How Many Novels Did You Write Before You Got Published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I've lost count and I'm not published yet.

I didn't try to get any of them published due a combination of a lack of confidence and cluelessness about the publishing industry. They also weren't very good. (although they did get better over the years). It never occurred to me to count them.

I do intend on trying to get my current projects published though.

Last edited:

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
My third novel was the one that I got published. Although it didn't sell until eight years after I wrote it. And I'd been writing on and off for over eighteen years before I sold. So take that however you like. :)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
1 and 2/2... But it's the first one that found a publisher. Life sometimes moves in mysterious ways. So now I'm back to working on the sequel to Number 1 and the third one I'd started is on ice.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
My first one was published. Someday, when the rights revert to me, I might do a significant rewrite on it and its sequel, since I've learned so much since then and realize the story could be expanded and improved.

Marianne Kirby

Blue Hair, Don't Care
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xojane.com
The first one I took seriously sold within two weeks of being subbed by my agent. The rest (3) were NaNoWriMo projects I did just for fun -- there's a lot to be said for writing just because it's enjoyable. Those are also in a totally different genre than the one I wrote and then sent to my agent.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
I've only written one novel and I haven't done anything with it but I was considering sending it out just to see what happens. I tried rewriting some parts but I realized I didn't know if the changes I'd made were better than the original. It's got proper grammar, spelling, and a fast paced story so who knows? Maybe a publisher might say, "Just rewrite X and add Y and you've got a worthwhile story we'd be interested in publishing."

I know that it definitely won't get published if I don't send it in.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I've cheated.

I wrote two travel books, and those were published (ebooks). Now I've written four novels. The first two are submitted to the same publisher who carries my ebooks, and the other two are waiting in the wings.

Book 1 is a stand alone
Book 2 is the first in a trilogy that goes backwards (2 is a prequel of 1, 3 is a prequel of 2).

Writing my fifth now.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
First one is being published currently. I was in the middle of a rough draft for a second one when I got the deal.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I've written a total of three books. Self-published the first one and it went nowhere. Slated #2 for rewrite. Pitching #3. Currently on book four, a massive epic fantasy that will probably take the rest of the year to complete the draft.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished numero uno, but had written a few screenplays/short stories also. Always hear about how people write 4-5+ before they actually break through.

I sold my first, but from all I've read, and from experience with other writers, four to five is about average for those who eventually sell. Most, of course, never sell a novel, no matter how many they write, but for those who do, it probably will take several.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
1, to a small press. Then a stall on the second because it was the equivalent of fan fiction (media tie-in which wasn't commissioned). Next to a Big 5.

Jamesaritchie said:
Writing a good novel at all, prolifically or not, is a rare talent.

^^^ This!

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
Two.
The first novel I wrote was intensely horrible, simply because I had never tried it before. There's some good writing in it (IMNSHO), but I really didn't like it, so it sits somewhere, rotting on a hard drive.

The second novel I wrote will be published by a small traditional publisher on May 21. That said, I had a true crime book published before that by a different traditional publisher, so if the question were "books", I'd say ... well, two again.

Nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.