How many conferences do you go to, How does someone with little money afford to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to go to some conferences, but I can't afford to pay $400 (or more) plus travel plus housing.

I know there are scholarships, which I'll definitely look into, but I imagine these are not given out to many people.

How do you afford it? Do you just go to one/two a year?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In fifteen years I think I have been to four, mostly when they were local. While they were fun I don't think my presence there had any particular effect on my writing career, such as it is.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I go to too many a year. :) It's partly vacation for me, to be honest. A chance to hang out with writers. I can afford it because I have a really nice dayjob.

My suggestion would be to try to find local ones to go to, even for just a day. Is there a particular genre you write in?

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
I go to too many a year. :) It's partly vacation for me, to be honest. A chance to hang out with writers. I can afford it because I have a really nice dayjob.

My suggestion would be to try to find local ones to go to, even for just a day. Is there a particular genre you write in?

Cool, yeah I write sci-fi and I'm in Boston. I think I missed the boat on a couple conferences that happened a few months ago.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Cool, yeah I write sci-fi and I'm in Boston. I think I missed the boat on a couple conferences that happened a few months ago.

Readercon in Burlington. I went last year, just for two days (no hotel, since I'm local). I don't expect it helped my career (although I was able to meet my agent face-to-face!), but it was lots of fun.

http://readercon.org

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
Readercon in Burlington. I went last year, just for two days (no hotel, since I'm local). I don't expect it helped my career (although I was able to meet my agent face-to-face!), but it was lots of fun.

http://readercon.org

Awesome, thanks! This looks totally affordable too!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Well, the nice thing is that local SF/F conferences tend to be pretty inexpensive on the whole. Boston has Arisia and Boskone, but they're early in the year...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would rather have dental and gynecological work done at the same time than go to a conference of any kind.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
haha why is that exactly?

LOL. I had to go to work conferences with my previous job and they were so boring and annoying. I hope you get to go to a writer's conference though, since you want to!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Writers' conferences are a bit different than media conferences/fan gatherings, and both are completely different animals than tech and trade show conferences.

You get out of them what you are willing to put in. Not necessarily time and money, but your willingness to engage and come out of your writerly shell. (Con organizers will tell you to volunteer. Maybe, but make sure you're not going to be used as unappreciated slave labor and be kept in the dark all con. That happened with my very first con in 1988, and impressed on me the reluctance to volunteer unless I know the organization very well.)

Go, scope out panels and discussions, talk to people, LISTEN to them rather than talk at them. Practice your elevator pitches until they are smooth but not smarmy - the chances of selling a mms at a con are minute, but you'll find people are interested in what you do.

This, from someone who last attended a literary conference in 2011 (North American Discworld Convention, that cost nearly $4K for the two of us), a NASFic in 1999 (cost around $500, with room-share, which I'm not doing again), and my last full local con was 20 years ago. I do not count four hours spent at Phoenix ComicCon. :) I'm psyching myself up for another local con this year. I'd *love* to go to Sasquan or GayRomLit or RT Con, given the various genres I write in. Some of the panels will have new info for me, and it's always fun to meet folks. But none of that is happening for me this year, because I am a freelance artist with precarious income swings, a dangerously old car, and a lot of debt. Finding $40 for a supporting membership to Sasquan, so I can vote in the Hugos - that was three hours of work at my steadiest freelance job.

Conventions can be fun and career-changing from all the networking you might do. But they probably won't have an effect on your day-to-day writing.

amyall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribery.net
It's not entirely the same thing but I'm attending this free "online" writers conference today and tomorrow. It's mostly a collection of pre-recorded videos and blog articles that are posted during the day but there are a few live Google Hangouts and twitter chats with indie authors and industry folks.

I think it's been useful more to help network than anything but there are some good topics going on.

I've never been to an actual writers conference but I'd love to see what it's like some day. Until then, this will have to do it for me. ^_^

Best of luck to you and maybe I'll see you at this online conference!
http://indierecon.org/

- A

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
Try the 52 Week Money Challenge. You start out with $1 and put aside increasing amounts each week until week 52, you put in $52 and will have saved a total of $1378. It's how I was able to get to RT Booklovers Convention the last three years.

Cool thanks for the idea. I'm working sporadically part-time right now, so I don't have too too much to spare, but as soon as I get something more full-timey I'll hopefully start saving.

Although it's sounding like conferences are more of a thing you do for fun instead of a thing you do because it's necessary to get repped.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I afford conferences by being paid to speak at them.

I agree. I am smug.

They can be really fun things to go to. But they are absolutely NOT NECESSARY in the search for representation. All you need to find an agent is to write a really good book, and to query it appropriately.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Okay, look, I'm a small press author, and I go to a TON of conferences, book fairs, art events, comic cons and workshops. I think I did eleven last year, and I'll do twelve this year. I have TONS of expenses for going, but I also sell more print books when I’m there in person than I would by just having them sit on a shelf (partly because my contract with my former publisher did not involve distribution of print books). AND I’m definitely one to see how much I can do for as little as possible.

BUT my reason for going is WAY different than a beginning writer.
I go to network. I go to promote my stuff. There are some cons I go to for the sheer number of attendees, I get a booth, and try to sell stuff. That’s more and more lately, as there seem to be fewer and fewer actual bookstores in my geographical area than ever before.

A beginning writer might want to go to a conference to learn about the industry, to learn about writing, to learn about genre, and to learn about submissions and self-pub and all the ins and outs that get talked about. They need to start learning and networking and all those other crazy and incredible things.

Networking has done more for me than straight slush pile submissions, but that’s because I network A LOT. It’s gotten me leads, friends, connections, and all kinds of wonderful fun memories, as well as a network of writers and editors and artists that I can contact for questions.

I’m also a government employee, so I’m not getting rich anytime soon, regardless of what many people seem to believe. I also do some part time work, in part to cover my travel expenses, in part to pay down my student loans faster, and in part to do extra work on my house. That’s not a solution for everyone.

So how do you attend a conference on a budget?

Geographical location.

Depending on where you live, there might be a local conference or workshop within reasonable driving distance and you might save yourself a hotel fee. If a convention is within an hour’s drive, a lot of times, I will drive back and forth to save myself the money in a hotel. I can then eat breakfast at home, see my guys, pack a sandwich for lunch if I want, and take my own water bottle to keep from buying water at a hotel. If there isn’t one within a reasonable driving distance, look and see if there’s one within a reasonable driving distance of a friend or relative’s house.

I live 45 minutes from Dayton, Ohio and 50 minutes from Columbus, Ohio. My brother and sister in law live in Cincinnati. Any of those three cities are ones that I can either stay at home or with my brother, and save hundreds. My only cost then is gas, parking, and food.

Volunteer.

Some conventions will allow you to earn a free or discounted badge if you volunteer some time helping with the logistics of the con. This could be anything from stuffing conference bags, to working the registration desk to running schedules and paperwork to picking up guests at the airport. It’s a great way to network, it’s a great way to see what goes on behind the scenes, and most of the time the staff of a conference are way overworked and pulled in four hundred million different directions by the time the conference actually starts. DO NOT let them totally monopolize your time, but there are some good ones that will swap a badge, or a reduced cost badge for a specified number of hours of volunteering, so ask specifically what the requirements are.

As a published author, I volunteer to appear on panels; this is an easy way to get a comped badge at a local conference or convention, but doesn’t work so well at the big ones unless you’ve got a great hook, a big name, or some reason why you would be a draw to the attendees. This is probably not an option for a beginner, unless it’s a fan run topic (like a popular television show) and you can somehow pitch yourself as knowledgeable enough to be an authority. Keep in mind that this normally also involves more than one panel. I’ve been known to do as many as ten in 48 hours, but I like doing them. I can hear the introverts shudder from across the interwebs.

Con Suite.

Check and see if the conference you’re looking at has a con suite; sometimes it’s a great place to grab a sandwich, a bit of caffeine, and a place to sit down and take a break without feeling like you’ve got to buy something in a coffee shop or a bar. Not all conferences have them; when they do exist, they’re awesome.

Get a conference buddy to split costs.

If there’s nothing in your area (and if you’re in Ohio, I beg to differ on that one), then you might not be able to get out of hotel costs or travel costs. Then it’s about finding someone interested in joining you that you might be able to split your hotel costs and travel costs. Obviously you can’t split an airplane ticket, but if it’s within reasonable driving distance, splitting gas and parking costs is a great way to get there. Splitting hotel costs is another way to keep costs down. You might also be able to see if there’s a way to bring some of your food along as well, to have cheaper things on hand (peanut butter, granola bars, your own pack of Coke Zero, etc.).

I’ve got a friend of mine that I’m attending a couple of conferences with in order to keep costs manageable. We’re going to Chicago later this year (6-8 hours drive, depending on where we leave from, her house or mine). We’ve split the table fee for putting our books out for sale. We’re splitting the hotel room. We’ll split up the gas, parking, and tolls. We’ll probably pack things to take to keep some costs down. Total cost will be still a bit pricey, but about 40% less than doing all of this by myself. And…since we’ve done cons together in the past and are good friends, we’ll have a great time.

Miscellaneous tips…
• Ask friends and family to give you gas cards for your birthday and Christmas to defray driving costs for conferences.
• Ditto for gift cards for chain restaurants near where you’re going (if nothing else, makes a great gift to the person who might be letting you couch surf).
• Doing the $52 week savings challenge is a great idea to get yourself a nest egg and a budget.
• SET A BUDGET. Don’t blow your credit card for a great weekend. Budget for what you think you’ll spend…and give yourself a 10% cushion for “just in case”.
• Remember to take good notes and make it all worthwhile; going and then not writing anything down is kinda meaningless…

Last edited:

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, yeah I had thought that volunteering could be an option. thanks for all the tips!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For a number of years, 15 or so, I took in one conference a year. Sometimes that could be arranged with travel for another reason (once my sister-in-law's wedding), sometimes not. It was never cheap. I live in a fairly remote place (Alaska), and travel from there is never cheap. But I was willing to foot the bill.

Until about ten years ago, following a couple of truly disheartening experiences at major conferences, which have left me never wanting to subject myself to such crap ever again.

I haven't attended one since.

caw

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I've learned a lot about the industry and met some great folks, including a few critique partners. I've also improved my craft. I now only attend a conference that is exclusive (about 30% of applicants get in.) I've gone twice.

I also attend local workshops with agents and editors. I write for children. The local SCBWI chapter runs these. The cost is less than $50 for a few hours. (Member rates are discounted from that.)

I would go to others, but I have time, money, and child care issues.

Do some research on the conference before attending. You want to get your money's worth.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I would love to go to some conferences, but I can't afford to pay $400 (or more) plus travel plus housing.

I know there are scholarships, which I'll definitely look into, but I imagine these are not given out to many people.

How do you afford it? Do you just go to one/two a year?

I struggle to afford to go to cons, but try to attend when I can: they're important for keeping in touch with my writing friends, and making a few new ones. i'm not much of a "networking" person but I still see a benefit from meeting people at cons, and there's something about the energy at a writing con that really charges me up and keeps me focused on my work.

To keep costs down, here's some of the tips I've picked up:

• Stay local: it's not always possible, but the closer the con, the cheaper your travel costs are going to be.
  • Carshare
  • Share a hotel/B&B room with friends
  • If you're not willing to share rooms with friends, shop around for the best hotel room rates. Local budget hotels are your friend here, but don't overlook the convention's own special rates for hotels -- most cons have a "budget" partnered hotel and the rates are usually really competitive.
  • Plan ahead for food: scope out good quality food at good prices. Don't eat at the convention hotel, it's usually expensive -- carry Larabars or Questbars if you need a quick pick-me-up at the event.
  • Volunteer! Volunteer staff get free membership and other perks, and it gives you a different view of the convention. It's super tiring work though, so not so good for anyone with chronic illness or disabilities.
  • You mentioned scholarships, and it's true, most cons have reduced rates and even free memberships for those in difficult circumstances -- but unemployed people also get a reduced rates at a few UK cons and it's worth inquiring at your local cons. (Also, make sure to apply to the scholarships! It's easy to say 'oh, there won't be much chance of getting that' and then not applying... which is one reason why scholarship applications are often low. Don't self-reject!)
  • If times are really desperate, or you're only rushing past the con hotel on the way to see work or family, you can "bar con" -- meet up with writer friends at the con hotel bar instead of attending the con itself. But try to keep this as a last resort, the con runners work hard and deserve the membership fee.

Last edited:

stephsco

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniescott.net
Great thread! I agree with starting out local. The first author thing I went to when I was just learning to write was very inexpensive (or free? can't recall) and held at a small college. Another one was through a library. It helps to ask around at which cons are worth while that offer what you're looking for. My needs have shifted too; at first I was all about craft and learning how to write. Now I'm gradually doing more networking now that I have a genre and contacts in the industry. I just went to a local conference that was just OK and ended up being pricey compared to others I've been to, so it's kind of a toss up.

Status
Not open for further replies.