Test Your Current Events Knowledge Vs. Americans

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
11/12 - I knew the justices but, although I know a bit about Elizabeth Warren, I don't recall ever seeing a picture of her.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got 9.

I knew there were two women on the Supreme Court but didn't remember the third one.

I never knew where Pope Francis was born, and didn't care.

I couldn't identify a pic of Elizabeth Warren. I'm not upset I missed that question considering I haven't watched news on tv in years and I stick with text when I read news on the Internet.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Another Canadian here and I got 10/12.

I missed the graph question and Elizabeth Warren. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her and I chose the only picture I recognized, which was the last - and that's only because she's been on The Daily Show!

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
11/12 - I knew the justices but, although I know a bit about Elizabeth Warren, I don't recall ever seeing a picture of her.

Same here. I live in Los Angeles, and I'm a Republican. Am I expected to know what Elizabeth Warren looks like? I guess she'd better get more exposure if she's going to run for President. ;)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
11 of 12 ( Thought there were still four women on Supreme Court)

High school graduate, so it shocked me just how low the high school graduate percentages were. Sad... :(

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Canadian, and I got 10/12, though some of those were rather lucky guesses...

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
11/12. Wrong on size of Republican Senate majority. And maybe it's just the different media some of us watch, but I see Elizabeth Warren on something almost daily. Not being critical of those who didn't recognize her, just surprised.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I got 10/12. Though, admittedly, I guessed on the first question with the line through the U.S. because I wasn't sure. I just narrowed it down to what made the most sense.

I missed the Elizabeth Warren question because I don't think I've seen a picture of her before. I also missed the SCOTUS one.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
None of y'all had looked her up before to see if she looked Native American in the least ;) ?

That story was when she would have hit Fox News, I'm sure.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
12/12--the only one that stumped me for a second was the Senate question. And I'm from the Northeast (from New York) (and went to college in Boston, so I have still ties there), so of course, I'm contractually obligated to know who Sonia Sotomayor and Elizabeth Warren are.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna know the answers to the Canadian quiz.

By popular demand!

Now, which came first: Louisbourg or Plains of Abraham?

Louisbourg. General Wolfe had to make some inroads on the path to Quebec City. The capitulation of the French on the Plains of Abraham resulted in the loss of Quebec for France.

Where is James Bay?

On the south-southeastern end of the Hudson Bay.

What was the last province to join confederation? For bonus marks: which was the first western province to join confederation and why was that important to American political geography?

Newfoundland was the last province. Nunavut is the newest territory. British Columbia was the first province west of Ontario to join Canada. If I recall correctly, there were land disputes in the Kootenay Gold Rush (from which the song "Young Man from Canada" comes.) The initial conflicts resulted in a few disputed territories and I believe there is a small sliver of land that is perhaps still in dispute near Vancouver.

Where does the Canadian shield begin? +.5 if you know what it's made of.

The Shield is made from old stone, I know that much. Geology, as opposed to geography, is a weak point. The province includes Hudson sedimentary basin (Attawapiskat, Moose Factory, Churchill), the rocky lake country of northern Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and Quebec. It also contains a bit of Yooper Country in Michigan and the northern end of Minnesota. In Ontario, there are fingers of fertile sedimentary soils just northwest of Ottawa but quickly turns into the Ottawa fault-line there.

Where did John Cabot first make land, and does he predate Columbus?

Columbus never made it to Canada, I believe. There is the possibility of Basque fishers landing on the Avalon Peninsula but the only confirmed finds are from the early 16th century, I believe. Anyways, Cabot landed somewhere on the Avalon Peninsula, I believe. 1498. Cartier landed in Quebec in 1504, if I remember correctly.

When did Canada get its own constitution? (Bonus if you know what major event precipitated that, and no, it's not the War of 1812 or the American Revolution.)

In 1982. The October Crisis was largely the biggest event that prompted Trudeau to hurry the patriation of the Canadian Constitution. Other events included the work of Pearson during the Centennial and the MacMillan's famous Winds of Change speech.