Test Your Current Events Knowledge Vs. Americans

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I got 11/12. I missed the Senators question. I knew which had the majority but couldn't remember the exact numbers.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
12/12. Similar observations to robvowels on the most-missed questions. (Though add in that I found it interesting both female-centric questions confounded quite a few people, but that could be because Warren isn't widely known outside the US.)

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
10/12 for me. I missed the Pope question, which I'm fine with, but I'm sad I also missed the SCOTUS question. Of course, Ginsberg is the only current SCOTUS member I know, so I suppose that had something to do with it...

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's interesting to see which question garnered the fewest correct responses.

I'm surprised at the percentage of people who got that one right, actually -- I would have expected it to be lower. I'm betting quite a few guessed and got lucky. According to a nationwide study, two-thirds of Americans couldn't name a single one. (Note: click on the link after you take the quiz, since it could give an answer away.)

I'm guessing that most would have fared far worse on a quiz like this if it were not multiple choice.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
9/12, failed the ones on supreme courts and whatnot. Probably not a surprise that a non-American would have no idea about those questions.

Last edited:

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
12/12.

Had to think about the senate for a bit, though.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Brit here with 8/12.
Couldn't figure why you'd need health insurance to file taxes, but maybe for driving a dangerous metal box I thought you might. Got Guantanamo wrong. Was sure it was either 2 or 3 women in the Supreme Court and guessed wrong. And like Heza, I knew the Republicans held the majority in the Senate, but not by how much.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Brit here with 8/12.
Couldn't figure why you'd need health insurance to file taxes, but maybe for driving a dangerous metal box I thought you might.

It's part of the requirement under Obamacare to be covered by a qualifying health insurance plan. People that aren't covered and don't buy one have to pay a penalty that is added to their income taxes.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
This was interesting, but would be a lot more so if it tested on more global issues, or even properly North American-wide questions.

Credit to Xelebes for being Canadian and still getting 12/12. There's a tendency for us to get inundated with U.S. news and current events, though, which makes some sense as they do impact us quite a bit.

Now, which came first: Louisbourg or Plains of Abraham?

Where is James Bay?

What was the last province to join confederation? For bonus marks: which was the first western province to join confederation and why was that important to American political geography?

Where does the Canadian shield begin? +.5 if you know what it's made of.

Where did John Cabot first make land, and does he predate Columbus?

When did Canada get its own constitution? (Bonus if you know what major event precipitated that, and no, it's not the War of 1812 or the American Revolution.)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
1. No idea

2. That nobbly bit at the south end of Hudson Bay?

3. Newfoundland was the last. Maybe Manitoba? And um, because it established the 49th parallel? Just a guess.

4. Canada (lol). It's a Precambrian shield, so, um, is it old metamorphic rock and granite and basalt? I did geology 13 years ago.

5. Newfoundland? I don't know. I don't think he predates Columbus.

6. 1867, I think. Probably wrong. Commonwealth constitutional history is complicated.

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
9/12. I resent being shoved into the 30-49 group just because I'm 30 now! I'm still young!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
11/12 Not bad for someone across the pond

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got 11/12, but only because I fat-fingered "South" instead of "North" Korea.

That, and I remembered what incurring the wrath of Kim Jong Un did to Seth Rogan and James Franco.

:chair

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
To my surprise, I got 12/12. The women justices I remembered because I saw a FB posting somewhere about them. Otherwise I would have guessed there are 2 not 3.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
This was interesting, but would be a lot more so if it tested on more global issues, or even properly North American-wide questions.

I've got a Canadian husband, so this should be easy.

Now, which came first: Louisbourg or Plains of Abraham?
Plains of Abraham sounds biblical, so that must be it.

Where is James Bay?
Probably at the bar. That's where the old bastard hangs out most of the time.

What was the last province to join confederation? For bonus marks: which was the first western province to join confederation and why was that important to American political geography?
Yukon and Quebec, which is important because it produced Patrice Bergeron.

Where does the Canadian shield begin?
Lake Ontario.

+.5 if you know what it's made of.
Poutine. It's never been breached.

Where did John Cabot first make land, and does he predate Columbus?
Vancouver Island in 15,000 BC, in a raft made from discarded Timbits.

When did Canada get its own constitution? (Bonus if you know what major event precipitated that, and no, it's not the War of 1812 or the American Revolution.)
1978, caused by the retirement of Bobby Orr.

So, how'd I do?