• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Heacock Hill Literary Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainIDz

Registered
Reaction score
<----- Ray M. from SiteJabber

It seems my positive review and refusal to go away may have been that proverbial straw. Though, I did say something to the effect of just banning all of the people associated with the attacks in that thread (myself included, as I sometimes gleefully got my hands dirty.)

Hi Lisa, ([SUB]in a deep voice[/SUB]) I mean Ray!

I give your stand by your review and comments - ★★★★★

They banned themselves with their constant flaming and attacking people.

As I said to someone, If they all came from here, and I was a Mod here, and they acted here like they did there, I would have the "ban user" button on speed dial!

JoBird

Banned
Reaction score
In general, I'm not a person who looks for enemies in life, so it always surprises me to see people who are. Before I ever realized that there were starkly drawn lines in the internet writing community sand, I came across a site called Sitejabber. On it, there were several bad reviews of AW, which surprised me as my interactions here have been, by-and-large, rather pleasant.

So I posted a review of my own to offer forth my opinion for whatever it was worth. Not long after, a handful of folks responded, Tom Dark being one of them, accusing me of things I really didn't understand. According to the responses, I was a sock-puppet and some sort of agenda promoter. I'm still not exactly sure what agenda I was being accused of promoting. It struck me as incredibly irrational.

I've given it a small amount of thought as time has passed. I think the venom has to be coming from somewhere, but I can't figure out where. To date, these are my guesses as to why some folks seem so dead-set on antagonizing AW:

1. Some sort of possible chemical imbalance, as mentioned above,
2. Trolling just for the sake of good time trolling,
3. Legitimate belief, possibly based on political differences spiraled out of control,
4. Revenge for a perceived wrong-doing, or
5. Something I have yet to consider.

I suppose I have trouble understanding a lot of the energy expended in engaging in this back and forth. I'm sure this issue of antagonism is far bigger to some folks than it is to me, so it's easy for me to say it makes more sense to just ignore it all. My limited skin in the fight leaves me more curious than anything else, but I imagine other folks actually have an investment of emotion in the fight. Which I suppose is fair enough.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I think the venom has to be coming from somewhere, but I can't figure out where. To date, these are my guesses as to why some folks seem so dead-set on antagonizing AW:

I know exactly where it's coming from.

Tom Dark is upset about this thread:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30642

But he can't even manage to quote from it accurately—nor does he seem cognizant that his own posts are the ones that are horrifying people.

And Tom Dark is fraternizing with The Write Agenda, and STGRB.

Which says all anyone needs to know about how much he cares about authors.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Which says all anyone needs to know about how much he cares about authors.

All he cares about authors and all he knows about publishing.

Some of the things that he's exercised about (e.g. someone claiming that Heacock charged fees) never actually happened. Ever. He's angry about a figment of his own imagination.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
OK. Just re-skimmed the first several pages of this thread (yes, I'm procrastinating. Why do you ask?), and it reminds me that Catt LeBaigue has been missing, with people wondering if she knows what Tom Dark is doing to the agency's reputation (and apparently using her e-mail address) since 2009 now.

Is there ANYONE who has heard from her in the past FOUR years?

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I suppose I have trouble understanding a lot of the energy expended in engaging in this back and forth. I'm sure this issue of antagonism is far bigger to some folks than it is to me, so it's easy for me to say it makes more sense to just ignore it all.

True. You've not been harassed or accused or insulted, so it's easier for you to ignore this.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I have trouble understanding a lot of the energy expended in engaging in this back and forth. I'm sure this issue of antagonism is far bigger to some folks than it is to me, so it's easy for me to say it makes more sense to just ignore it all.

True. You've not been harassed or accused or insulted, so it's easier for you to ignore this.

I don't believe that JoBird hasn't been harassed, actually, but that she feels relatively unscathed and has chosen to disengage.

So I posted a review of my own to offer forth my opinion for whatever it was worth. Not long after, a handful of folks responded, Tom Dark being one of them, accusing me of things I really didn't understand. According to the responses, I was a sock-puppet and some sort of agenda promoter. I'm still not exactly sure what agenda I was being accused of promoting. It struck me as incredibly irrational.

My limited skin in the fight leaves me more curious than anything else, but I imagine other folks actually have an investment of emotion in the fight. Which I suppose is fair enough.

Topics pertaining to, or involving, TD tend to turn viscous and toxic pretty damn quick (whether held here or elsewhere). It's good to have this information archived for those looking to query him, but IMHO, disengaging seems like a healthy option whenever preferable/possible.

Deleted member 42

I don't believe that JoBird hasn't been harassed, actually, but that she feels relatively unscathed and has chosen to disengage.

On the contrary, JoBird was harassed simply because she posted a positive and truthful review regarding her personal experience at AW. Tom Dark and TWA descended like ethanol-fueled illiterate harpies.

I'm sorry JoBird; I know you were accused of being me. There really wasn't anything I could do.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, one could do a lot worse than being thought to be Medievalist.

Maryn, tipping her hat

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Click and read the link. Here it is again.

The Agenda of the Write Agenda

It's dense and full of data so read it carefully, and don't miss the screen shots.

I was rereading the last few pages, noticed the link, and read their assertions about the word "mitzvah." I refuse to be those rebs provided any such quotes IF informed appropriately in any way.

Why? Because I am Jewish, and "mitzvah" is said or referred to as a good deed. As a kid, my mother would say, "Come help me with this, it's a mitzvah." One who does mitzvahs, or is in general, a good person is called a mensch.

So, I find it offensive TWA is using our cultural word without good faith. If any of the TWA 'staff' happens to see this, for shame!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I was rereading the last few pages, noticed the link, and read their assertions about the word "mitzvah." I refuse to be those rebs provided any such quotes IF informed appropriately in any way.

They didn't.

Look at the dates. Those (out of context) quotes all predate the event they're supposedly decrying.

This is just one example of many of TWA, what's the word, lying.

Deleted member 42

Because I am Jewish, and "mitzvah" is said or referred to as a good deed. As a kid, my mother would say, "Come help me with this, it's a mitzvah." One who does mitzvahs, or is in general, a good person is called a mensch.

The TWA khevre is a shande.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Pssst -- that's Lisa. She's our sys-admin, and as such, also occasionally posts on AW as "AW Admin"

I'm Mac. I'm not as smart as Medievalist, but I'm taller, blonder, and a better speller.

TWA, Tom Dark and pals have been sowing great amounts of confusion about that, whenever and wherever they can.

Last edited:

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Pssst -- that's Lisa. She's our sys-admin, and as such, also occasionally posts on AW as "AW Admin"

I'm Mac. I'm not as smart as Medievalist, but I'm taller, blonder, and a better speller.

TWA, Tom Dark and pals have been sowing great amounts of confusion about that, whenever and wherever they can.

Oh my bad. I was also responding to James, but I'm a dunce lol. :Shrug:

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
just sent my query and synopsis to heacock hill. keeping my fingers crossed. (that's a joke, btw ha ha)

That statement actually gave me angina. ;) Save pranks like that for April Fool's Day or something.

*clutches chest and keels over* :D

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I was in NYC this weekend, not checking the Internet. I log on this morning to discover that--along with a new flurry of libellous tweets--Tom Dark has tweeted my home address. I've reported it to Twitter, but who knows what they'll do about it (or when). Meanwhile, the scammers who follow TWA and Tom now know where I live.

This has been going on since June and I'm sick of it.

- Victoria

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Can you file a complaint with the police? I'd definitely consider this harassment, and for someone in your position who has people angry with you fairly often, it seems downright threatening.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've filed complaints with my local police about the death threats I've received, with no results other than sympathy and "we'll keep it on file". So it doesn't seem worth bothering in this case.

At this point I'd like to sue, but I don't have the personal resources.

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.