The Man who Folded Himself [By David Gerrold]

infinitefrank

Padawan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitefrank.weebly.com
This is my all-time favorite book...of all time, and influences the way I write and look at science fiction. I am a science fiction writer and Gerrold's writing style is a perfect mix of action and philosophy. I don't think it was a very popular book, nor have I even read any other of Gerrold's other novels.

Has anyone ever read this gem?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
David Gerrold? Author of the famous "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode from the original Star Trek series? I had no idea he wrote novels. I'll have to look it up.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's published a pretty long list of novels. I believe he's still writing and publishing.

I remember liking "The Man Who Folded Himself" and "When Harlie Was One" 25+ years ago when I last read them. Not sure how well I'd think they held up. "Harlie", in particular, being about a computer that gains sentience, probably feels very dated due to where the state of the art has moved.

infinitefrank

Padawan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitefrank.weebly.com
mrsmig said:
David Gerrold? Author of the famous "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode from the original Star Trek series? I had no idea he wrote novels. I'll have to look it up.

The very same and please read it, it's an amazing book!

Introversion said:
I remember liking "The Man Who Folded Himself" and "When Harlie Was One" 25+ years ago when I last read them. Not sure how well I'd think they held up. "Harlie", in particular, being about a computer that gains sentience, probably feels very dated due to where the state of the art has moved.

SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER!

Time belts will never become unfashionable ;)

eyeblink said:
Hugo and Nebula nominee in its day. (It lost both to Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.)

I do remember seeing the nomination praise ribbons on the cover of the book, but what I meant by popular was that I've never met anyone else who ever read it or even has heard of it. Personally I think it should have won both the awards :p

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
(some spoilers in this post)

OMG I LOVE THAT BOOK. :D :D :D

*dances around remembering reading it*

I love using it as an example of a book with only 1 main character, too!

You know, this is so funny. I had actually forgotten who the author was, and I have a sort of deep-seated insecurity of not being well-read in SFF, even though I've been reading SFF my entire life, because I feel like I haven't read enough of the "classic" authors and old-school awards nominees and such. Like, I know who Gerrold is now because of reading what he says online in SFF fandom, but if someone had asked me if I'd read him, I would have said no, even though I FREAKIN' LOVED THIS BOOK.

(Same thing happened with Heinlein, incidentally. I got the "What! You haven't read Heinlein?!" from someone in college, and was embarrassed, but it turned out I had -- I just hadn't been in "fandom" enough to realize I should remember his name. ;) I read The Man Who Folded Himself pretty randomly out of the science fiction library in college, and since the SF library was huge :)D), I'm always surprised when a book I picked up off the shelf turns out to have been well-known. (I picked up Diana Wynne Jones and Harry Harrison randomly off the shelf there, too, which, WHAT.))

So this is a good reminder to me now that I am more in fandom-at-large that I've probably hit more of the canon than I think I have. :D

Anyway, thanks for bringing up this book, infinitefrank! I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. It's one of the most creative uses of time travel I have ever seen. And it boggles me that this book isn't more talked about, especially considering it did well -- I recommend it a lot and have never run into someone else to squee about on it, and when people say who Gerrold is they always reference Star Trek instead of "THAT'S THE GUY WHO WROTE THE MAN WHO FOLDED HIMSELF!! READ IT RIGHT NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T." :roll: (Can you tell I love this book!)

Anyway, one of the things that I love thinking about is how the story could really have been told with equal "legitimacy" from any of the Dans' perspectives -- there's no way of saying which is the "real" him. It's funny to think about how different a book that would be while still being the same book. It also could have been told from any of the Dianes' perspectives and been The Woman Who Folded Herself -- I wonder how differently that would have read to people, despite the fact that the story itself makes such a telling equally legitimate!

Okay, I'll shut up now. I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. Now I want to reread it, dammit. My god, my city's library system only has one copy, and it's in the Reference Section instead of circulation! WHY ARE MORE PEOPLE NOT STILL READING THIS BOOK. *cries*

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
the best and worst series

A great author. The War Against the Chtorr was one of the great series, for just the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately, he worked the reader up to a high note of suspense, then left the world hanging after three novels. My friends and I waited and waited, but as far U know, he never completed the series. I suspect being unable to complete messed up his writing for quite some time. Writer's block, an argument with his publisher, or he painted himself into a plot corner. Years later, he did a fourth, but by then I'd moved on. A quote from an Amazon review said it best.

"In the 30 years that I've been reading Science Fiction, This series has been one of the most interesting, exciting, and riveting of anything by any author, ever. It has also been one of the most disappointing reads of all."

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=721015

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Back in the 1980s, there used to be a group who called themselves Industrial Plight and Tragic - they went to a lot of Star Trek Conventions in the UK, and made a speciality of entering the fancy dress parade using whatever they could find around the hotel (a USS Enterprise made from a hotel trolley for collecting laundry was one of theirs). When David Gerrold was the main guest, they did a skit using vast amounts of toilet paper to turn themselves into the Chtorr, with the narration: "This is Daddy Chtorr, this is Mummy Chtorr, and the one with the beard is Baby Chtorr...."