Hello to all

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my name is J.M. Rohstod and I am very introverted, so this is very difficult for me. Most of the writing I’ve done so far has been for an academic audience: law reviews, a government report, and possibly a text book if my husband can convince the publisher that they need a criminal justice ethics textbook (I’m hopeful since they do not currently have one and because they initially approached us). It’s what most of you would likely consider pretty boring stuff. Well, you're wrong. It's not pretty boring; it's totally boring.

I’ve been working on more creative fiction recently, a book about werewolves of all things, and I’m looking for a place to inspire me to stay on track and see it through. I’m also trying to research how the publication process works, so I’ll be better prepared for that next step when it arrives. As much as I hate to say it, it seems you all have a much more rigorous process than academic publishing does!

I was told by a few of the folks in the English department that a place like this might do me some good. One said that it at least wouldn’t kill me. So here I am…hoping not to be killed.

I look forward to getting to know people here, and I look forward to reading your works!

Marianne Kirby

Blue Hair, Don't Care
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xojane.com
Welcome! I spent three years in educational publishing and producing a textbook is a lot of work. And criminal justice ethics sounds fascinating!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been working on more creative fiction recently, a book about werewolves of all things, and I’m looking for a place to inspire me to stay on track and see it through.

Werewolves in Washington state? Nah. It's never been done, 'cause who'd ever think it?

In the Oregon woods, however, we have some spotted wereowls and along the coast are some weresealions. Of course, in Portland, every other person is a Grimm or werewhatever.

:welcome:! Watch out for silver bullets and have a sprig of garlic. :D

Indubitably

I Followed the Hair Loss Ads
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, JM! Don't worry, this is a friendly group here! You'll be glad you came! :)

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
Werewolves in Washington state? Nah. It's never been done, 'cause who'd ever think it?

In the Oregon woods, however, we have some spotted wereowls and along the coast are some weresealions. Of course, in Portland, every other person is a Grimm or werewhatever.

:welcome:! Watch out for silver bullets and have a sprig of garlic. :D

Oh! An editor! I might need one of those. I thought about posting the entire novel line-by-line on some site; I sort of figured someone would eventually come along to correct my grammar (probably in a mean way, but I guess that's fine). Paying someone would probably be more efficient, effective, and wise.

I bookmarked your site for when I'm at that part of the process. I just hope you're not some weresealion trickster, luring people who write terrible werewolf novels with the tempting promise to fix their terrible ellipses usage, bad spelling, and misplaced commas.

Thanks for the post and for making me chuckle!

Last edited:

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Writing a textbook would be great and werewolves are a well loved creature in the world of speculative fiction. I look forward to hearing more about your projects and how they progress! Keep us updated!

So far, I've found this site to be really nice and busting with information. Hopefully you'll have the same experience!

rohstod

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, Paragraphic!

I am really enjoying the community so far--having fun responding in the first-three-sentences thread.

Writing a textbook is going to be a TON of work. Right now I'm reading every criminal justice ethics textbook I can get, which is both interesting and tedious. If that makes sense.