Complete Newbe in need of help

DrewBurton50

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a complete newbe on this forum and a complete novice to book writing and have come here to humbly seek help.
I have just finished a draft of my first book which I have written using ms Word 2013 (.docx) after jumping into the task without any worthwhile previous experience of book writing or, in fact, ms Word. My goal is to publish my work in digital format with Amazon and perhaps Kobo and Google Play. Again, my knowledge relating to this is negligible.
In spite of my ignorance, after doing a test conversion of my book to Epub (I own a Kobo Aura) using Calibre, I was pleasantly surprised at the result. The book rendered very well IMO. The layout, index etc. where perfectly acceptable to me however.............the images that I have included were all over the place :(
When I was writing my book, I wrote my text in the way I wished the final draft to appear and inserted images/diagrams of varying sizes and formats into my office document and then resized them to suit my format within the document. Unfortunately (?), when I converted my document to epub, the images did not appear anything like the way that I wanted them to be :( and after reading further It has become apparent to me that these images should have, perhaps, been resized before inserting them into my document.
To cut rather a long story short, could any of you good people out there point me in the right direction as to the best (least time consuming) way to resolve my issue. If I do have to remove my images, resize them, then return them to my document, I need to know which tools perform this process and would probably need a bit of guidance and/or instruction. Better still, if there is a simple tool out which will perform the task for me, I would very much like to know what it is.
I would much appreciate any help and guidance that anybody here is prepared to give me.
Thanks for listening.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with the images? Are they too big / distorted / in the wrong position / is the colour wrong?

If you need to resize any images you can use this free website.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You need to resize the images.

Also, to be honest, the only way to really control the layout of images in either epub or kindle books is to use html.

But resizing them before you add them to MSWord will help.

I'm sorry; I know this is frustrating.

Last edited:

DrewBurton50

Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with the images? Are they too big / distorted / in the wrong position / is the colour wrong?

If you need to resize any images you can use this free website.

Thanks for your reply, I loaded various shapes, sizes and formats of images into my document then naively shrunk them to size within word 2013 assuming that, when converted they would remain as I sized them however, after conversion, some seem ok, some only show parts of the image....
I guess I'll have to remove my images and resize them accordingly somehow before re-inserting them into my document.
I'll have a look at the tool that you linked me to, thanks but, I'm guessing this stuff is way out of my comfort zone :(

DrewBurton50

Registered
Reaction score
You need to resize the images.

Also, to be honest, the only way to really control the layout of images in either epub or kindle books is to use html.

But resizing them before you add them to MSWord will help.

I'm sorry; I know this is frustrating.

Thanks for your reply. I will try to figure out how to resize my images before re-inserting them back into my document but, unfortunately I have no experience of this. As for working with html, very much the same problem.
Time to start educating my self I think.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have a look at the tool that you linked me to, thanks but, I'm guessing this stuff is way out of my comfort zone :(
Na, it's really easy to use:

resize_A.jpg

1) load the image from your PC

2) click continue

resize_B.jpg

3) select the size- You can select 50% etc or enter in your own resolution.
The current resolution is displayed alongside that for your information. The example above is 1920 x 1080 pixels, so half that size would be 960 x 540 etc, but like I said, you can just select 50% from the drop down menu.

4) click to save the image back to your PC

:) See, simple right.

DrewBurton50

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again. I guess I'm just a little negative. Looking at at it displayed like that, I should be able to do what I need with a bit of trial and error. :)

SamjBowden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samuelbowden.com
I believe if you use proper word wraps in Word 2013, that you will be able to save it as a PDF, and then use it for kindle. There isn't really a way to push PDF images around, or resize them. Unless the PDF page is bigger than the digital book page.

DrewBurton50

Registered
Reaction score
I believe if you use proper word wraps in Word 2013, that you will be able to save it as a PDF, and then use it for kindle. There isn't really a way to push PDF images around, or resize them. Unless the PDF page is bigger than the digital book page.

Thanks for this. I'm having a few days off from my new career as a book writer but I will most definitely give this a try.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Using a PDF to generate an ebook is less than ideal, frankly.

We have a number of FAQs about ebook production in the Publishing FAQs and Resources. There's also an entire section devoted to Self-Publishing, including making ebooks.

namejohn

Registered
Reaction score
digtal book

The website smashwords.com has the book Smashwords Stlye Guide as a free download. It emphsizes making an ebook of the filetype, doc. It has other information that can be helpful when making an ebook also.
kdp.amazon.com is where an ebook can be put onto amazon.