Wits end over video problem

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I need help narrowing down what might be causing my trouble. Just after I had a malware infection (a possible coincidence), my computer stopped playing most, but not all, video and streaming audio. For a while there I couldn't even see Instagram videos, but that seems to have resolved itself. I can watch Youtube, but, for example, I can't watch a video on the NFL Network website, or Game tracker on MLB (which is live pitch tracking, not video, but the problem is the same), or listen to the local radio station online, either the live streaming audio or podcasts.

Videos/audio always start, but within a few seconds they freeze and never recover. I'm assuming I have a problem with whatever program runs the video/audio on the websites I'm having difficulty with, I just don't know which program, or how to go about repairing it. Chrome automatically updates Flash, and Windows just downloaded a system update, I also have Kaspersky security and Ad-aware running in the background. I've cleaned the cache, history, etc. multiple times. I run Malware bytes every few days. The problem persists.

I have a relatively new (<3 year old) HP Envy running Windows and the problem exists on both Chrome and Firefox browsers. (Stupidly, I haven't opened IE, but I'm assuming it's the same there.)

Thanks, in advance, for any advice or direction. It's very much appreciated.

ETA: I just realized...add to the problem any website that runs video ads. Frex, Thesaurus.com crashes continually and I get the "Aw snap!" message from Chrome. It's an intermittent occurrence, though, when it comes to other sites.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to start with, completely uninstall Adobe Flash, then go to the Adobe site and re-install it. Updates don't necessarily fix glitched registry entries or corrupted DLLs.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> Windows just downloaded a system update

Update the graphics drivers. Make sure you get the latest. Keep checking if the drivers are more than six months old; it may take a week or more for the graphics drivers to match the latest Windows patch.

-cb

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
To both of you, thanks. I just got a message from Windows on restart that it had been "unable to install update automatically" which is strange since it's always done. Anyway, I see the graphics driver on the list. We'll see what happens after the update.

Also, I had already uninstalled Flash from Windows, but it's automatic as part of Chrome. When I go to reinstall, it says it's already there. :( Not sure how to deal with that within Chrome. Video/audio works fine on my Chromebook so it's something with the Envy.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Youtube uses html5 to play their videos, where as NFL uses Adobe flash, so like Angry guy, I would assume there's a problem there. The malware may have infected some core file that was deleted along with the infection.
have you tried repairing your windows installation?

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
have you tried repairing your windows installation?

Oh, this makes me teary-eyed. I don't have the discs! Why don't I have the discs? :( I shouldn't be messing with stuff like that anyway.

I had a problem with downloading the latest Windows update, too. Something's definitely wrong. When windows scanned for why the update problem, they found corrupted dll files plus other stuff. They fixed the stuff related to the download, but that won't help with the flash thing.

Thank you for the assist with narrowing down and why, ave. Appreciate it. Bottom line is this baby's gonna have to get some professional-level help.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this makes me teary-eyed. I don't have the discs! Why don't I have the discs? :( I shouldn't be messing with stuff like that anyway.

I had a problem with downloading the latest Windows update, too. Something's definitely wrong. When windows scanned for why the update problem, they found corrupted dll files plus other stuff. They fixed the stuff related to the download, but that won't help with the flash thing.

Thank you for the assist with narrowing down and why, ave. Appreciate it. Bottom line is this baby's gonna have to get some professional-level help.

It's an HP right, so is it a laptop? And / or did it never come with disks? The reason I'm asking is that most laptops have a small partition on the hard drive that stores the operating system, so you don't need disks. When you switch your laptop on, Press F11 repeatedly until it starts HP recovery. A recovery can take a long time, so be patient.
Warning, once you click ok, it will reset your laptop to its original factory settings and you will lose everything on your hard drive, so backup everything first.

Maybe try this first- go to start menu > programs > HP and run the support assistant. If you don't have it you can download it here. That may help diagnose any problems.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Also, you can download an ISO for whatever version you have and burn a disk yourself -- which might be preferable to getting factory-fresh bundled bloatware. LOL Just make sure you back up everything and have your Windows Key handy.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
At this point I can't download anything to solve the problem. I did a SFC scan and identified the corrupt files that windows can't fix. I've discovered it's a common issue, and there are fixes available, but I'm unable to download any of them, I suspect because some malware is in there deep. Fixes from both Windows and sysnative get marked as corrupt.

I do have the ability to reset the computer. As ave said, the program files exist in a partitioned space. Now I'm just being lazy about going thru and saving and backing up everything in 3 places. I don't need no stinkin Flash! *has tantrum* :cry:

Thank you all for your kind helpfulness and advice.

Katerina

Registered
Reaction score
Can you try Hitman Pro? http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/. You'd have to download it to a usb stick from another computer and then run it from there, I guess, since you say you're unable to download anything. It'll often get rid of bad stuff that other anti-malware programs miss.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
If you do have to start again from scratch (read: reformat and reinstall), consider investing in software like Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost. Both are drive-imaging programs - they take "photographs" of your computer at points in time, and allow you to roll back to those points.

E.g. after you've done your clean install, you take a drive image. Sometime later, you are infected by a virus and it wreaks havoc on your computer. You roll back to the drive image and it's literally like nothing happened.

It's a good secondary layer of backup in addition to file backups, and can get you out of a lot of problems. I've used drive images to get PCs back up and running just hours after catastrophic hardware failures.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Excellent advice, OSG. I use Carbonite online backup, and drive imaging is an option. I'll do it once I get this mess straightened out. Thank you for the head's up.