I need recs for romances written in alternate 1st person POV (heroine) AND 3rd person POV (hero)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
One of my current wips wants to be written with the heroine in first person POV and the hero in third person, alternate chapters. It's just flowing this way. I tried to write both charactersin 1st, then both in 3rd, because I worry this is not going to be saleable to any publisher. However, forcing the other's POV didn't work. My lass wants to be a 1st person narrator and the lad is happy and flowing in 3rd. Can anybody recommend a romance where this has been done so I can give it a read?
Thanks!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
¡Que coincidencia! I'm writing one exactly like this: hers in first person past, his in third. If you like, DM me and I'll send you a couple of chapters. Maybe it will work for you, maybe not.

I, too, tried to force it into her POV third person, but she just wasn't having it. She's not particularly a kickass heroine, but she's got opinions and she was quite firm about this.

That said, I don't have this aimed any particular platform yet. I may self-pub once I get it bashed completely into shape.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I recently read one. Not Until You, by Roni Loren (it's EroRom w/BDSM themes). I was worried at the first line of chapter 2 because it started as 1P/FMC and then switched to 3P/MMC. But within a few lines, I got right into it. It surprised the heck out of me. :)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
¡Que coincidencia! I'm writing one exactly like this: hers in first person past, his in third. If you like, DM me and I'll send you a couple of chapters. Maybe it will work for you, maybe not.

I, too, tried to force it into her POV third person, but she just wasn't having it. She's not particularly a kickass heroine, but she's got opinions and she was quite firm about this.

That said, I don't have this aimed any particular platform yet. I may self-pub once I get it bashed completely into shape.

PMing right now, thanks!

And ElaineA, I'm off to look up that book, thank you for the rec. Lots of reading to do this weekend.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
So glad you mentioned doing this. I'm struggling with the same set up. First person for the heroine. Third for the hero. I wrote the first draft that way, but something felt wrong, so I'm trying it with third for both characters. It flows well either way. Time to put it a beta's hands.

Thanks for that rec, ElaineA! A sizzling kinky read sounds perfect for summer!

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
It's not classified as Romance with a capital R, but Beatriz Williams's upcoming release, Tiny Little Thing, is written this way. And it's awesome.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Coming to this post late to the party, but you might also look at Maggie Shayne's Brown and deLuca series - first is Sleep with the Lights On. Rachel is a rather snarky reluctant heroine who doles out self help advice she claims she doesn't really believe and argues with her 'inner bitch'...and struggles with a potential relationship with sexy Detective Brown while they chase down a serial killer. Oh, and she has an eerie connection to the serial killer. But I digress. Kind of fun to see their relationship progress throughout the series.

Anyhoo, three cheers for the 1st / 3rd POV switching!! I did the same thing with my romance that I'm polishing here to sub (mutters "soon"), and I plan to do it with some PNRs I have in the works. For me, it works to have that close connection with the heroine and be right in the midst of her thoughts, then switch out to the hero's point of view. Having him in third person gives not only a little distance, but also perspective on the heroine - plays a bit with reader response theory and how you interpret characters' actions. Or at least that's how I justify it to myself. :greenie

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, tiddlywinks, now you're making me regret switching my 1st/3rd to 3rd only. That Maggie Shayne looks right up my alley. Thanks for the rec!

Status
Not open for further replies.