poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Videos show BART officer slamming down intoxicated woman

Newly released videos show a BART police officer slamming an intoxicated woman to the ground at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin, an incident that she says in a federal lawsuit broke her teeth and bones in her face and left her unconscious in a pool of blood.

The confrontation that injured model and bartender Megan Sheehan, 28, of Pleasant Hill last year was captured on body cameras worn by two Oakland police officers, as well as a jail surveillance camera.

The videos — released by Sheehan’s attorney — show BART police Officer Nolan Pianta throwing Sheehan to the ground of the jail lobby so hard that the impact caused an audible sound. A bystander in the lobby exclaimed, “Ooh.”

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Video-shows-BART-officer-slamming-down-6229625.php

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I realize that it takes a long, long time for signals to travel through the massive beast that is the state, but you'd think by now even the tail would have gotten the message from the brain. "Hey, we're under almost constant observation now, and being stupidly violent is no longer an option."

Hello... Body Cams... Unwarranted Violence... Nonstop stories in the news.

What part of that combination are the members of the thin blue line having trouble getting their heads around?

Or do they just not care, because they know the system has their back, no matter what they do?

It's almost like it's gotten egregious as a warning to anybody else who might think of challenging a cop.

Last edited:

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would be comical if it wasn't so horrible. Three huge cops surrounding the dangerous, hair-tie wielding, urine-soaked, tiny drunk girl.

I realize the job of dealing with her would be unpleasant. Perhaps some core police training should focus on "the suppression of ego for the greater good."

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
“I used an arm bar takedown and guided her to the ground."

Guided her to the ground? That's the turn of phrase this guy is going with? Really?

They are coached in how to describe altercations.

BANG! BANG! BANG! "Stop resisting!" BANG! BANG! BANG!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Last year, I believe it was, I posted a story about a cuffed woman led into a cell in a Chicago-area booking center. The woman was shoved across the cell into a concrete bench along the far wall. Even in the fuzzy camera view, you can watch the blood pool under her face.

And there were still people in the force and in the union defending this guy.

I believe in good officers. I believe they are, by far, the majority. But I put these officers, the ones in these videos, at the same "thug" level as the store looters.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
It would be comical if it wasn't so horrible. Three huge cops surrounding the dangerous, hair-tie wielding, urine-soaked, tiny drunk girl.

I was being sarcastic.

Most police work is unpleasant. Cops don't get called to guide some bride to the altar, they don't get called to cheer on the slow kid on the team. But they do not get to forget that in front of them, there is an equal, possibly distressed/distraught, fragile human being, whether it's a 6-year-old boy our proud Israeli police arrested (God kill me now, this is so embarrassing), or a huge 500 lbs steroid-popping trucker dude. Force should be in proportion with threat, not whatever is available. So you got a gun, so you know how to twist arms, that's lovely, doesn't mean you have to...

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic.
My post wasn't directed at yours, but I can see how it might seem to have been. But it really wasn't. I understood what you meant by "Funny how..." :)