• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Just ran into this Open Source Novel Writer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been talked about but I'm knocking it around to see if it's better then the stuff you pay for :)

http://www.bibisco.com/en

The investment in novel writing software is trivial compared to the time and effort invested in using it, and the commitment of your data to it. Most of the best SW (WriteWay Professional, Scrivener, Storyist) is under seventy bucks. That's nothing compared to the value if it does the job for you and happens to match how you want to work.

A fixation on free, compared to spending fifty or sixty bucks, is an inordinate fixation on the irrelevant. All the paid software worth considering has a trial period - if it's the right stuff for you, the cost isn't enough to make a difference. If it isn't, and it was free, it's still the wrong stuff.

Fitch

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'd trust writing software from someone who doesn't even spell check their website content before posting it...

I am a fan of writing software, though, but only for organization purposes. Scrivener is great for that. Before I had Scrivener, I would spend a lot of time hunting through my horrible messes of files for notes and scrolling through 100k documents looking for that one particular scene. But I certainly don't need a computer program to give me "ideas" (however that even works).

:cry:

xAP7Byw.png

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with getting it to run - I'll wait until my hubby appears and see if he can work it out. It does run on Linux though - which ywriter doesn't (or didn't) so it might be worth a try.

I've used a variety of OpenSource Software for 12 years now and it is usually fine.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I personally don't use any writing software. Part of it is because the way I write does not lend itself to most programs; part of it is that I am too lazy to learn new things until I'm forced to.

But I will say that many of the published and reasonably well known novelists that I know use Scrivener and find it incredibly useful, if not vital to their writing. So I wouldn't necessarily dismiss any software writing program out of hand as being a wasteful or useless "shortcut."

This. I'm the same way as RC, but process is a very personal thing, and something that is a waste of time or a frustration for one person might be useful for another.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The investment in novel writing software is trivial compared to the time and effort invested in using it, and the commitment of your data to it. Most of the best SW (WriteWay Professional, Scrivener, Storyist) is under seventy bucks. That's nothing compared to the value if it does the job for you and happens to match how you want to work.

A fixation on free, compared to spending fifty or sixty bucks, is an inordinate fixation on the irrelevant. All the paid software worth considering has a trial period - if it's the right stuff for you, the cost isn't enough to make a difference. If it isn't, and it was free, it's still the wrong stuff.

Fitch

I don't think anyone is fixated on the free, but there's no reason not to consider a free program. Sometimes they are better than ones you pay for, and the cost of paid programs most certainly is enough to make a severe difference to some people. A lot of people out there, particularly writers, live hand to mouth, and simply have zero extra money to spend on any program, however good. There's nothing trivial about spending even a dollar, when you don't have a dollar to spare.

In the software world, you don't always get better because you pay for it. I'm not fixated on free. I buy MS office, and upgrade it regularly. But I do like free, and I have several free programs that are better, easier to use, and more versatile, than their paid counterparts. I've learned to try out free, if it looks at all useful. Saving money is a good thing, whether or not you can afford something expensive.

I do use trial periods for paid software, but I also give free software the same chance. It's the only way to make a comparison.

CASD57

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.earthlytraveler.com
I've tried a lot of these and even cloud based, Like Hive, Fastpencil..etc.., For cloud based I like fastpencil but I feel a lot better if my writing is in my computer then out in space, So I prefer downloaded programs, plus they seem to be better equipped then the cloud based ones,
Yes I have and use Scrivener, Ywriter5, Writeway, WriteitNow, I've tried StoryBox2, Ostorybook, Judoom,Plume Creator, and many others, I guess I'm always looking for a diamond in the rough, Oh and Yes I write daily :)

chats

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for a program that ran on both Linux and Windows and came across Bibisco. I also downloaded Trelby, and tried it for a few minutes. I'm currently using yWriter, and I love the way it helps me stay organised and focussed. But I haven't been able to install it on my Linux machine as yet.
I wanted to try a program that would run natively on both Windows and Linux, and both Trelby and Bibisco do that. yWriter supposedly runs too, but it takes a bit of tinkering. Anyway, yWriter's a great program, but it looks dated.
I was downloading Bibisco and was looking for reviews when I came across this thread. It looks to be a new program and there don't seem to be many people using it.

It's written in Java, and the developer has included the runtime in the package, making it easier to run, but at the cost of the file size.
I think it stores the novel in an SQLlite database, that is present in the Bibisco folder, and has not (in the 15 minutes I've been using it) attempted to establish any network connections.

It's got a very nice layout, and I find it more intuitive than yWriter. It guides you through your writing, and I like that.
While the interface isn't polished, it's got a nice modern (but incomplete) feel.

I've barely used it, and can't comment on it's stability, but it lets you export your writing to a rtf file that you can open in any word processor, so as long as you do that often, you're safe should he program suddenly stop working. But since it's using a common database as it's backend, even if you don't do an export, and the program is suddenly unusable, your data should be recoverable.

A major downside (for me) is that it doesn't let you choose your save folder. I like to save all my documents in a folder that I can keep synced online, and with Babisco, I'll be doing that manually.

It's also got a bit of a lag when I use the text editor, which will take some getting used to.

It looks very promising, and I'm going to try it for a while, even though it needs polish.

Last edited:

JB Hare

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. Should I feel like a dinosaur just using Word?

Status
Not open for further replies.