Status
Not open for further replies.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Was there a pay rate attached??
The Oni Press Editorial Team Talks Open Submissions, Diversity, and More

[...]working in creator-owned comics is not the same as work-for-hire. Nobody is getting rich from the get-go on original IP, so I would dissuade anyone who expects to get a payout or a huge page rate doing creator-owned books, especially if they’re new and have no pre-awareness or previous work under their belt.

But that said, different books have different budgets, and its a case-by-case basis. It all ultimately comes down to us being able to crunch numbers based on who is involved with the books, how well they can show they can or can’t use social media or in-real-life marketing to promote themselves and their work, and figuring out whether or not we think we can succeed with a given project in the direct market and the bookstore/library markets.

However, a pitch, and hopefully approval, is a start of a conversation. [...]

But to underscore the thing that will likely get the biggest reaction, we are looking at submissions from writers who do not have artists attached. Beyond pitches, we are also looking for portfolios from artists, including illustrators and colorists.

I've observed most established publishers don't accept scripts without artwork, so I don't think writers have much to lose by giving this a shot. The risk is pretty minimal; you can say no at anytime if the offer isn't acceptable, and you'll know at least one publisher thinks the idea/pitch has promise. Artists with their own idea or portfolio ought give it a shot too, in my opinion.

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
"No long form stories" was stipulated. So does that mean they're looking for one-shots?

Sorry if that's obvious and I'm being dumb. :p

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
One-shots and limited series (3-5 issues) probably.

Ron Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
well i got rejected, anyone else give it a go?

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I got rejected too. No biggie. There are other publishers.

voyager12

Registered
Reaction score
Is Oni Press still accepting submissions? Any other publishers that do similar stuff?

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Is Oni Press still accepting submissions?
Nope.
The submission periods will operate on a two-months open, two-months closed schedule. Our first submission period will be open from May 1st to June 30th.
The next submission period ought to be September.

Ron Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I got rejected too. No biggie. There are other publishers.

i kind of suspected my script wasn't there thing, but if you don't try...
there are othrs, yes, but all the others i tried wanted the art to go with it.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen it mentioned that they were looking for more lighthearted stuff, and most of what they got was dark and serious. Something to keep in mind for next time.

Mixtape

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't gotten a response as of yet, I know they now said 60 days instead of 30 for one. My comic was very lighthearted and fun

leolo

Registered
Reaction score
My pitch was rejected too... But I submitted a dark teenage fantasy..

It was my first rejection, so I'm eager to try again!

voyager12

Registered
Reaction score
We all make it sound like Onipress is the only game in town... Are there any comparable publishers?

Super_Duper

Jedi Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ninjamindcontrol.wordpress.com
voyager12, this was sort of a big deal because it is practically unheard of for a comic publisher to take pitches from writers that don't have an art team already put together. Usually, they want you to have your team in place and at least a handful of finished pages to show off. More often than not, they won't even look twice at you unless you already have a finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.