Possible market for writing essay?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Every once in a while I'll write a piece for my blog, then decide that it deserves wider circulation (I'm very modest). This happened recently with an essay on the vicissitudes of the aging writer. It's actually a funny piece, though the issues raised are serious. I thought it would be a good fit for magazines aimed at writers, and my agent submitted it to the obvious suspects. No takers. Now I'd like to try some ezines or other online writers' venues...but only places that will pay. I'm not interested in giving work away for "exposure."

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Every once in a while I'll write a piece for my blog, then decide that it deserves wider circulation (I'm very modest). This happened recently with an essay on the vicissitudes of the aging writer. It's actually a funny piece, though the issues raised are serious. I thought it would be a good fit for magazines aimed at writers, and my agent submitted it to the obvious suspects. No takers. Now I'd like to try some ezines or other online writers' venues...but only places that will pay. I'm not interested in giving work away for "exposure."

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Who are the "obvious suspects"? I have had some luck selling personal essays to newspapers, but I'm not sure if you are talking about a personal essay or something else. If you already posted your essay on your blog, I imagine it will be tough to sell it to anywhere. If it was never on your blog, you might want to try The Rumpus or Salon. Maybe you tried them already.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Thanks, GettingBy. I think she submitted to some writer magazines--I need to get a list. It is a personal essay, and I didn't post it on my blog. That's always a fallback, but I thought this might be a piece I could sell. Thanks for those suggestions. I'm not familiar with the Rumpus, so will remedy that at once.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]