do, owing to this behavior.

I am almost, but not quite as amused as you are with the exchange below. It's emotionally arrested, like a young adolescent in an identity-rage. His reply is indeed intellectually cowardly -- the physical equivalent of backing out the door in a bar fight he knows he can't win, pretending not to be afraid. Thus the unsolicited remark about how unafraid he is. He's afraid. There'd be layers of denial about it, arrogance, acts of futility, blustering, etc. etc.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I had never heard of this agency before reading this thread. All I can say is "wow".

nokiauser1

Banned
Reaction score
Ok never mind that last post. Leave it deleted.

All I have to say is .........................YEP.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
This is how it went. A few weeks ago, this craziness started when I asked Tom to stay on task and not worry about the young editors, his vendettas, and be my agent which means try to pitch my book.

I got back a series of insulting and condescending emails. It took me a while to find an agent. So even though Tom's behavior was less than ideal, I tried to redirect him and I asked him, "Can we get back to work now?"

He writes me this email using F bombs and G--damits and so forth. I then write him informing him that I am writing the required certified letter stating the reasons for Heacock Literary Agency's breach of contract and his failure as an agent.

After this, he tells me in another letter that he is deleting my emails and that he doesn't want me to write him anymore. I respected his wishes there. I did not write him and was not even going to come back to this website anymore either until he CC's me this letter today that he sent to someone else.
He's getting even with you for leaving him? He's a complete jerk.
He was my literary agent and he is telling this third party about me, his former client. Since Tom is sending out copies of this letter to others, I figured it is now public domain:
He wouldn't have much ground to stand on if he tried to protest your making the letter public.

This is staggeringly unprofessional behavior on his part. I have never before said this about someone working at a legitimate agency, but Tom Dark needs to move on to some other profession. He ought not be trying to work as an agent.

Quoting Tom Dark's letter:
Presently he's in a state of "hubris," without realizing what hubris is. These days we call it various things. In the course of a few days his mails went from "I'm more comfortable with you than with my own family" to his present deed of dishonoring himself by attempting to smear me and the agency on a certain website. He's "attacking" using client-confidential information in ethical violation, plus twisting it around so that it's basically a set of lies, and so on. Not worth the trouble untangling anyone's sticky web about it. I'll answer any personal queries about it.
I don't much mind this, either, just watching. I'd warned him about "hubris," and next thing I know he's pulled the word out of his diapers to throw at a 95 year old philosopher -- one of the few to have earned the title the way it is earned, "every time he opens his mouth except to ask what's for dinner". I'm afraid I have less faith in the validity of James' actual academic credentials than you do, owing to this behavior.

I am almost, but not quite as amused as you are with the exchange below. It's emotionally arrested, like a young adolescent in an identity-rage. His reply is indeed intellectually cowardly -- the physical equivalent of backing out the door in a bar fight he knows he can't win, pretending not to be afraid. Thus the unsolicited remark about how unafraid he is. He's afraid. There'd be layers of denial about it, arrogance, acts of futility, blustering, etc. etc.

What a nasty little pseudo-intellectual he is -- and what a bad writer, too. That's just a lot of name-calling. It means less than the sum of its parts.

Elvikingo, I'm so sorry. You have been unlucky.

elvikingo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Hapisofi

Yes very unlucky indeed. It would be better that I stay away from the casino.

Your words reminded me of one of my favorite poems by Robert service:

Carry on! Carry on!
Things never were looming so black.
But show that you haven't a cowardly streak,
And though you're unlucky you never are weak.
Carry on! Carry on!
Brace up for another attack.
It's looking like hell, but you never can tell:
Carry on, old man! Carry on!

I feel like I have escaped from a giant rabbit hole and just now am seeing the sun again. Since I was given the green light to post it here, I will show you how deep that rabbit hole was:

-- and the cop writer she turned down with pages of gobbledygook to me about being "proper" JUST got picked out of 2200 other writers for Police Writer of the Year. For HONESTY. Jack's out at 4 publishers now. Best reply: "We will take this seriously." Obviously, her posting does suggest she isn't into honesty. It is I who am being stalked here, isn't it? Some may never learn.

I sure did name and start the 'zine. It wasn't around in the 60s -- I was there for the "underground newspapers." It started in 1985 and people -- well, that's on my abandoned blog. I don't want clients who don't like my blog, even if I did abandon it. Like I said, let's see them get a phone call from a leader of a whole country asking permish to reprint one of THEIR articles for every church there -- and out into a whole bunch of languages in other countries. Let's see THEM go worldwide out of nowhere, no la-la lunches with rich uncles and girly types helping the publishing industry take a dump with all the pretensions and paranoid egotisms and immaturity and so on. I don't want writers with less power than I have, and you've got it. You, my cops, my scientists, and my other novelists. It's a tough row to hoe and I have the toughest, smartest writers.

post this there if you want, but alter the names appropriately. I'm busy. And I'll be busy long after they've been forgotten.

PS Did Sriram tell you his MS is going to Spielberg?

Tom

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
-- and the cop writer she turned down with pages of gobbledygook to me about being "proper" JUST got picked out of 2200 other writers for Police Writer of the Year. For HONESTY. Jack's out at 4 publishers now. Best reply: "We will take this seriously." Obviously, her posting does suggest she isn't into honesty. It is I who am being stalked here, isn't it? Some may never learn.
Oh. He's talking about me. Hmm. Now would why any agent send an email to his own clients disparaging an editor of a weensy little house? What does this prove? That I'm a buffoon? Shouldn't he be getting on with selling his authors?

And why would his clients care about his beef with an editor? It's creepy. I don't care if he wants to spread lies about me - I have the emails to prove the stalking, and I feel I have a pretty solid reputation.

I'm truly happy for Mr. Cop Writer. With his recent acclaim, he obviously wrote a good book. Had Tom submitted a real live query that gave me real live details about the book, I would have had something of substance to consider.

I'm glad Mr. Cop Writer's manuscript is out to four publishers. I hope one of them picks it up. If they do, it's probably because Tom took my advice and included something of substance instead of a few excerpts and saying
It's a fun to read, with a rare credibility.

And I also hope Tom realizes that he needs to divulge when a title has been previously published. It doesn't matter that "it never saw the light of day." It's sporting an ISBN, for crying out loud!

I hope those four publishers who are reviewing Mr. Cop Writer's book perform their due diligence and scope out the active buy buttons on the author's website. I hope they wander over to Amazon.com where it's listed as "currently unavailable."

I was understandably quite upset that Tom never revealed this book's previous past and felt he was trying to pull a fast one on me. He blew it off by saying:
Mentioning it seemed inconsequential.
Maybe in his world, but not mine. Does this man understand the term "first rights"?

He's more than free to climb to the Matterhorn and scream out that I'm rancid goose liver, and I'm really ok with that. I do not act unprofessionally, am always prepared when pitching my authors, and I do not lie. I also do not involve any of my authors in whatever pettiness happens to crawl out of the drainpipe.

PS Did Sriram tell you his MS is going to Spielberg?
Oh stop. What does this mean? An agent could send anything to anyone. It's a tosspot thing to say. It's only worth getting excited if Spielberg signs a deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.