• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

A shy character...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnluckyClover77

Registered
Reaction score
I have a lead male character who is very introverted and has strong opinions about...pretty much everything.
The problem is this: He keeps most of these opinions to himself because, like the title says, he is shy and well-mannered enough not fight with other people over things he finds objectionable.
It's actually been okay so far (considering it is written in first-person, and that the reader knows what he is thinking), but I'm still a bit fearful of him coming across as weak. Nobody likes a weak main character!
Any suggestions?

Mr.Letterman

Registered
Reaction score
I think it should be fine since his thoughts are projected. It would be good if he came out of his shell to some extent at some point. Showing personal growth etc. That's my opinion anyway. Good luck!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this should be a problem. Just make sure you get those thoughts across in the narrative and you're fine.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody likes a weak main character!

I'd argue that most readers prefer weaker character--whether they'd admit that or not.

The problem I see is that they might come off as whinny. Holden Caufield can be seen as a introverted character who has many opinions on nearly everything, and he's one of the most despised characters of high-schoolers. Though I think you can avoid that as long as you don't make every opinion negative, and not make them entirely passive (as in they actually do something).

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
It would be good if he came out of his shell to some extent at some point. Showing personal growth etc. That's my opinion anyway.

I don't consider introversion a character flaw that needs to be solved. What some people might call "coming out of his shell" could amount to the person in question learning that he shouldn't be himself, and I wouldn't call that personal growth. Not in a good sense...

If the character wishes he had a social life but doesn't because he has crippling shyness, that would be different, and I guess I might want to see him "come out of his shell" and learn to cope with this somehow. But if he is simply introverted and happy with his life as it is, I don't want to see him turn into something he isn't.

Not clear what the case is here, though.

Shyness =/= introversion, though they seem to be used interchangeably in the OP.

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I agree with all comments. Keep in mind one can be introverted and NOT be shy. I am an introverted person but I am not very shy. In fact, my teachers used to tell my parents I was 'quiet,' but not shy.

Well, in order to survive in a family full of oversized personalities, one had to speak up or drown in the corner.

And I don't think anyone would call me weak. I'd sock'em in the head if they did. (Talking about family members only. :D )

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Does your main character affect the plot in any way? It doesn't have to be big or attention-getting, but they have to be doing something -- otherwise why is this guy the protagonist and not someone else?

I can't stand characters who "talk" a lot but don't act. (This may just be me, though.)

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
1) Introverted and shy aren't the same thing. Shy people have anxiety when interacting with other people. Depending on degree, it may only kick in when dealing with new people or people they don't know well, or in severe cases, with anyone, including family members. Introverts are people who emotionally recharge and find social situations emotionally and physically draining. This doesn't mean they don't like people or going out, just that it's tiring. Extroverts are the opposite. They get a charge out of being with people and find being alone tiring and stressful.

2) You're in his head. You can show his thoughts and feelings, and give is his decision making process. Being able to understand why he does what he does helps the reader relate.

3) Someone who doesn't want to argue doesn't automatically become a weak or a doormat. They can smile, nod, and then silently think, fuck that, I'm doing my own thing. Keep him doing his own thing and it will be fine. Being independent will show his strength.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have a lead male character who is very introverted and has strong opinions about...pretty much everything.
The problem is this: He keeps most of these opinions to himself because, like the title says, he is shy and well-mannered enough not fight with other people over things he finds objectionable.
It's actually been okay so far (considering it is written in first-person, and that the reader knows what he is thinking), but I'm still a bit fearful of him coming across as weak. Nobody likes a weak main character!
Any suggestions?

Is he the pov? It's easy enough to show how he feels without him actually saying things.

Tom forced his face into an agreeable expression. "Of course I want to go to the concert with you." A lie, of course, unless he miraculously lost his hearing between now and Friday.

Or you can use body language. Tom ducks his head and avoids eye contact, doesn't challenge someone who's being an ass. But his fists and jaw ache from being clenched.

And as for seeming weak. I don't think a character who is shy is necessarily weak. Weak characters are ones whose personality traits aren't developed or whose motives aren't clear. The term is sometimes also used for characters who lack agency or are just swept along by the plot instead of making choices that help drive it.

But two things to consider: one is that the transformation from passivity to greater agency and decisiveness is a really common (and popular) character arc. Complaints about characters lacking agency are usually made about characters who are this way for an entire story.

A second thing is, a desire to avoid conflict or be left alone due to being shy or introverted can actually be plot driving in itself. For instance, say Tom decides to go along with something because he's uncomfortable saying no to something, and he ends up smack dab in the middle of the story's catalyzing event, one that forces him to make choices and act.

And third, strength doesn't always show on the outside, and there are many ways for a person to be strong.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
He could be shy, but he could have strong opinions about things. He could be a member of an online forum or could be reading intellectual magazines. Or he could be good with pets or something.

IMO it's not the person who is the shy. Maybe his current environment is intimidating.
Maybe he's got bullies at school/college/work place. Maybe his parents are obsessed with power and control.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Nobody likes a weak main character!
Any suggestions?

Weak is in the limitations of the person. Make every time he takes a stance, every time he steps up and calls attention to himself, every time he has to be the lead, seem like a huge obstacle to overcome.
You could compare it, to some degree, to deciding whether your main character should be the Hulk or your stereotypical geeky kid. No way the geeky kid could get over the same obstacles as the Hulk, but that doesn't mean we can't root for him as he clambers over his own.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd argue that most readers prefer weaker character--whether they'd admit that or not.

What makes you think this? I sure don't see books sell that have weak main characters, and "weak characters" is one of the most common complaints editors have with stories.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Any suggestions?

His actions will make him weak or strong, not his personality. What does this character do to overcome his problems?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
The problem I see is that they might come off as whinny. Holden Caufield can be seen as a introverted character who has many opinions on nearly everything, and he's one of the most despised characters of high-schoolers. Though I think you can avoid that as long as you don't make every opinion negative, and not make them entirely passive (as in they actually do something).

Yes, this was my thoughts as well. If this guy is all snarky commentary and hating the people around him and never doing anything about it, well, that's pretty awful to read about, most of the times.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm tempted to recommend Susan Cain's TED talk on introversion. Quiet ≠ Weak.

OTOH, if he's a passive character, that could be a turnoff.

UnluckyClover77

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, it's me again! I see this Introverted vs. Shy argument is getting too much attention, so I might as well clear that up.
He is shy AND introverted. He finds that having small talks with strangers or entertaining guests in a party (for example) is tiresome and boring, but when he does want to talk to someone he actually cares about, he gets anxious. So yes, he’s obviously happy with being an introvert and not so much with being shy. I try to make that change of thinking pattern clear in the POV.
Based on what everybody says, the introvert part is okay as long as he is not entirely negative and passive, and the shy part is fixed if he overcomes it in certain situations. Does that sound about right?
As in being part of the plot, problems sort of happen to him and he reacts, sometimes very drastically.
Plotting is the art of torturing your imaginary friends.

Keep him doing his own thing and it will be fine. Being independent will show his strength.

Tom forced his face into an agreeable expression. "Of course I want to go to the concert with you." A lie, of course, unless he miraculously lost his hearing between now and Friday.

Priceless. I definitely need more of that.

J.S.Fairey

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think readers have a problem with weak characters. The problem is with PASSIVE characters, who don't do anything but just have stuff happen to them. As long as your character is, despite his shyness, making his own choices, you should be okay!

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with characters who don't like so much social interaction (for whatever reason) - but I would expect enough of their internal voice/thoughts to keep interest, i.e. I want to know what's going on in the character's head - the internal dialogue. To me it doesn't matter whether he's shy to speak to people - but something must be going on in his head, including (maybe) some of hes fears about social situations. Or that he's a misanthrope and you have his internal voice saying what he doesn't like about the other people in the situation, crowds or people in general.

What's important is the character is interesting. Being interesting does not require you to be a party animal with fantastic social skills. What's boring is if you just have him at social events not doing anything, with no insight into his head so he's just *there* without doing or thinking anything.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think readers have a problem with weak characters. The problem is with PASSIVE characters, who don't do anything but just have stuff happen to them. As long as your character is, despite his shyness, making his own choices, you should be okay!

I have serious problem with weak characters in main character roles. Unless the character overcomes the weakness, who cares?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, it's me again! I see this Introverted vs. Shy argument is getting too much attention, so I might as well clear that up.
He is shy AND introverted. He finds that having small talks with strangers or entertaining guests in a party (for example) is tiresome and boring, but when he does want to talk to someone he actually cares about, he gets anxious. So yes, he’s obviously happy with being an introvert and not so much with being shy. I try to make that change of thinking pattern clear in the POV.
Based on what everybody says, the introvert part is okay as long as he is not entirely negative and passive, and the shy part is fixed if he overcomes it in certain situations. Does that sound about right?
As in being part of the plot, problems sort of happen to him and he reacts, sometimes very drastically.
Plotting is the art of torturing your imaginary friends.

Priceless. I definitely need more of that.

It still comes down to what does he do. Introverted or extroverted, shy or bold, so what? None of this matters in the least. They're DO to solve his problems? If the answer is taking steps, action, then shy and introverted are just how you draw him. If the answer is he does nothing, the story is probably dead in the water.

Megann

Registered
Reaction score
I think a character can be especially negative and snarky towards others inside their own head, as long as you show why they are like this. Usually it's a result of deep self loahting or insecurities. If a character is struggling in his head with characters around him he should also struggle with himself to balance things out and he can't be negative all the time or even most of the time. That just makes people tune out, but a flaw of an inability to express feelings or ask people about theirs can create a lot of conflicts in your own head. (Some personal experience speaking here)

Also the habit of projecting intentions and feelings onto people rather than talking about them can create some interesting conflicts when these projections at some point inevitably come out in behavior or conversations. Your character's mistaken understandings of what other people are like and acting on it can create some magnificent plot points in my opinion.

If you want an example of extreme introverted behavior causing problems, you should check out Watamote. Although I must admit that it was sometimes a bit too much, even for me.

Last edited:

UnluckyClover77

Registered
Reaction score
It still comes down to what does he do. Introverted or extroverted, shy or bold, so what? None of this matters in the least. They're DO to solve his problems? If the answer is taking steps, action, then shy and introverted are just how you draw him. If the answer is he does nothing, the story is probably dead in the water.

Of course it matters! Why would I ask if it didn't matter?
...and yes, he takes steps to solve his problems, but not all of his thoughts are formed around his problems, you know?

I always thought that writing "rules" aren't really rules at all, they're more like guidelines, something to take notice of to make life a little bit easier.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
There are several ways that we can engage with a character - eg what they think, what they say and what they do. At least one of these has to be interesting, but not necessarily all three. And it's particularly useful if the "do" part of the story is strong.

Our main character is in the house that everyone says is haunted. Don't go in the locked room at the top of the creaking stairs. That's where, you know, that thing happened.

That's what everyone says. Don't go in the locked room. Except we can hear scratching sounds coming from upstairs, like a fingernail on wood. Maybe we should go upstairs and find out...

And that's the point where real life and fiction diverge. In real life, you'd probably say "nah, it's just the wind" and get the heck out of there. But in fiction, your character simply has to go take a look.

In real life, people have doubts and fears. They may struggle with shyness in large groups of people. And, because of that shyness they don't interact with others and they miss out on adventures that other people have.

In fiction, we need to get our characters doing interesting stuff ... somehow. They don't have to be the life and soul of the party, but they do need to be interesting. And go take a peak inside that locked door.

Status
Not open for further replies.