MayNoWriMo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's May where I am, and that means new goals!

For me, it'll be:

1. Make some progress on edits for Black Book.
2. Get a fair bit of Little House written.
3. Get my website/business completely sorted out.
4. Get at least 1 client (I know this is mostly out of my control...).

So yeah. That's it.

What are your goals this month? They can be anything!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I guess I should get in on this considering I need something to hold me accountable for finishing my stuff.

So, May goals:
1) Finish WIP or at least add 30k, whichever comes first.
2) Write 1 short story for the Arches collection.
3) Get the cover design for Space Goat figured out.

Ookiewookie

Registered
Reaction score
I have 41,500 words written in in my WIP.

May has 21 weekdays. If I set a goal of just 500 words per weekday, I could bring my total word count up to 52,000.

Achievable, no? Somebody please tell this slow-poke writer she can do it. :)

Ookiewookie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I've had a bad case of writer's block lately. Lots of sitting and staring at a blank screen. But, today, I woke up with inspiration that yielded over 600 words. It felt pretty darn good. Not prolific yet, but plugging away again.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Finish 2nd draft (about 10k words).

Complete 3rd draft grammar/word choice revisions.

Characters and plot are in great shape after 2nd draft. Need to flesh out the world more. Some of my scenes are written with tunnel vision. /sigh.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I'll hop in here, too.

1. Finish first draft of current WIP. This is my camp novel and probably the biggest mess I've EVER written. And that's saying something.

2. Finish rewrites on next book in self-pubbed series. I've been dragging my feet on this for months. Already commissioned the cover art, and it's just sitting there.

3. Do the line edits for the book as well.

4. Finish reading the 10 or so books I've started and set aside because I got bored, or had to return them to the library, or something else was more interesting...

5. Finish edits for my agent, which is actually sort of out of my hands, because I have to wait until she sends suggestions before I can fix them. But hope to have it done by the end of May.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I only have a single week-long gig to deal with this month - the rest of the time I'm between projects (actorspeak for "unemployed"). I swear I'm going to use this time to finish this first draft if it kills me. Like TAMaxwell, I'm guesstimating 30k words to finish, but I'm hoping it comes in shorter than that because it's way too long already. It's got a mess of fat to carve out, but that'll come in the second round.

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 141,000 out of 171,000
Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series - 0 of 1
Write a blog post - 0 of 1
Read three books - 0 of 3

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
It's going to be a rather crazy month coming up, but I think these are pretty feasible:

1) Write at least 10k in current WIP
2) Two blog posts
3) Read 2 books (Well of Ascension and I'm not sure which yet for book #2)

Keeping it simple!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, May.

1. Edit four chapters UF.
2. Edit (finish editing) and actually submit two stories.
3. Finish Contemp Romance.
4. Read 6 books.
5. 500 words or 2 pages min/day

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
1) I want 4 blog posts. One per week.
2) I'd like to edit an older WIP. It's approximately 35K at the moment. And I need to add flesh to the bone. And I'd like to add at least 30K to that, if not more. Not sure if it's possible.
3) I'm working on a romance novel at the moment that is at 15K. I'd like to have the first draft done by the end of May. Knowing me that won't be much more than 35K. Since I for the life of me do not know how to do sub-plots or interesting supporting characters. I always just have a main plot that has no flesh and only bone.
4) And last but not least: a story a day. So 31 flash fictions between 500-1'000 words.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have three projects this month -

my Big WIP, for which I want to write 5000w/week,
my small wips, for which I'll be happy if I can do 1000w/week,
and my non-fiction work, for which I'm currently transcribing source material so I have it later for good reference. I want to do 2000w/week with that.

'Buon Lavoro' as they say, to everyone this month!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Okay... there are goals to be made!

• Complete Camp Nano MS
  • Apply SK edits CH 3-7
  • Crit Beta Project opens
  • Finalize SK query
  • Find 10 Agents to sub to and make a big old list

Current MS probably has 10K to go, maybe. It's going to end up short, I just know it.

The rest of this list scares the heck out of me.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Right, trying to make this realistic again :)

• Finish short story revisions, and send it in
  • Begin work on L2 rewrite
  • Finish working through The Artist's Way

And... I'll keep it to three this this time.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I had planned to be doing edits for the MS I had planned to finish up during Camp, but alas, that did not happen...not even close. Haha.

So I'm carrying that goal over to this month, to finish the MS. And I also really want to enter the Beta Swap, so hopefully if I get my submission in on time that'll give me even more of a push to get the MS done.

Good news is I've got a better idea of how I need to start the opening. Bad news is I'M kind of bored with it. Need to think some more. It's currently lacking conflict (until the end of the section)...but it's supposed to be that way. But it does make for a lackluster beginning. Sigh.

And I already know a lot of people are going to recognize which one will be my submission. Haha.

Goals:
1) Complete submissions for Beta Swap.
2) Finish story.

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
Phew. My goal had been to finish almost half of my first draft during Camp NaNoWriMo, but April threw some truly unexpected, harrowing challenges my way, and I came out with only half of that. However!

My original self-imposed deadline for Draft 1 was May 25th. That may or may not be realistic considering how much I have to go, but still, my main goal for this month will be finishing Draft 1. (Currently have a little over 18k out of a projected 85k, at least.)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I had planned to be doing edits for the MS I had planned to finish up during Camp, but alas, that did not happen...not even close. Haha.

So I'm carrying that goal over to this month, to finish the MS. And I also really want to enter the Beta Swap, so hopefully if I get my submission in on time that'll give me even more of a push to get the MS done.

Good news is I've got a better idea of how I need to start the opening. Bad news is I'M kind of bored with it. Need to think some more. It's currently lacking conflict (until the end of the section)...but it's supposed to be that way. But it does make for a lackluster beginning. Sigh.

And I already know a lot of people are going to recognize which one will be my submission. Haha.

Goals:
1) Complete submissions for Beta Swap. Complete.
2) Finish story.

Woohoo! My first Complete! Even if it was just a first draft... :D

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd really, really, REALLY like to finish my Ghost Girl manuscript once and for all. I'm a little over 59K. My goal is 70K, but I've been thinking with everything I want to include in the story that I might have to go up to 80K. So, at the most, I need another 21K. A thousand each day with a week full of editing. I know it's doable, but I just hope that I actually can do it.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spent a big chunk of yesterday and today pulling together the music for my upcoming gig and trying to get it in some kind of logical order, as well as finishing up a beta read for a fellow AWer. All told, I'd rather have been writing. I got a wee bit done, and since I have most of the day to myself tomorrow, I'm hoping to get this particular scene finished and move forward.

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 141,118 out of 171,000
Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series - 0 of 1
Write a blog post - 0 of 1
Read three books - 0 of 3

chompers

Registered
Reaction score

Alright! Good going! :Hug2:
Haha, thanks! But it's pretty bad. No joke. I typed it in 1 1/2 hours and didn't get a chance to edit. So most everything in it was whatever came out of my head first go (first couple of sentences had been written a long time ago). In hindsight, I probably should have just waited until next year with another story since this one is in such a rough state. Haha. Oh, well, it's already done. C'est la vie!

And yeah! I just turned in all my critiques. I'm on top of things this month! Haha.

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I have successfully managed to both not write more than a sentence a night and not catch up on much needed sleep.

Instead, I went on Facebook. I thought I blocked myself from that site.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have successfully managed to both not write more than a sentence a night and not catch up on much needed sleep.

Instead, I went on Facebook. I thought I blocked myself from that site.

Beyond my proclaimed "I've been busy with other things" excuse above, I think I may be suffering from post-Camp lag. I could have made more time to write yesterday but I spent it piddling around on the interwebs.