"I'm awesome!" Says Vet Who Shot Cat In The Head With Bow and Arrow/AKA Questions To Ask Your Vet

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
It's kind of interesting, though a far smaller issue perhaps, that it took TWO posts from this vet... erinarian, for the clinic she worked at to take any action at all.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether the school could retract her degree, but the state board could retract her vet license. I'd like to see that happen.

Imagine if you'd had a beloved pet put to sleep on her recommendation. We put our family dog to sleep when the vet told us she was in pain that would continue to get worse until she died, but it was a truly heart-wrenching decision, made solely because our vet convinced us it would be more merciful. If this nutcase had been the one to make the recommendation, I'd be haunted by the thought that she'd just wanted the fun of killing my dog.
And I wonder how many of her clients have had the same wretched thought since this story came out.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
How did they get the stallion se...nevermind...

Watch at your own risk! It was pretty much this exact procedure. A lot of stallions are worth millions. The owners won't risk them getting kicked by a mare who isn't quite in the mood. So this kind of AI is becoming increasingly common.

Gosh, you should have seen when my sister ordered chilled semen from an out-of-state stallion. Mom, Dad, Grandma, my sister, and I running out to meet the Fedex truck, yelling, "The semen is here!"

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watch at your own risk! It was pretty much this exact procedure. A lot of stallions are worth millions. The owners won't risk them getting kicked by a mare who isn't quite in the mood. So this kind of AI is becoming increasingly common.

Gosh, you should have seen when my sister ordered chilled semen from an out-of-state stallion. Mom, Dad, Grandma, my sister, and I running out to meet the Fedex truck, yelling, "The semen is here!"

Oh my.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
How did they get the stallion se...nevermind...

One of my biology professors used to do this as a summer job in grad school. He once told us in great detail about his adventures getting semen from a gigantic grumpy old boar named Whitey.

That's how you get a bunch of college kids' attention on a Friday afternoon.

Anyone have a bow and arrow?

Yes. Let's do this.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any great hope that there will be any prosecution.

I've lived in Texas my entire life. People have killed domestic animals on their property for as long as I can remember, and never once have I known there to be any sort of prosecution. I am absolutely certain a neighbor of mine lured my very friendly dog into the road and shot it there, so as to have shot it on public land rather than on my own - he'd pretty much told me he'd do so - nothing was done.

Maybe the public outcry will make a difference. I sure hope so. If it does, there's a chance that more people will hesitate before shooting their neighbor's pets. Unfortunately, though, most people around here simply deny they did anything. There's a saying here about the three S's: Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
There's a saying here about the three S's: Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

I've always heard that saying more applies to what happens when you find endangered species on your property and don't want any restrictions placed on your land but I have no doubt that we've got our fair share of yahoos who will apply the same principles to a neighbor's pet.

I did have an incident with one of my neighbors once but it was a kid who had just gotten an air rifle for his birthday. His parents were furious when I told them what happened and he lost the privilege of having the rifle immediately. (My cat was only slightly wounded in his flank and made a full recovery.) My neighbors also know to alert me if any of my barn cats are causing problems so that I can rehome them. No one has had any issues yet.

In this case I think that the existence of a hunting trophy-style photograph as well as the social media campaign will support any charges the DA decides to bring. If not, however, there's still the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the American Veterinary Medical Association. I'd almost say that facing the wrath of her colleagues is a better punishment than anything the judicial system has.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd certainly like as much as possible piled on - prosecute her, sue her, yank her license, bar her, whatever - but if only one was possible, I'd prefer the profession go after her.

If her license is pulled, even in one state, hopefully it'll keep her out of the profession for at least a good while or in most places.

Then maybe she'll be prosecuted, sued and still owe her vet school tuition. #justicefortiger.

Monkey - well, that solidified my disinterest in setting foot in Texas. Jesus.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If she is even censured by her licensing body, much less has the license revoked, then it will be tremendous hassle any time she applies for another license elsewhere or a professional position. She will always have to re-explain what happened. Professional censure follows you forever, as it should.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any great hope that there will be any prosecution.

I've lived in Texas my entire life. People have killed domestic animals on their property for as long as I can remember, and never once have I known there to be any sort of prosecution. I am absolutely certain a neighbor of mine lured my very friendly dog into the road and shot it there, so as to have shot it on public land rather than on my own - he'd pretty much told me he'd do so - nothing was done.

Maybe the public outcry will make a difference. I sure hope so. If it does, there's a chance that more people will hesitate before shooting their neighbor's pets. Unfortunately, though, most people around here simply deny they did anything. There's a saying here about the three S's: Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

Can't you legally shoot people who shoot your dog, in Texas?

But seriously, people who intentionally hurt animals are among the lowest of the low. A couple of years ago, in my village, we had a person leaving poisoned dogtreats in the streets. We never found out who it was, but emotions ran very high. Had this person been caught by anyone, it would have been very ugly indeed.

Sorry about your dog, Monkey.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Sincere thanks for the condolences.

As to legally shooting someone who was going to shoot your dog, I don't know. I know dogs are considered property, and you're allowed to shoot someone in order to protect property, but somehow, I don't think it would fly if it was a person pointing a gun at a dog and not, say, someone running off with your lamp.

It's a messed up world we live in, sometimes, but as regards animals, I think we're actually improving overall. Thank goodness.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com

As to legally shooting someone who was going to shoot your dog, I don't know. I know dogs are considered property, and you're allowed to shoot someone in order to protect property, but somehow, I don't think it would fly if it was a person pointing a gun at a dog and not, say, someone running off with your lamp.

It's a messed up world we live in, sometimes, but as regards animals, I think we're actually improving overall. Thank goodness.

Reminds me of that f*cked up case where a guy shot a prostitute dead over a hundred dollars. Not to mention he could've planted the money on her and invented the whole story. He walked. It's okay to end lives and tear families apart over inanimate objects.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

I'm sorry, too, Monkey.

The problem we're facing in my subdivision is poisoning. Two dogs that I know of have died. One of mine and two neighbors' dogs were very ill a couple of weeks ago and the vet suspects poisoning. Thing is, all three dogs are in fenced yards and of no danger--not that these goofy, friendly dogs would be in any case--and aren't nuisances. People quite simply suck.

There is hope, though, for more convictions in animal cruelty cases like this woman's and the Royse City firefighter who shot two labs earlier this year. They both boasted about their kills on FB. Texas laws are narrowly defined and leave too much leeway in sentencing, and there is the problem of having too few investigators. Still, convictions are growing in number up here in North and Northeast Texas. Under current law, if convicted these two could face from 180 days to 2 years in a state jail for each offense and up to a $10,000 fine. This is where there's too much leeway, etc. IMHO

If she is even censured by her licensing body, much less has the license revoked, then it will be tremendous hassle any time she applies for another license elsewhere or a professional position. She will always have to re-explain what happened. Professional censure follows you forever, as it should.

There's yet another bill in the Texas House to create a registry of those convicted of animal cruelty. Not holding out much hope for the passage of this one either, but the push continues. As does the push for stricter legislation.

There's hope.

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree.

She's got no business being a vet. Hopefully the publicity will convince her to find more gainful employment.

Like shoveling horse crap somewhere...

;)

As a person who shoveled horse crap for a living until very recently, and had my whole world revolve around the horses such that I had nightmares about them getting taken or hurt on a regular basis, I can say that shoveling horse crap is not the job for her...and too good for her, frankly ;)