Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Heacock Hill Literary Agency

I read, dearly sorry

I read through your issues with Tom Dark. I empathize.

The link is provided mostly for those who want to see what he is still up to. He doesn't seem to have calmed down from the experiences listed here a couple of years ago.

Just to record it for posterity...

For aspiring authors who think submission to Tom Dark is worth it, I leave this tweet...

http://twitter.com/TomDark9/statuses/148494155423821824

This increasing asshole @iwriteforme reminds me to tell aspiring writers: agents don't sell books.They pick great ones. bit.ly/rhk9m2
    I've finished with him. Just thought I'd alert authors about his professionalism.

practical experience, FTW htrent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwriteforme View Post
    For aspiring authors who think submission to Tom Dark is worth it, I leave this tweet...

http://twitter.com/TomDark9/statuses/148494155423821824

I've finished with him. Just thought I'd alert authors about his professionalism.
    Wow. The list of people I'd call an a-hole is small, but they generally deserve it for far worse reasons than trying to engage in a rational debate. I'm sorry. No one should be attacked like that.

Well, after being blocked and moving on, he's now decided to continue. Writers, this is who will be representing you if you decide to go with Tom Dark:

http://twitter.com/TomDark9/statuses/148531655001374720

Any students of human nature out there? Want to see typical activity of a total obsessive? Check @iwriteforme 's smear campaign about me.
    The creepiness of this guy... It shines through everything else.

figuring it all out
    oh Absolute Write. What EVER would I do without you......

hugs hugs hugs.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Wow.

*checks Twitter again*

Wooooow. This guy--sometimes, I'm starting to think, a lot of rejections (and generally bad things in life) are blessings in disguise.

Now, to snag one of those agents who requested a full...
    It's never too late to be who you might have been - George Eliot

I took this agency off my "to query" list. Thank you, Absolute Write!

The responses from Tom Dark in this thread are just...wow.

I got an email from Twitter tonight...

Tom Dark @TomDark9 is now following you (@iwriteforme).

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Block him and move on.

MM

Sockpuppet

He's on the run about it at his own blog

comment withdrawn as per request.

But he's still a piss poor agent in my book. I've had short stories and poems published, so it's NOT like I can't write or haven't written anything...etc.. You don't have to be "GOOD AT" anything in America for "success." All it takes is having an UNCLE DADDY upstairs. That's USUALLY how HOLLYWOOD does it.

I wouldn't want Mr. Dark to handle my material whatsoever.

He SHOT HIMSELF in his own foot. Any NEGATIVE comments he receives are, thus, well deserved and of his own doing. PERIOD and -Amen.
    Last edited by HeadsUP; 05-05-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Sockpuppet

My apologies for having missed this on his blog

. Ok, then here is my OPINION about what he's complaining about which, I think, has nothing at all to do with WRITING and PUBLISHING:

That whole thread seems to be more about an alleged "Jew Hater" Peter Wells, whoever that is, than about writing or a "writers' help" website. He sounds confused to me.
    Last edited by HeadsUP; 05-05-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Girl Detective AW Moderator Stacia Kane's Avatar
    I'm uncomfortable with the personal comments.

ETA to clarify: While it's absolutely fair to say that someone's interpersonal skills and online persona are important with regards to their ability to be an effective agent--so looking at how they conduct themselves is appropriate to some degree--I don't think we need to bring personal issues from someone's blog here, and I definitely don't think the personal insults aimed at Mr. Dark are necessary, informative, professional, or appropriate. That's not what this forum is for.

HeadsUP, I'd seriously consider editing your those posts and removing the insults, were I you.
    Last edited by Stacia Kane; 05-05-2012 at 01:32 AM.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    I'm uncomfortable with the personal comments.

ETA to clarify: While it's absolutely fair to say that someone's interpersonal skills and online persona are important with regards to their ability to be an effective agent--so looking at how they conduct themselves is appropriate to some degree--I don't think we need to bring personal issues from someone's blog here, and I definitely don't think the personal insults aimed at Mr. Dark are necessary, informative, professional, or appropriate. That's not what this forum is for.

HeadsUP, I'd seriously consider editing your those posts and removing the insults, were I you.

DONE

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Agree

My experience with Tom Dark was very similar to what others have reported here. He enthusiastically acquired me as a client but was never able to sell my book. I was actually horrified to read his manic communications to prospective editors, and some times he even misrepresented my position in order to market my book.

Worse, he wasted a lot of time calling me up at all hours to shoot the breeze for 2-3 hours at a time EACH DAY. None of these conversations were geared towards selling my book. Instead they were random musings about psychics, wars he was waging against various people, and his crusade against pedophiles.

The long, rambing emails were too much to read--In fact, I stopped readingthem after a while.I wanted to know what he was doing to sell the book. As it turns out, not much.

Sockpuppet

Professional Editors? Who are you? Who, who, who-who?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookie View Post
    My experience with Tom Dark was very similar to what others have reported here. He enthusiastically acquired me as a client but was never able to sell my book. I was actually horrified to read his manic communications to prospective editors, and some times he even misrepresented my position in order to market my book.

Worse, he wasted a lot of time calling me up at all hours to shoot the breeze for 2-3 hours at a time EACH DAY. None of these conversations were geared towards selling my book. Instead they were random musings about psychics, wars he was waging against various people, and his crusade against pedophiles.

The long, rambing emails were too much to read--In fact, I stopped readingthem after a while.I wanted to know what he was doing to sell the book. As it turns out, not much.

Yes, indeed. Now then, a seriously rutted behavior pattern is apparently quite visible here, I'm afraid. Yes, of course. There is no mistake on second glance. Hmm....as it were.

Refer to prior posts by Dr. Clarke, aka, "ELVIKINGO," who gave a nigh identical account right here on this station, and compare your notes to his.

Indeed!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    At last they've found each other. A Note to The Write Agenda from Tom Dark (mostly about how evil AW is).

- Victoria

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Tom, it is time to see your doctor and review your medication
    Behind the smile, there's danger and a promise to be told.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Birds of a feather.

Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety AW Paladin
    HeadsUP

You seem to be using this thread for little more than rhetorical flourishes and fulminating. Please stop.

If you have something of substance to contribute then do, but at this point you seem to be beating a desiccated corpse of a horse.
    Please take a look at The Newbie Guide to Absolute Write.

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.

Sockpuppet

THEY NEVER LISTEN

The line limit cut me off

It's supposed to be "they never listen."

thank you

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Who's "they?"
    Cameron Bane

Trade published: The Radiance and Pitfall

Pitfall: releases from Wildblue Press on 18 August 2015

www.cameronbanebooks.com

check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to!

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Gravity, I think HeadsUp objected to our Admin asking him to stop bumping this thread.

HeadsUp, I've read the post you deleted and I fully understand your frustration: but by repeatedly bumping the thread to bring it to the top of the list in the way that you were doing, you were only serving to dilute the message of this thread. Which is, I suspect, the opposite of what you were hoping to achieve.

If you have anything new, substantial and specific to post here, then that would be great. We'd all appreciate it. But if all you have is your continuing outrage--which many people share with you--then please stop bumping the thread up: it does not help.

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    Gravity, I think HeadsUp objected to our Admin asking him to stop bumping this thread.

HeadsUp, I've read the post you deleted and I fully understand your frustration: but by repeatedly bumping the thread to bring it to the top of the list in the way that you were doing, you were only serving to dilute the message of this thread. Which is, I suspect, the opposite of what you were hoping to achieve.

If you have anything new, substantial and specific to post here, then that would be great. We'd all appreciate it. But if all you have is your continuing outrage--which many people share with you--then please stop bumping the thread up: it does not help.

I've nothing more to add.

Got the hang of it, here Absolute Sage jchines's Avatar
    Mr. Dark emailed me today to inform me that (I'm paraphrasing) everything on this thread is a lie by lying liars who lie.

My response is here.

I looked for any evidence of successful sales, or even a client list, and couldn't find anything. If there's any information to establish him as a legitimate agent, I'd be happy to add that to my blog post.
    "A good library is both church and armory..."
    -from LIBRIOMANCER

Tom Dark

Quote Originally Posted by jchines View Post
    Mr. Dark emailed me today to inform me that (I'm paraphrasing) everything on this thread is a lie by lying liars who lie.
    Mr. Dark has such a ridiculous world view, that he could almost rival the hilarity of your blog, were it not for him taking himself so dead-cold serious.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast