Horrotica

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good horror erotica? I originally wrote horror stories/screenplays and have recently been delving in erotica. Now I'm working on a novella that combines the two. I like to read up on similar stories/novels so not only do I get a good idea of what's on the market but also how the stories are put together (pacing, etc.) Every "horror" in the erotic section of Amazon isn't scary. They're more paranormal than horror. There are also gross horror stories with graphic sex that make me wonder if the authors know how women's bodies actually work. Again, they aren't scary, just gory.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want you to think we were ignoring you just because we couldn't recommend any horror erotica. I sold a short story that fits the bill to Three Crow Press, but it's not available any more. It was a lot of fun to write, too.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the story started with writing prompts here at AW, in which people voted on three items which had to appear in our stories. I remember it was a candle, rain, and, ah, something else. Later today maybe I can poke around SYW and see if an earlier version of what I sold is still around.

Maryn, who hasn't written another with horror

Edit: Found it here.

Last edited:

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want you to think we were ignoring you just because we couldn't recommend any horror erotica. I sold a short story that fits the bill to Three Crow Press, but it's not available any more. It was a lot of fun to write, too.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the story started with writing prompts here at AW, in which people voted on three items which had to appear in our stories. I remember it was a candle, rain, and, ah, something else. Later today maybe I can poke around SYW and see if an earlier version of what I sold is still around.

Maryn, who hasn't written another with horror

Edit: Found it here.

Thanks, Maryn! I appreciate that.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sold a short story that fits the bill to Three Crow Press, but it's not available any more. It was a lot of fun to write, too.
Ditto!

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Ellen Datlow's anthos often include sexy horror stories, not erotica, yet hot. She also edited Alien Sex, erotic science fiction.

Ramsey Campbell's Scared Stiff.
Anthos and/or stories by Thomas Roche, M. Christian, Michael Rowe (ed. of Queer Fear), Michael Thomas Ford.
Lucy Taylor is amazing, yet while sexually explicit, her work is often more disturbing than erotic.
Poppy Z. Brite.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have sold a little in this genre as well, but I can think of any classics of the genre I would recommend except perhaps some stories in the Alien Sex anthology, and a novel that I just cannot remember the name of that boggled my mind a little as a teen (a sexual blob alien that captured and amalgamated people into itself and they liked it).

RosyMaylor

Registered
Reaction score
What is your novella about? Erotic horror can be a lot of things. If it's not monsters, is it more true crime or mystery or suspense or a kidnapping or serial killer (with graphic sex)? I can probably recommend something if I know more what you're looking for! I've read a lot of erotic horror/dark erotica. There are definitely clear "types" of stories that readers search for, if that matters to you.

Yourg

Registered
Reaction score
I can't. Well, I'm not widely read. But how about Clive Barker? Read him at all? I suppose his stuff wouldn't be considered erotica, per se, though.

I like the idea of horrotica, anyway. :)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite. I will warn you though it's disturbing.

TuckerMcCallahan

Insufferable Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
I've published two erotic horrors. Better After Death went out of print on January 1 of this year, but if you want a copy I can email you a file. It's a zombie/necromancer novella. Black Feather is still available on Amazon. It's co-authored with Amber Marie (UK) and is a necro-shifter novel.

As far as who else to read, I agree with Brite and Barker. If you can find any I'd add old William Johnstone horror novels. His early works had some eye-popping eroticism, particularly Rockinghorse. I'd also recommend Tanith Lee, whose work is so exquisite she can make you writhe and cringe at the same time. And the awesome China Mieville. ("I want time to set me ugly and knotted with loss of you, marking me. I won't smooth you away. I can't say goodbye." See? my adolescent heart flutters!)

And for the sake of the goddess, don't leave off Mama Rice, Anne and Papa Lovecraft, H.P. I'd devour their respective collections.

Now with all that to read, when are you going to write? ;)

Cheers,
Tux

Tally

Registered
Reaction score
Website
remnants.spiritsoftheearth.net
I recently got done with Kraken and LOVED it. It's M/M erotic horror, by M. Caspian.

It was pretty much everything I want out of erotic horror. Disturbing at times, often skin-crawling with its determination to push the boundaries of what the human body is capable of, yet also with the suffocating and claustrophobic feeling of being trapped on this island you can't get off of, where everyone seems in on something but you just don't know what...but never losing its thread of eroticism and sensuality.

So yeah, freaky and erotic all at once. ♥

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! As for mine, it's a bit of the cliched "haunted house" trope but I hope it's genuinely scary, not just a rehash of derived plots. I'm only about 4k into it. I keep putting it aside to work on short stories with hard deadlines. It'll probably take at least a couple of months to finish it, given the distractions. The current title is Spooked but a friend jokingly refers to it as Ghost Thrusters.

Thanks again!